Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 
lmpaynter

petco... good or bad?

I have a love hate relationship with petco. they just came to our town and will likely be the death of our local pet store. I promised myself I would not cross the threshold, but in a moment of weakness yesterday i entered and went directly to the Betta "cups" expecting to see pathetic little fish clinging to life. Instead, I saw lots of clean cups with beautiful half moon and even double tails the likes of which I have never seen in our pet store. Did I just happen to come in after a "fresh" shipment? or is petco a reputable place to shop? (not that I am looking to replace my Francis, though I think he could smell the other fish on me when I got home!)
lmpaynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 
frankiefire

Hate to say it but probably a new shipment.
frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #3 
bettasareawesome

Ive had the same experience the one time I wenr in a petco it looked nice but, every other person Ive talked too thats gone in there more than once, theve said it was horrible.

EDIT: although they do have a lot of tail types and the petstore I usually go to only have male veiltales
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I have only been to one petco (there aren't any in Canada... I wish there were.) and I was quite impressed with their condition. I went two (or maybe three) times in the week I was there, and the first time their cups were clean and the second time I caught them in the middle of water changes. Definatly less then ideal conditions but pretty good for a pet store. I have heard some pretty bad stories about petco though, so I don't know if this is typical. They had some really nice fish as well.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 
lmpaynter

that is what i sort of thought. it probably depends on when you go. i better stay out of there or i'll come home with a new fish!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 
Melodica

Honestly, the only time I see clean cups in my local Petco is when they've gotten a new shipment.

The thing that upset me the most the last time I went was the baby bettas section. There were probably 10 cups and only TWO of the babies were alive - and even those didn't look very good.

I'm actually going to write to their corporate office about it. I've gone into that Petco and seen 5+ adult bettas dead (and moldy to boot), those babies were pitiful and all of their fish look unhealthy. Do they really expect that people will buy a fish that looks sick and dull?

All of my boys (save one that came from Petsmart) have come from Petco. My local store doesn't take great care of their fish, but they have a ton of different colors and tail types.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #7 
lmpaynter

ok, now i am going to HAVE to go back in a few days to check on the condition of those fish. I honestly don't know what i'd do if I found 5 dead fish in cups. Someone would know about it.

btw melodica, i love the blue and red DT in the photo. He is a good looking fellow. (although i am trying not to covet other peoples fish;)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It does depend on the store and just how much they care about their fish! My PetCo is actually really good about keeping their betta's clean, it's the Petsmart that needs to step up their game!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #9 
Raincloud

I guess it all depends on whose working there. Unfortunately, my experience has been that when new shipments come in they look great (minus the small cups which they are always in) but I have gone in only to be horrified by what I saw. (It was like a horror movie!)
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Gee, that sucks :( I'm happy our stores care a little bit more!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote