Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #1 
Peachgirl

A little Advice would be wonderful ^^

Hello! I just joined because i figured it would be useful and definitely the right place to look for help on Bettas if i ever were to need it and how to help my Betta be more comfy.

Well a little about my Betta. His name is Toshu and I have him in a somewhat small little fish bowl. Theres a picture of him on the Betta fish pic thread. The reason i got a smaller one with no filers or such was....welll because of money of course ^^;. I got him for my dorm room so i could have a friend while there to keep me company so I got him now, two months before so we could get use to each other and have proper care plans etc before moving into the new dorm.

The only pet my dorm will allow are fish. And well i just read the rules again and it said any tanks 10 gal or less. So I do plan on getting him a larger tank and filters and more when I get a part time job while in college. Then i can make room for it and plan it out in the dorm before i get it. But regardless of that, Its not an incredibly small case hes in now, If you guys want a better picture Id be willing to take another. Im really concerned about making my fish comfortable in his new home.

My mother thinks im rediculous for asking so many questions I think she finds me slightly irritating XD! But anyway i figured you guys wouldn't mind all too much. So a few questions below!

1. What size tank is good thats under ten gallons with filters and such? (Not incredibly big I'll have to move it around every year @_@. And im not sure about holidays, dont want anything getting stolen ^^; )
2. What kind of decoration is appropriate for Toshu? What type of plants etc.
3. I feed him the little Betta Bits 3 little balls twice a day so i assume thats good =D.
4. The little bowl i have now has a lid with two holes, thats enough air i hope =O.
5. I used normal tap water to fill it. (I hope this isnt like ZOMG HORRIBLE IM GOING TO SHANK YOU FOR TORTURING YOUR FISH WITH TAP WATER. Im not sure ^^; We have a filter on our sink so is that suitable water from the filter? When people say Dechlorinized and Distilled I think of like frozen glacier water for some reason XD.
6. How often should I clean his little place as i have it now?
7. What kind of fish are good to keep in a large tank with the Betta?
8. Um anything you guys wanna add would be great thanks ^^
Peachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #2 
ErinBBC

Here goes, hope this helps (and I think it's never wrong to ask tons of questions, better that than kill your fish, tell your mom she should be proud of you for being responsible)

1. Any brand of glass or acrylic aquarium will work. 3-6 gallons is good, I have a 5 gallon Eclipse Hex tank. It came with a filter but it was too strong for Marley (bettas cannot swim against a current) so I bought a Tetra Whisper in tank filter/air pump combo pack for under ten bucks. Any small non-powerhead driven filter will do.
2. Any decorations are fine as long as they have no sharp edges - bettas like hiding places so cave type things are good. Stick with silk plants as plastic ones can rip their fins.
3. Feeding pellets is good as a staple diet, you can also buy freeze dried bloodworms (found in most pet stores) as a supplement a couple of times a week.
4. Make sure that the betta is able to have room between the lid and the water - they have an organ that allows them to 'gulp' air from the surface of the water and if they don't have the room they will 'drown.'
5. Tap water is good, do not use distilled. Make sure you TREAT the tap water with water conditioner which removes harmful chemicals that will kill your fish - sold at any pet store for a few dollars, don't add any water until you have this!!
6. You should do partial water changes every other day, do not change it all at once and make sure that the new water is the same temperature as the water in his container. Remove poop with a turkey baster daily.
7. Don't keep any fish in a tank with a betta - they are only compatible with a few breeds of fish and if you keep them with those fish you need a tank bigger than 10 gallons so that the betta won't kill them. You can possibly have a small snail or ghost shrimp but most likely the betta will eat them.
8. Also buy a water test kit or strips ASAP. That way if the ammonia gets too high or the pH is too high or low you'll know to add the proper chemicals to neutralize the ammonia or change the pH. Once you have a proper tank set up, it will stabilize and you won't have to do that as much.

How long do you plan on having your betta in the small container with no heater or filter? If you go ahead and buy a cheap sponge filter driven by an air pump you can cut it down to a smaller size to fit in his container and that would help alot. The filter plus air pump plus the hose to connect it all would cost less than ten bucks. Just do a Google search for 'Lee's Dual Action Foam Filter' and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also try to keep the temperature in the house from getting too low as bettas need temperatures in the high 70s constantly.

Many people have come here and are shocked by the fact that betta fish need the same stuff as other fish, this is why bettas kept in small unheated unfiltered bowls only live for a few months (usually). I'm glad that you did your homework and are going to give your fish a good home! I hope the suggestions you find here will help you keep him happy and healthy until he gets his big house.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #3 
Peachgirl

Most certainly. I definitely thank you for your help and time. I will be going by the pet sotre to get the water treatment tomorrow as its already 1AM here now ^^. Im sure Toshu will be ok for the night. Now I was contemplating about having so much air above him but after your comment about the air im glad i did. Its more then halfway filled but not to the rim. I seen him going up for air when i was gazing at him so now i know why ^^.

Another thing. When I treat the water he cant be in it im assuming? Is there a certain amount of time i should wait before putting him back in te treated water or will that all be on the instructions of the bottle?

About the filter and heater and all that jazz. Do i have to have the tank in order to have one or will it fit neatly in the little container i have him in now? Will it fit in all types of tanks/ holding places?

When i change the water every other day you say not all at once. So like half or a little? This applies to a larger tank as well?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #4 
It'sJames

Is the filter on the sink a Reverse Osmosis system? If I had to guess, it probably is. Thats absolutely perfect - no need for water treatments for RO water. Just make sure that's what it is before you ditch the treatments.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #5 
ErinBBC

I'd just treat the new water, wait a couple minutes and then change the water out.

They make heaters and filters based on the size of the aquarium...say you have a 1 gallon now and you get a heater and filter for it, when you buy a 5 gallon you'll have to buy a new heater and filter. If you're not going to be keeping him in the small container long he'll be okay without it. If he'll be there awhile then you should at least get a filter, sometimes they don't make heaters for tanks smaller than 2 gallons. Filters are cheap anyway.

25% water changes will do fine, when you get a larger tank then you can just do a 25% water change once a week after the tank has 'cycled.' This means that benefical bacteria has built up and it will 'eat' the fish's poop. When you get your big tank you can read the Betta Care and FAQ post and it'll tell you what cycling is and what to expect (for example your tank will get cloudy at first).

Also when you are in your dorm, make sure your roomies don't feed the betta unless you tell them to. Bettas always act hungry but overfeeding can hurt or even kill your fish. AND make sure your tank has a hood, or a piece of Saran wrap with holes punched in it over the top - bettas can and do jump!!

Going off to college and being on your own will be such an awesome time in your life, and having Toshu there will only make it better!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBBC
8. Also buy a water test kit or strips ASAP. That way if the ammonia gets too high or the pH is too high or low you'll know to add the proper chemicals to neutralize the ammonia or change the pH. Once you have a proper tank set up, it will stabilize and you won't have to do that as much.
Please don't suggest test strips to anyone. They aren't worth the paper they're made of. We usually try to have people buy the API liquid test kit because it's approximately the same price as some of those 6-in-1 strips, are far more accurate, and you get a TON of tests out of them.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #7 
Peachgirl

Thanks Erin! And everyone else who put input ^^;. Im going to the store today with all this printed out to see what I can come up with ^^. I'll look at tank prices as well so i know what to expect as far as money goes. I might have to get it a little at a time, but i'll definitely get the water treatment for the first time just to be safe. I'll also read up on cycling and tell my roomie not to feed him ^^.

The Lee's filters i looked at that you suggested at first are just like tubes with a foam base how exactly do those work?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #8 
ErinBBC

Someone earlier suggested Reverse Osmosis water, but in another post everyone was saying not to use it because it does not have essential minerals so I'd do some research on that before you use it if that's the kind of filter you have.

The sponge filter hooks up to an air pump, the pump gives air to beneficial bacteria which 'eat' the betta's poop and other waste. It's good for small areas or delicate fish. When you get a bigger tank you might want to switch to an in-tank filter because it will filter particles out of the water and you won't have to siphon the gravel as often...at least that's been my experience.

Also Flashygrrrl - is there a good online store to buy a liquid test kit? The 2 pet stores near me only carry strips, and one carries a saltwater liquid test kit but not a freshwater.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #9 
Peachgirl

I see ok thank you! I really appreciate the help. Ill definitely post again if i come up with any questions.

Oh yes, When i get the bloodworms for once or twice a week should i give him the worm instead of the bits or both?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #10 
Flashygrrl

Here's the cheapest: http://www.petsolutions.com/Liquid-M...01034+C46.aspx

You can also try http://drfostersmith.com or http://bigalsonline.com if you need other stuff that Pet Solutions doesn't carry.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote