Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #1 
Rosewynn

Exclamation Any harm in 'petting' fish?

I just got to thinking...

I usually like to train my bettas to take food from my finger and to let me 'pet' them as I find it cute. Some just won't let me and I don't force it but my Gus right now seems to really enjoy brushing up against my finger.

But is there any harm to this? I will wash my hands with water (no soap) first (and after with soap) but for some reason today I got to wondering if anyone's had any problems with this? Possible diseases or a change to their slime layer or something?

I only do one fish per day so I am not cross dipping water in case one of them comes down with something.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #2 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I had to have Cass jump for her food. Scalded the hell out of my finger first, left it wet, stuck pellet to it. As long as you take great care that you're germ free, I don't see a problem, but I'm not an expert with such things. Cass did it without me wanting her to, she'd just jump and get it right out of my fingers before I could drop it, so I started taking extra health precautions. :P
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 
Rosewynn

Thanks!

Haha, females are so much fun. Almost all of the ones I have owned LOVED to jump and catch food off my finger. While I keep lids on all my fish I especially had to with my girls. Once they learned to jump for food they started to do it just for fun. I wish I had the time/money to own more than 2 fish at a time. I think my next one might be a female just because they're usually all so sassy!

Last edited by Rosewynn; 04-22-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #4 
Fishy Mom

I pet my fish (the ones that allow me to) all the time. I always have since I was young & never encountered a problem. I couldn't tell you if I'm just lucky or if it really is safe. I just make sure my hands are clean. My sorority tank I have right now is a riot when I put my hand in the water. All of them zoom to the top for snuggle time & petting. They love it!
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 
Starfish1

The only bad thing is I think it can make their slime coat come off, which they need because it helps protect them from bacteria and diseases.

Mine are too busy nipping at me to let me pet them, lol
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #6 
Myates

It's recommended not to because you can remove their protective slime coating causing them to be susceptible to bacteria, and other infections. Why when touching fish your hands should always be wet to help reduce wiping off as much coating as possible.

But I won't say to never do it.. here and there if you put your finger in and the fish rubs up against it then it is fine - as they know how hard to rub, etc, that will keep them safe.

Feeding from the fingers should be fine..

I just wouldn't go around picking them up is all lol :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #7 
itzBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1 View Post
Mine are too busy nipping at me to let me pet them, lol
ive tried to pet my betta and he just turns around and nips at me. i have taught
him to jump up for pellets and hes on target everytime.
itzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #8 
bniebetta

A pet store owner told be that petting them on the head is the safest place if you MUST pet them, and to stay away from the gills, etc. Either way, I plead the fifth.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote