Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Do loaches ever do anything?

I was in Petsmart today and I looked at some fish besides the bettas. I've heard loaches are good tank companions for bettas. The 3 I saw were pale yellow in color and sticking close to each other. They just sat there, no swimming, barely moving. Like a lazy betta hanging on a leaf. Is this how they always act or do the become more active outside the petstore?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Well I had one kuhli loach I inherited from my older brother. I had it in a tank with a sand substrate and a leaf litter over the top. That kuhli loach had a ball in that tank. I used to see it moving through the leaf litter and it used to hunt down the blackworms and grindals I put in for it and the other fish.

Mine got really big and plump. They are funny little fish and quite active once settled.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #3 
DefStatic

There are some loaches that just lay around. But Yo Yo Loaches and Clown Loaches do not typically just lay around.

But you need at least a 30 gallon tank to keep one of those IMO, as they easily can get 12" long, and usually quite plump.

I wanted some loaches in my 30 gal, until I found out how mig they get.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I wondered how big they get. The one I saw today were at least 4 inches. I have a big tank but it will be divided so they are not for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

What loach are you talking about? Clown loaches? They get very big (around a foot), but grow slowly. However, they prefer to live in schools, so you would need an extremely large tank to house them. They are also very prone to ich I believe, when younger.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #6 
Nicci Lu

I have 6 black kuhli loaches- when I went to Petsmart to get them, I thought they were all out. Then the employee lifted up a rock and, zam! about a dozen of them zoomed out from under. In my 20L, I have lots of hides and they are out all the time, dancing their loach dance against the tank glass. They are absolute maniacs, and I don't think they ever sleep, lol.

I'm not familiar with the other loaches, but I know with the kuhlis, the key to get them out more is to have at least 6 and lots of hides so they feel more secure. I have heard, though, that the banded kuhlis are less out going than the black.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #7 
ehh

yoyo loaches dont get too big.
clown loaches are the ones that big but they are so full of life and fun to watch. they grow incredibly slow though. i have a couple that are about 2 years old and might be 5 inches, MIGHT.
ehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #8 
rosy delta

Glad to hear Yoyo loaches dont get big. I recently bought one. I just love it! he is everywhere in the tank. does not hide at all. active, friendly, gets along with the cats and the betta, and is starting to eat the excess snails too. I also have a skunk loach in another tank. I never see him, but i also only have baby snails left so i guess he is doing his job.
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #9 
Stone

I have a hillstream loach, he is very active, not many people have them and they are called diffrent things from a "borneo sucker" "chinese butterfly pleco" and a few other names, he looks like a little stingray and only gets to be around 3 inches and it natures little suction cup he cleans the glass and rocks in my tank and is fun to watch, they are used to fast moving streams and love current
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

He sound neat Stone you should post a picture of him.