Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #11 
JandE Pets

my pet co does pretty good with the bettas minus the small cups. yesterday i went in and like i always do i went to the bettas found one dead right away and spotted two that i dont think made it to closing time. but the one i couldn't leave behind was a salmon colored HMPK male that was blind in one eye and half blind in the other. all in all i think they could do with some knowledge about bettas.
JandE Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #12 
JellOh

It defiantly depends on which pet-- you go to. I have one near me that isn't horrible with their bettas (although the staff can stuff it), I have a PetSmart about an hour away that I absolutely love, and I went to a petco while picking up a new tank from someone on Craigslist and I was horrified. The one near me does ok, their fish seem to all be pretty healthy for the most part. The PetSmart always has crystal clean cups and bettas of every tail type and color. The petco I went to while picking up a tank had cups full of dead bettas or bettas that seemed to be rotting alive. I ended up rescuing a baby because that's all I had room/ money for, but I felt so bad for the others. One had a gaping wound on his back and all the others just sat there; waiting for someone to help them.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #13 
SunshineSulie

It depends on independent leadership for each store. A company can have a great policy and only follow it when the "Big Men" are coming. Or, a company can have a great policy and follow it daily.

My Petco is great and has a LOT of knowledgeable people working aquariums, which is rare. But, if people care, they'll take care of the animals. It all depends. Don't base a review of Petco in Indiana on one in South Dakota.
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree Sunshine, and that holds true for all stores, well chain ones at least!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #15 
Melodica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpaynter View Post
ok, now i am going to HAVE to go back in a few days to check on the condition of those fish. I honestly don't know what i'd do if I found 5 dead fish in cups. Someone would know about it.

btw melodica, i love the blue and red DT in the photo. He is a good looking fellow. (although i am trying not to covet other peoples fish;)
We ended up taking the fish and placing them on the "fish station" right in front of an employee, who just glanced at them and then went on about his business. It's really sad. I honestly thought about offering to care for their bettas on my own time for free just so the little guys don't have to suffer.

Thank you for the compliments about my Tuffy! :) He's my favorite. Such a personality - dances and jumps around whenever he sees me (or the food container, LOL).
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #16 
Uminofukami

It definitely does depend but our Petco is awful and our Petsmart is really good. At our Petsmart they keep their cups clean and their fish look healthy and are active when you shift the cup. And the people working at Petsmart all seem to have fish, and bettas in particular, and are very knowledgable whereas the people working at Petco don't seem to have great knowledge at all. They looked terrified when we mentioned having a betta in a community tank and I even had one today tell me that the reason my cory died must be because I had an "even number" of them and that he only has luck if he has odd numbers of schooling fish.

At the Petco the betta cups are dirty, the fish tend to be lethargic, and they don't remove the dead fish from the tanks in a timely manner. We were looking for snails for our 10 gallon on Friday and there were 3 dead fish in the tank and all the snails were retracted into their shells. We've also had 2 false julii cories from the Petco die just this week due to suspected internal parasites and severe bacterial infections. We got one with 3 others and it died within a few days after it got severely skinny suddenly and very lethargic with its fins shredding (Remy, our betta with them, does not act aggressively toward the cories at all. He occasionally darts at them if they get close to 'his' heater but does not nip).

And then we got a cory to replace him that was easy to tell from the rest we had because it was larger and paler and within 2 days (this past Friday) it died after getting red streaking under the scales all up its side suddenly. We finally just got a replacement from Petsmart and it's working out quite nicely and is very active and eating well. And the snails at Petsmart were moving actively and going all over the place so we didn't have to wonder "are they even alive?".

Last edited by Uminofukami; 04-23-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Uminofukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #17 
DefStatic

We have three or four types of chain pet stores here. PetCo, PetSmart (only one), Pet Quarters, and Pet Life.

Pet Quarters and PetLife offer very little for fish needs anyways. Their setups are not bad, it is just a very tiny portion of their market.

The only PetSmart around here was quite impressive. It is fairly bigger than any of the PetCos. Their Live Fish section seemed much more impressive, and they stick to only Freshwater.

The PetCos around here are really good. Different policies with each one though. One I went to has no female bettas. One has them but in cups. Another has them but mixed in community tanks. All of them have good setups, although one I felt had things a little too stocked.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #18 
Adnamac

The Petco nearest me isn't very good about their bettas. I was there last night and all of them were in pretty bad condition. Everytime I'm in there it's been the same way.

They do have a nice variety of bettas, but they don't treat them at all well. :(
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #19 
happypappy

Think it depends on the store and the care of the employees. My petsmart has a great staff ---- but have seen others that were not so good. The Petco here is Very iffy!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #20 
kyle89

Mine is a more hate than love relationship when it comes to Petco. The first fish I bought my girlfriend ended up dying from either poor water condition or the bad batch of novaqua they sold me. I also had one telling me to buy a 1 gallon tank when I was looking at 5 gallon tanks. He told me the Betta would drownd in 5 gallons of water. He was so cocky and pressetent that I ended up just leaving. There prices are also much higher than my local fish store
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote