Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #11 
SnowSong

Putting driftwood in there is a good idea to gradually lower the pH. That might do the trick. I agree with another person who posted that using chemicals to artificially lower the pH might not be a good idea because then the fish will have to cope with a bouncing pH reading, which will be even worse for them. If I were you, I'd stick to fish that naturally like hard water and a high pH. You could have African Cichlids in there and they'd do great. :)

I have hard water in my area, too, and learned a long time ago I could never keep softwater fish so long as I live in this house. At least not without a whole lot of effort. LOL! So, no angelfish or neon tetras for me, either.
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #12 
Sweetstrwbrry

I'm going to start the transition to bottled water tonight by doing a 20% water change. Betta is in his bowl now. The water was colder in the bowl but I acclimated him for about 20 mins in his cup. Also the ph difference is 8.2 vs 7.4. I trickled in a few drops to lessen the stress. He seems to be sitting at the bottom so I hope he pulls through :( I'm sure it was a bit of a shock.
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes that's good, drip acclimation I find is the best, especially for a stressful transition like that. I'm glad you are taking these precautions to help him! Keep us posted on how everything turns out!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #14 
Sweetstrwbrry

Betta is seeming to adjust little by little. He does rest by the bottom a lot but he is up and swimming every now and then. His little heater is about 81 degrees. I think he has survived the initial shock so hopefully he will begin to improve tomorrow. The PH of this water (bottled) is 7.4 vs the 8.2 he was in. I changed 10% of the 8.2 pH water with the other fish and will continue to do so over the week. That water tested at 7.0, so much lower than mine! Then maybe eventually I can put him back in. The other fish seem to tolerate the high PH. I didn't realize how high my city water's pH was. :/
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #15 
VJM

I know bettas need the minerals in tap water. I don't know if bottled water needs to be remineralized. Definitely something to look into.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #16 
Laurenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
I know bettas need the minerals in tap water. I don't know if bottled water needs to be remineralized. Definitely something to look into.
Depends on the type of bottled water used. As far as the various brands of bottled spring/filtered water, quality can vary a lot, often its still necessary to use a water conditioner to remove chorine/chloramine/heavy metals/etc. that are actually still present and I'd definitely test the pH levels, hardness, and any other pertinent parameters prior to use as well. Distilled water should be avoided in general. Personally, if you're going the bottled route, I'd recommend RO water (filtered via reverse osmosis).

Like a couple of the previous posters, my water has quite a relatively high pH--8.0-8.3 I believe, but all my bettas have adjusted extremely well, to the point of producing spawns that grew into healthy adults. Keep in mind that high pH does NOT necessarily indicate hard water, while my water is very alkaline, its actually extremely soft at the same time.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote