Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As Myates stated, when you're dealing with 1000 or more betta fry, it would be unreasonable not to cull. I would cull healthy fry if their forms are totally undesired that even LFS wont take them for free. I've culled entire spawns because of this.

I feed my culls to bigger fish - thus they become nutrition for other fish. I don't have the heart to feed them to turtles nor crayfish because they shred their foods.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #12 
registereduser

What do you guys think of removing the female after the first egg release? That would severely limit the size of the spawn, wouldn't it? But is it OK? Does it cause harm? Does it make the female become egg-bound? Does anyone out there do this?

sorry to post and run but I have to get to work! Looking forward to answers.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

I think most people prefer to cull, as then you can gauge the quality of the spawn as they grow and cull accordingly. Also most people don't want to be interfering with the female and male while they are spawning as it can be a delicate process at the best of times.

Also, at the start you probably want as many fry as possible, because if anything goes wrong during the process of growing out you will still have some fry left to work with.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #14 
registereduser

If someone is just breeding to get a few pets for themselves or friends, would it be harmful to the female?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #15 
Jayloo

I don't know anybody that would spend the hundreds of dollars in breeding startup to just have a few pets for themselves and friends... It would be much cheaper to just purchase the fish from the fish store... It wouldn't harm the female or the male for that fact but it would disrupt the spawning process and the male may eat eggs due to feel like HIS territory had been tampered with.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly unless you want at least 20-50 fish to grow-out and keep or distribute to your friends I would not bother trying to spawn bettas.

With splendens it can be a very stressful (and sometimes dangerous) process for both the male and female (particularly virgin pairs). If you are only wanting a pet it is best to just find what you want off other breeders or in pet/fish stores.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #17 
registereduser

It won't cost hundreds of dollars for just a few fish. Thanks for all the answers!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Well for starters you would need to buy live food cultures, at least a 10-20 gallon grow-out tank for the fry, sponge filter and airpump for the grow-out, a new heater for the grow-out, and jars or containers to separate out any males you get.

That is probably going to cost at least $50 unless you have all this stuff kicking around.

Also there is always the risk that one or both parents may be injured or even die during the process or spawning.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #19 
Myates

I wish it only took a 10-20 gallon for grow out o.O lol.. I think my first set up for 2 spawn breeding ended up costing around $1500- granted a good chunk was due to shipping costs.. but you would be looking at a few hundred minimum to get everything needed to raise them properly.. plus a rise in electric/water bill, a way to heat all those individual jars.. and the hours a day it will take to clean and to raise them for the 4+ months before you send them out.

So unless you meant it won't cost hundreds to buy a few fish then you are correct.. but to raise a spawn it will. And as mentioned.. what happens if you spawn and only keep say.. 10.. but during those months of raising you lose most of them? Then gotta do it again.. majority of new breeders lose a good number of their first few spawns.. not a whole lot who don't. So keep that in mind.. once they are older, 3+ months of age and you can start to tell which ones are males and females.. and which ones are pretty.. are you going to be able to kill off so many others? They will be interacting with you, begging for food, etc at that time. Will you be able to just cull them because you don't want them? Something you will need to ask yourself.. because you will fall in love with each one of those for those months you raise them from a tiny spec to a young adult who dances for you.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

I was talking about if they interrupted the spawn/culled early on to grow out only a few fry to keep/distribute as pets.

But I agree, it is hard to cull. I have a couple of fry with minor swim bladder issues. I should cull, but I am hesitant because they could be my only females out of that spawn and because now they are old enough that they all recognise me and come over when they see me outside their tank.

It is one thing to talk about culling but it is another thing to actually do it.