Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #11 
ErinBBC

When you give him the bloodworms just feed him that instead of the betta bits and watch him go crazy!!
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #12 
okiemavis

You can't feed only bloodworms- they're fatty and nutritionally deficient, so they will give me health problems. Feed blood worms as a treat and don't let him gorge himself. A high quality pellet food should be the stable diet, and then you can mix it up with veggies, freeze dried, frozen and even live food.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #13 
Peachgirl

Ok I got all the stuff. A really nice friend took me to petsmart to get his things! So now he has a nice 2 gallon tank with a light and filter and all ^^ I got him the water conditioner and ill feed him the worms once or twice a week ^^. I also got him a little bridge to hide under and a softer plant he seems really happy ^^. Thanks for all your help guys.

Edit: Yaya i got the bloodworms as a treat not staple food ^^
Peachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #14 
Peachgirl

Hm He seems to be puffing up a lot and swimming around rather rapidly. Do you think the filter and bubbles are scaring him?

I got him one of those octagon shaped looking tanks. I didnt think hed be able to see his reflection. I dont think thats the issue but the tank was expensive so i hope its not the tank thats the problem.

the male bettas do that when they see another male.
it could be stuck because
1. theres something stuck in his gills
2. there is a mirror nearby
3. it is dark and the tank light is on which creates a mirror effect on the inside of the glass

I found the above answer through yahoo. Is it wise to keep the light off at night time when my lights are off? Or when should I have the lights on?
Old 07-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #15 
Flashygrrl

I dunno, he probably sees himself. Mine thinks the filter is funny, he likes to show off how he can swim past the filter intake without getting his fins sucked in, he swims under the water flow too.

You should always have the light off at night, they need their sleep too :) Just make sure that when you turn it on and off there's always some kind of ambient lighting in the room so it doesn't totally shock them.

Did you get a heater for him? You should always have one in the tank (and plugged in), just in case his tank temp goes below 78 cuz they don't like that. You can get a pre-set one for pretty cheap and just have a thermometer in the tank too(not those silly stick-on ones for the outside of the tank).
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #16 
okiemavis

Just give him a chance to get used to his new tank. It's probably really exciting. He'll calm down- no worries!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #17 
Peachgirl

Ok thanks that helped a lot ^^;

I dont have a heater in his tank but its only a 2 gallon and im having problems finding one for it or that will fit. The water only comes up 8 inches
Minus the rocks only 7. I think i found one that is 25 watt, problem is of course its a bit of money i probably wont have for another week. Is there anything I can do until then to make the water stay warmer?

Also the Freeze dried Bloodworms. The back of theones i got the instructions on how to feed the fish are kinda false. It says "Feed three times a day and give fish as many as it an consume in one minute." Since this is only a treat for Toshu and not his staple diet but i am replacing the staple with the treat for the one time a week i do give him how many should i give him. In the morning i fed him bits so later in the day i was gonna give him 1 worm is that enough?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #18 
ErinBBC

Look online for the small heaters, they aren't usually carried in pet stores. Try www.thatpetplace.com. I believe a company called Hydra makes heaters especially for 1-3 gallon tanks and they are cheap (less than ten bucks last time I came across one).

As for the worms, I usually replace two pellet meals per week with the worms. I drop in 2 or 3 depending on the size as some worms are bigger than others. Make sure you wash your hands after you handle them because some folks are allergic.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #19 
Peachgirl

Ah ha wonderful ok thank you ill definitely check out that website. The one i found was 30$ @_@
Old 07-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #20 
Flashygrrl

LOL, Hydor. They're flat.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote