Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Would you offer to rehabilitate a betta at the store to take it back for sale?

It would be like fostering bettas. It would be hard to take them back but it would be doing something. If you could form a relationship with a store that would let you do this would you do it? What if you could not take them home but just take the sick ones off the floor and show them how to care for them and check in on them?
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

I don't know if I'd want to do that. You would put your effort, emotion and time into the betta and then have absolutely no say in who ends up with him/her.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #3 
Myates

No guarantee they will be purchased without needing "rescuing" once more. Also taking in sick fish is always a risk to all of your other fish.. bringing them in non stop you would undoubtedly at some point bring something in that can kill/hurt your "pet" fish or the other "rescues" you are helping.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Not really but I got to thinking about it last night you can't save them all. They do this for shelters for cats and dogs. You foster until they are adopted. They are charging a fee for the animals which isn't quite the same as the petstore but someone is still paying. I would do a rescue but I doubt my husband would ever allow it.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Not really but I got to thinking about it last night you can't save them all. They do this for shelters for cats and dogs. You foster until they are adopted. They are charging a fee for the animals which isn't quite the same as the petstore but someone is still paying. I would do a rescue but I doubt my husband would ever allow it.
Well, you could do what I did with my current rescue. I got in my phone book in my cell phone at the store and called through it asking people if they'd be willing to take a betta if I gave them a tank, food and water conditioner. Pick up a cheap critter keeper, and just know the $$$ you spent will be good karma. Tell your husband the betta is just a foster, and has a home lined up once he/she is better.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you wanted to do this, I would:
a) ask the store if they will give you medications, or at least give to you at a discount.
b) strictly quarantine the fish. Use a separate tank, and separate equipment. You don't want to risk infecting your own fish with anything contagious.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #7 
ZubinBetta

If you could show the workers at the store how to take care of them, as well as providing some sort of community outreach (with the store's blessing) to show the people who buy them how to care for them, you'd be doing a lot of good. And after handling the water of the sick ones, make sure to observe diligent hygienic practices, and your bettas at home will be safe, too.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #8 
SnowSong

If a store keeps getting in sick bettas, then they need to change their supplier.
If their bettas get sick while they are in the store due to neglect and bad water, then the store needs better employees.
Bettas are one of the hardiest kinds of fish out there. No store that is worth a dang would have sick bettas in such high numbers that they'd need someone to foster the sick ones. If they do, then they are a terrible store and/or have a terrible supplier. I spent two years taking care of the fishtanks for a pet store (Pet Supplies Plus in Alabama) and I really never had sick bettas at my store while I was working there. (More delicate species of fish, sure, on occasion, but not bettas.) I attribute that to a combination of having had a decent supplier and taking good care of them while they were at my store.

If any store in my area consistently had sick bettas, I'd want to know why. If you want to spend your time fostering sick bettas, it's your business, but the problem is, you'd be doing the work of the employees for no pay. I wouldn't do it, personally. I might save an individual betta or two (or three), but I wouldn't give them back to the store afterward so that they could be possibly neglected again. (Or sold to some clueless person who immediately kills it because they don't know about chlorine in tap water.)

Sorry for the mini rant. I'm tired and crabby right now. LOL. It WOULD be worthwhile to attempt to teach their employees how to take better care of the fish, though, if the manager would allow that.

I'm glad there are kind-hearted people like you, though, who care enough to try to help animals. *Hugs*

Last edited by SnowSong; 04-22-2013 at 12:18 AM.
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

I really don't plan to do this but I have wished to do more. I plan to sponsor an contest on the forum later this week that will allow people like us to educate in people in the petstore in a simple way.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually my LFS would let me do this. He offered up one of his betta's with SBD if I wanted to take care of it and I've given them bettas to sell before. Thankfully not too many of their betta's come in sick and don't really get sick because they do take care of them to the best of their ability. But I go in nearly every week just to check up on them and they're always happy to have me and I did help them with the Betta and his SBD, he's happily swimming around now being alittle more active :)

Of course, this probably wouldn't work with any large chain store but I think if you get friendly with the little stores this might work :) Also, this store is only 2 months old so their still getting a foot in the door, but I help them any chance I get.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote