Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #1 
Nibblez

Water conditioners

So for the first time ever, i visited petbarn (aussie version of petco i guess). Anyways, I saw Prime for the first time ever and i always see the mention of Prime as a good water conditioner. I have the 1oz bottle of API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme and i have been using it up till now, so far its fine but i've got barely much left.

Since i was there at the store and all the water conditioners were available in different sizes, i figured it would be a good time to stock up. The thing is, i'm not sure which to use. I looked at the Stress Coat and and Prime and they seem to do roughly the same thing. The Stress Zyme seems to have a whole other use of its own. And i also got the API Quick Start for a NPT im about to get ready.

Would it be better to stick with the Stress Coat and Stress Zyme together? Or to use Stress Zyme together with Prime? Would using Quick Start on my NPT together with either combination be alright since Prime and Stress coat also have beneficial bacteria in them. I presume these water conditioners should be sufficient unless theres anything else.

Last edited by Nibblez; 04-22-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #2 
bniebetta

Most people would recommend prime. I use it and it seems to be great. I tend to distrust common shelf brands and stick with the higher quality stuff that a lot of people don't know about
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I use Prime it is a great water conditioner but it doesnt have beneficial bacteria it and the Stress Coat doesnt have beneficial bacteria it in either as far as I know I have never heard of it having any in it.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #4 
ryancalif

I primarily use NovAqua+ and Stress coat+. I like the added electrolytes, vitamins, and robust slime coat additives that these conditioners have compared to Prime.

I've used Prime in the past but I think it's overrated for what it does. It essentially just turns tap water in to dechlorinated tap water, making for very sterile water... which doesn't really simulate a fish's natural environment as well as other conditioners do.

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-22-2013 at 03:45 PM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 
Nibblez

Thanks for the help! I had a close look at the bottles and it seems the the API Stress Coat+ says that is also has aloe vera as well but prime says its provides slime coat, so i presume that there really isnt much difference is there, just personal preferences.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

I would go for Prime. It is very concentrated and really fish don't need vitamins/slime coat additives pumped into their water to be healthy.

I am not a fan of API water conditioners. The only time my goldfish tank had a cycle crash was when I ran out of Prime and used an API brand conditioner. They also seem to have a much higher dosage than Prime.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #7 
Nibblez

So prime alone would be sufficient? Thinking of stocking up on medication as well, what would be recommended? API BettaFix?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah Prime is fine. Don't use any of the API 'fix' products for your bettas. They are useless at best and harmful at worst. Tea tree oil is said to affect the labyrinth organ of bettas (don't know how true it is), and those medications do nothing that clean water, good food and IAL can't.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #9 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblez View Post
but prime says its provides slime coat
Prime actually doesn't provide a slime coat. If you read the bottle, you'll see that it "promotes the fish's natural ability to produce a slime coat". I'm not entirely sure what that means though to be honest (my background is in engineering, not biology, lol).
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #10 
Nibblez

Alright, might pay another visit to petbarn then, was pretty rushed cause my friend was staring over me impatiently.... :P