Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #1 
SnowSong

Recommended heater for a 2.5? Also, a pinch of salt, or no?

I really have two questions, but I thought I'd put them in the same post rather than clutter up your forum with two different threads. My first question is, what kind of heater do you recommend for a 2.5 gallon? My house is pretty much a constant 7.2 F, which is sort of low for a betta. I actually had a betta (Winston, in my avatar) who lived here for three years without a heater, so I'm not even totally sure I need one. Winston was always active and healthy here without a heater. I live in the deep South, in the USA, so it never gets really, REALLY cold here.

Anyway, my second question is, do you put a pinch of salt in the water for bettas, or not? I can't remember whether I ever used salt with Winston, but if I did, it was just a few grains of salt and no more.

It's been a few years since I lost Winston (R.I.P.) and I'm trying to refresh my fish knowledge on this forum before I get another betta later this week. I used to keep fish all the time, but it's been a while and I miss having them.

Thanks for your answers.

Oh, by the way, I already set up my 2.5 gallon and it's been running with water, gravel and a filter for a couple of days now. I'd like to eventually move up to a 5 gallon, but I'm afraid that will have to wait. (I already had the 2.5, but I'd have to go out and buy a 5 gal.) I bought Omega One Betta flakes for him, and I'll get some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp as well.

Last edited by SnowSong; 04-22-2013 at 03:55 PM.
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well Betta's would definitely prefer to have a heater since they like 75-80 degree water :) I recommend Marina's smallest heater it's a C10, which is a 10 watt heater. it also self regulates so it will shut off when the temp is at the right place.

Aquarium salt used over a long period of time will indeed harm the Betta's liver so that's a no-go. However it can be used to treat things like fin rot/body slime infections and internal parasites. But if and when (hopefuly not) that time comes we can talk more about that.

The flakes are good but eventually it might be good to get him pellets instead, the ones made for Bettas :) good for the bloodworms and BS! <---lol bs XD

SIP to Winston and welcome to the forums!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #3 
SnowSong

Thanks for the knowledgeable reply. I'll make sure I get the Marina heater. I want my fish to be as happy as possible.

I do miss having fish! I had a (human) baby five years ago, and I didn't want to have a fishtank with a toddler in the house. My girl is finally old enough that she won't throw random objects in the fishtank, now. LOL. I'll still be the betta's caretaker, though. A 5-year-old is still not old enough to be able to feed or take care of a fish, so that will be my sole responsibility. She can start learning about them, though.
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Definitely! We always had tanks when I was young as well, it was really neat for me (although we mostly had guppies) but to see them have babies and stuff. Definitely nice to watch swim when you're stressed and stuff! Unfortunately (or fortunately) we got rid of the tanks when I was about 10 or so. But I got back into the hobby when I remembered we had fish and I had to take care of my friends Betta over Winter Vacation because she couldn't take both Betta and goldfish. But that was 3 years ago and I've been a happy fish keeper ever since!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote