Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #1 
Sweetstrwbrry

What is wrong with my aquarium? Fish dropping L and R

I am now on my third betta in two weeks and 6 fish have died since I started the tank 3 months ago. Here is what happened. I need advice! Now 2 of my neons' dorsal fins are turning white.they are acting completely fine and active besides this. What could it be? Here is a run down.

- 2 neon tetras were accidents (1 slipped out of tank when I was cleaning a plant) and one simply vanished into thin air (no idea about that one)

- my beautiful blue halfmoon betta Orion I have posted about before. He was originally in a betta bowl for 2 months but I moved him to the 10 gallon. He was fine until his fins started curling. Moved him to a 2 gallon w aquarium salt where fins improved straight away. Moved back to 10 gallon within 3 days. A week later the fins started showing black edges and it was definitely fin rot. Moved back to the 2 gallon and restarted aquarium salt. After two days he started swimming weird... Almost like swim bladder disease but with heavy breathing. He died overnight :(

- after a 50% water change I lost another neon tetra and a cory. I didn't leave the water sit long enough so I think it might have been too much of a shock to the fish. My fault :(

- red betta flareon I got 1 week ago. He was in perfect condition at the pet store. As the week went on I noticed his fins were curling and forming a point. I thought it was bc the water was too cold and I ordered a heater. He was active this whole time and eating. Came home from work today and he was dead at the bottom and one of my cories was nibbling on him. Have no idea what happened! He didn't have any signs of illness other than the curled fins :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Right now 82 but keeping it at 79. It may have been 76/77 when all these casualties occurred (didn't have heater yet)
Does your tank have a filter? -yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - no
Is your tank heated? - yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - 3 neon tetras, 2 Corys, and an amano shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueous betta pellets and Wardley advanced flakes for everyone else (the betta ate these too)
How often do you feed your betta fish? - a couple of pellets 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - 25% once or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - 25% of 10 gallons
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Kordon water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0-0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2 (is this high?)
Hardness: hard
Alkalinity:

What is going on with my neons now? I don't understand why there are so many issues with the tank.
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 
Sweetstrwbrry

Forgot to mention I test with the API master kit and there are all live plants and no hard decorations!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #3 
SnowSong

Just off the top of my head, your pH is EXTREMELY high. That's the pH you'd need for a saltwater tank, not a freshwater tank. No neon tetra is going to live in that. I'm guessing no betta will, either. Are you using marine sand/crushed coral in your tank? That will raise the pH that high. If you are, you're going to have to completely change the substrate for regular aquarium gravel. Also, if you have shells in there, take them out as well.
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #4 
Sweetstrwbrry

I do not have any of that stuff in there. I believe that is how hard my water is naturally (tap water) I could fill gallons I spring water at the grocery store for 30 cents. Would that lower the ph? How often would I ad a gallon or half gallon at a time?

I thought I read that as long as the PH was steady, it was fine. Is that not correct?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 
Sweetstrwbrry

Ok well my crown tail is already acting different as of this morning. His fins (those 2 stick fins) and dorsal fin and already looking clampy. The water temp is 79. I am looking to switch from my tap water of 8.2 ph to bottles water. What is the best way to gradually do this? I can't figure out what ear could be wrong. The pH is high... That's it. I have a 10 gallon tank. What percentages of water change and how many times a week can I do to avoid shocking the fish?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Test your tap water straight from the sink to see what it reads at. Don't use chemicals to lower your ph because it's only temporary and will eventually spike back up which is terrible for the fish. If you want lower pH try getting some driftwood, mopani wood or african is fine. This lowers your pH naturally and is safer for the fish, also the tannins help all the fish out.

You can also do as many water changes as you like, I would suggest two 25% water changes during the week and one 50% at the end of the week. Make sure to keep the water about the same temperature as it is in the tank otherwise you could shock your fish. Also add the conditioner in before pouring the new water in the tank (sorry if you already knew that, I just wanted to reiterate)

Also is this tank new? Or was it from someone else or a different source?

What kinds of stuff do you have in there, I assume you have some sort of gravel?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #7 
Sweetstrwbrry

I have aquarium gravel and 2 amazon sword plants. No hard decorations at all. I think it is the pH :( I will look into the driftwood, I am heading to the petstore soon. Could I continue to use tap water then if I just use the driftwood? I have had fish in this water for months and every now and them there are problems. I am also cycling the tank currently but I am keeping a strict eye on parameters which are fine (besides the ph)
Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #8 
majesticstorm

Yes, I think that as long as the pH is steady, your betta will be able to adapt. Both of my boys are in water that's 8.0-8.2 and they're perfectly fine, minus some issues with their fins (curling a bit), but they're healthy.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, if you get the driftwood you can use your tap. It won't go down drastically, probably just enough to get you into the 7 range, it would keep going lower until you add more tap water so it would probably stay around 7.8-ish which is good. My girls are at 7.4-5 and the other boys are around 6.5
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #10 
Sweetstrwbrry

Well I had to take the betta out. His fins are looking not so good. Very shaggy looking even for a crown tail. He is currently waiting to go to his betta bowl whih I am waiting for to heat up. The ph of that water is 7.4 vs 8.2 what he is sitting in. Ive been trickling a few drops to lessen the stress. I'm golf to have to keep him in there until I can switch the water out in the 10 gallon gradually. Going to switch to the bottled water. My poor little guy! He was literally fine 24 hrs go. I put some aquarium salt o help him as well.