Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #1 
nel3

is my equipement safe again?

on the 7th of the month my VT died from a tumour between the mouth and left eye. it was a predictable outcome as it was there for a few months. around 6 hours before he died, he was isolated a passed there without doing anything to his previous tank mates 5g tank. i had the items in AQ salt water 2tsp for the total 2l for 4-6 days. then i went with bleach solution on all items for 5 days. i just took out the ornaments and heater yesterday and rinsed them 3x and left to dry. i'll rinse them again later before deciding to put them back in the tank. there was some algea on the ornaments so im a bit concerned if the bleach was absorbed, algea aside is the equipement safe to use when i want to do so? my female pk has been in qt 15days, so have the conditions in the 5g where the VT usually resided. the DeT and nerite look healthy.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I would let the items and tank soak in water with about 4x the amount of conditioner or whatever you seem is good. I usually just put a bunch of drops in a bucket with some water and throw the items in there after I use the bleach solution. I let my set for 24 hours, but you can also go longer as well. Switch the water out every 24 hours with new water and again 4x the amount of conditioner. This should make them aquarium safe again and also get out any other bleach that may have been sucked up.

After you're done with this, let them completely dry before putting them into the aqurium again. At least, this is what I do and have researched on :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #3 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I would let the items and tank soak in water with about 4x the amount of conditioner or whatever you seem is good. I usually just put a bunch of drops in a bucket with some water and throw the items in there after I use the bleach solution. I let my set for 24 hours, but you can also go longer as well. Switch the water out every 24 hours with new water and again 4x the amount of conditioner. This should make them aquarium safe again and also get out any other bleach that may have been sucked up.

After you're done with this, let them completely dry before putting them into the aqurium again. At least, this is what I do and have researched on :)
thank you very much, i'll do that to get rid of anything still remaining on the ornaments. i usually would just rinse again and call it safe, though not in this particular case as the growth my VT burst. the burst growth will warrant extra precautions as it concerns the usual ornaments for the 5g tank that the Pk will use.

Last edited by nel3; 04-22-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww that sucks, sorry to hear about him :(

But yes, just change the water out about every 24 hours and probably about 3-4 days of doing that and they should be set!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #5 
nel3

i knew he had something i couldnt treat for a while so it didnt surprise me much though he did pass within 36hrs of becoming "lazy."

ill continue the wc to clear up the tank.