Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #1 
Tamsin

How much do I feed them?

I've seen many many different opinions on how much to feed and what to feed betta.

I've done pleanty of reading on *what* to feed them. I've decided against the idea of worms (apparently there's a higher chance of parasites & diseases?) and I'd feel horrible for poor little shrimp but we have a storage box of water outside currently accumulating mosquito larvae snacks. We are currently giving them http://www.petstock.com.au/Tetra-Min...4D27BBD2043B2E and they both like it well enough to dance at me for it. I was just wondering the quantity I should give them per feeding. (They have currently 2 feedings per day and one cleansing day per week)

Most info I've read refers to giving them a couple of pellets, but are these granules regarded as pellets? I think of pellets as being the larger beige coloured food that's shaped like a cylinder that I give to my angels and plecos.
Many other people say give them the same amount as the size of their eye, but does this mean the "2d" area that we can see of the eye or should I estimate the "3d" dimensions of the entire eyeball. (I hope that makes sense...)
Or others say feed them what they will eat in 2 minutes, but my Tauro is one hell of a guzzle-gut and would surely gorge himself to death if I let him eat for 2 minutes straight.

I would just really super appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me.
"Just how many of the Tropical Granules should I feed to each fish per day?"
Tamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #2 
Blacklight

I'm wondering the same thing. I just found out that my wife has been giving our girl an extra feeding every day that I didn't know about. The back of the container says to feed three times a day whatever the fish can eat in two minutes. Like your fish, our fish would take down the whole container in that time.
Anyway, we've been feeding four of those little pellets 3 times a day and our fish is a fatty, but then again, she's a girl so she might be naturally fat. I've never had a female before so I don't know if fat is fat or if it's just because females are naturally plump.

So I have the same question that you have. Are we overfeeding?
This is the food we use. It looks to be about the same as the graduals that you use, but I can't really tell from the pictures.
http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...er=51515425075

Last edited by Blacklight; 04-15-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #3 
itzBlitz

i feed my betta about 3 pellets every 12 hours, if he seems really hungry ill give him
4 during one of the feedings. i hear and read a lot of different opinions, this works for
me. my betta is still pretty young and very active.

this is what i feed him and he loves it:
http://www.petco.com/product/3983/Hi...-Bio-Gold.aspx
ive heard omega one is better more protein and healthy fats, but my betta wont eat it:
http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...etta-Food.aspx
itzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #4 
Blacklight

Our betta freakin' LOVES the Omega One. She exists in a constant state of begging for it. I just was under the impression of feeding four of these little pellets twice a day was what you were supposed to be doing and then my wife without telling me, for the past 5 months has been feeding her an extra four in the morning when she leaves for work. SO that's 12 pellets a day. But these things look like tiny crumbs to me so I just don't know. Our fish is definitely a fatty, but, like I said, she's a girl so I don't know how fat they normally are. Every picture I see of females online all look a LOT skinnier than ours. Ours looked like that when she was young, but then as she got older, she ballooned. Do these girls get overweight from too much feeding?

And should I drop her down to 8 of those little crumbs a say instead of 12.

Last edited by Blacklight; 04-15-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #5 
Tamsin

I've seen those Omega One pellets in the store and they are a lot bigger than the TetraMin.
I give my boys 4-6 of the little crumby TertraMin things 2x per day but they're looking pretty fat so I might give then less.
I wish they were just like my mice and only eat until they were full hahaha :P greedy little guys
Old 04-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #6 
mermaid77

Right, the Omega One are larger than other brand pellets...
When I had my adult boy, I used to feed him 3 Omega One pellets twice a day...
Obviously that amount was larger than his eye, be it 2d or 3d lol..but he never seemed plump or overfed...if anything he'd beg for more, but we know bettas are notorious for that! lol
But I agree, there's no set standard for amounts...and the description on the package should NEVER be followed. lol Anyone you ask will tell you something different...I've heard everything from as little as 1 to as many as 12 pellets or more a day. But the end of the day, pellet size and fish size has to be taken into consideration..
IMO the fish's belly should appear very slightly rounded after a feeding (but who knows, maybe someone will step in and say you shouldn't notice a difference at all lol) ... but if it noticeably balloons or always appears that way even between feedings...then the fish has definitely eaten too much and amounts should be cut back. :)
Also, be sure to allow her to fast one day a week to help clean out her system...:)
Maybe having a visual aid will help...:) http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #7 
Tamsin

Ah yes, my little ones got a bit too much this morning because I felt bad for them. We had a huge thunder storm and poor Dante was all clamped up and terrified of everything. So I may or may not have given him one or two extra crumbs to cheer him up.. and he may or may not have turned into a balloon fish...
Thanks for the advice + link!

Tomorrow is fasting day for my boys, they will certainly not be happy with me!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #8 
Blacklight

I've dropped down to 5 Omega One pellets spread out over three feedings daily, so she gets 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and one at night before bed. Someone told me that that was about right for this one. These pellets are teeny and 4 alone may be about the size of her eye (maybe five if you count all the half pellet crumbs that are in there)
She actually started looking skinnier two days after we changed the amount we give her.

It's a shame that they don't really touch upon feeding amounts in any of the Betta books I've read and the instructions on the packages are always so very off. The only thing I can think these instructions are for is if you're feeding to a communal tank with a bunch of fish in it. It would make sense that way. But this stuff is labled "BETTA BUFFET" so OBVIOUSLY, this thing isn't going to be in a tank with dozens of other fish. They need to add instructions for feeding single fish.

So, for clarification, you're saying they should get pellets equal to the size of their eye every 24 hours? Not just for each feeding? Five pellets a day is still too much?

Last edited by Blacklight; 04-23-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #9 
PNP

And the NLS pellets are almost too small to be called pellets. Jazz will eat until I stop feeding him. I give him one pellet at a time, and well, since I think it's cute that he comes up to be fed, it's too easy to give him several pellets at each meal. I've wondered how much he should have, but he never seems to get full. Little blue bottomless pit!
PNP is offline   Reply With Quote