Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #1 
Aequilo

New betta hobbyist: Please help me a bit.

Hi, I'm new here. :D

I have not ever had a betta before, so I'm sure it'll be intresting to take up a new hobby without any experience.

I HAVE A NEW LIST. :D

Tomorrow I'm getting (for cycling):
1. the Aquarium (might be 5 gallons instead of 6; I've been checking out prices and 5 seems to be a better deal)
2. Gravel
3. Filter if I don't get the aquarium kit with the filter included
4. heater (5 watts per gallon)
5. Thermometer
6. Dechlorinator: Prime
7. Test kit
8. Pure ammonia (also called Clear ammonia; no ingredients other than ammonia and water)
9. Decorations, places to hide
10. Silk plants

And then after it cycles I'm getting:
1. Betta food (suggestions would be nice)
2. Bloodworms or brine shrimp as treats
3. Tube siphon
4. Algea scraper (would be handy)
5. FISH!

Okay, moving onto daily/weekly scheduling:
1. Feed twice daily, around 3-4 pellets of food.
2. Twice a week, feed bloodworms or brine shrimp instead of the pellets.
3. Once a week, do the 25% water change with the siphon-ing.
4. BE HAPPY WITH FISH. :D

Is there anything wrong with my schedule/my list? If so, TELL ME. Can't do it on my own. :P
Please and thank you,
Aequilo
Aequilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #2 
okiemavis

Welcome to FishForum! I'm glad to see you're properly researching your betta before getting him, I'm sure he'll be one very happy fish!

1. Artificial plants are fine, and your fish will appreciate the hiding/resting places. Just make sure they're silk, not plastic, as the plastic is too rough and can cut his fins.
2. I'm not sure about the water flow of the Eclipse, but many have an adjustable water flow. You'll want to look for a longer, shorter tank versus a tall one, as bettas are top dwelling fish and will prefer space in that direction.
3. A tank needs to build up the bacteria that breaks down fish waste. This is what keeps toxins from building up in between water changes. We call this the nitrogen cycle or "cycling". Here's a link to some more info: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=343
4. I'd also get a lid for the tank. Bettas are known to be jumpers and don't swim very well on your rug!
5. One other thing I'd recommend looking up is "acclimating fish"- so that you don't shock the fish when you add him to your properly cycled tank. Also, you may want to look into types of bettas and where to get one. Most pet store bettas are mutts- not that they aren't cool, they can be great pets! But they aren't generally as beautiful as a properly bred one, and can often have a lot more health problems. There are some very reputable breeders on AquaBid.com, and these bettas are generally much younger than pet store bettas, which is nice.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #3 
Meatpuppet

dont forget betta food. pellets or flakes.
and a turkey baster is probly the most handy tool i have for the aquarium. i recomend one of those too.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #4 
Aequilo

Thank you very much.
I understand how to cycle now.
For the size fish tank I'm getting [6 gallons] I judge I will need to clean it 25% about three times a week. I get this from; a large fish tank [10 gallons+] needing once a week 10-15% and a bowl needing half every other day. BUT, I have another question; do I need a A Hose with a Debris Siphon, or am I fine with the filter and the changes? It's a smallish tank with one fish that will be properly cared for...so yeah. If I don't, less money for me to spend. :D If I do, ehh...it's fine.
I'm going to fishless cycle, I'm not much of a risktaker and I don't want my poor fishy to die

EDIT: I read up on acclimating fish. :D
EDIT AGAIN: I changed 20% to 25...I had a scatterbrained moment.
EDIT AGAIN AGAIN (lots-o-edits): If it was required that I had a hose with a debris siphon, could I substitute a turky baster? Or would that just be cutting corners?

Thanks,
Aequilo
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #5 
ErinBBC

For a six gallon tank with gravel, you'd need a siphon, but they are pretty cheap usually five bucks or so. Turkey basters are good for picking up larger pieces of debris (like uneaten food pellets) but the smaller pieces are easier to get at with a siphon...also you can use a siphon to empty water for water changes and it's easier than using a cup to scoop the water out.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #6 
It'sJames

You can do 25% water changes three times a week, but it would definatly be overkill. That's asuming the tank is filtered and the betta is the only fish. I would do 25% once a week. If you add other fish you may want to do two 25% changes a week, but it depends.

I would definatly recommend the gravel siphon. It's easier than a turkey baster. If you're going to be doing a water change, you might as well spend the extra two minutes and vac the gravel, to remove uneaten food and waste. The water will stay cleaner for longer with all the junk removed during water changes.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #7 
Aequilo

Thanks for the help. :D

So, I need a siphon. Right.
And 1 water change would be fine? I'm an extremely paranoid perfectionist type of person lol. Okay, I shall right that down.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #8 
okiemavis

One 25% change a week is FINE for a single betta in a 6 gallon tank. If you add some other critters to your tank, you may consider upping the regimen a little, but with a good filter you should be fine even if there are a couple shrimp/snails as well.

In fact, you'd probably like adding a snail or a shrimp. Provided your betta doesn't want to kill it (which it might, it really depends on the individual betta), it will make the tank livelier and do a good job cleaning up any food your betta doesn't eat. A lot of snails, and particularly shrimp, are great algae eaters to boot (I'm into critters doing my work for me!). If you do add one of those critters, it's probably a good idea to add it before the betta. That way the betta will think of it as part of the tank, and not get all pissed when you suddenly add something to "his" territory.

Just to clarify, you're aware that cycling a tank is different than water changes, right?

Do you know what kind you want? Check out this halfmoon I've been eyeing- I need more tanks!:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1215317763
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #9 
Aequilo

Heh. I'd never thought about getting him a snail-buddy. Could possibly look into it.

I understand what cycling is, and I intend to get the tank and everything that goes in it, plus the pure ammonia stuff before I get the fish and let it cycle. I don't want to hurt him.

I've actually thought either a half-moon or veiltail, depending on the variety there is for each when I'm ready to buy. I might get it off AquaBid, I might pick up a random fish at Petsmart, depending on how long it takes to cycle. :D

EDIT: I didn't click the link first, but that's a lovely shade of red. Beautiful Betta.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #10 
Flashygrrl

You can always just do a fishless cycle by tossing some fish food in and letting it decay and release ammonia. Less complicated.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote