Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #1 
Skyewillow

Inner Beauty!

We have DRAMAQUEEN's permission to run this contest and it's not sponsored by BettaFish.com:

"Hidden behind a cup and another, after another...they sit there, and they wait. Hidden away in the shadows of the fancier, the shelf concealing them, they float listless in a darkness they never deserved. Shunned by their breeders because they aren't as pretty, overlooked by customers because they're not as bright......we're now shining the spotlight on 'ugly' betta fish."
-Syriiven

the girl I'm bidding on has inspired Syriiven and I to hold a contest for the aesthetically challenged bettas. You know, the ones who are spoon headed, hunchbacked, deformed (crooked spines, missing fins, messy scales), poorly finned, tailbiters, permanently injured, or massively miscolored.

We want to hear the story about how you came to adopt this uniquely beautiful betta, and if your fish needs accommodation for a disability, we'd love to hear how you help them live a "normal" life.

DURATION: Entries can be submitted until May 23rd, 2013 @ Midnight (Eastern Time). After that, your judges (Syriiven, MoonShadow, and myself) will chose 6 winners, 3 males, and 3 females.

Rules:
-The fish HAS to be able to have a good quality of life.
-Has to be your betta (could be under the rainbow bridge, or currently in your possession, none that you've rehomed)
-You may enter one male, and one female, but only one of them can win.

Now on to the fun part!!! PRIZES!!!!!

1st place prize is:
A card with Syriiven's artwork of your fish, that says "_____ won first place male/female entry in the Inner Beauty contest!" AND a custom plush of your fish from me!
SAMPLES:

2nd place prizes:
10 Indian Almond Leaves (not pretty, but functional)

3rd Place prizes:
Digital drawing of your fish by me.

Last edited by Skyewillow; 04-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #2 
Syriiven

Huzzah! -throws confetti-!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #3 
Rosewynn

Awesome prizes and great idea. Both my buddies right now are the 'norm' so I can't enter but I can't wait to see/read the stories.
Rosewynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #4 
Syriiven

Its going to be great! =D
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #5 
Saphira101

Will Tesla count?

He passed away on 2/25/13.

He was a rescue from Petco that had bitten off most of his caudal fin at the store due to stress. He was only with me for a few days, but I became very attached to him. I was in Petco "just to look" when I saw him. I could tell that he would color up in some warm water, and I greatly pitied him for what happened to his tail.

Sorry, this is not a wonderful picture of him:

Here's a story I wrote about how I met him from his point of view two days after I got him:

I sat at the bottom of my cup, miserable. I’d already gotten tired of my caudal fin weighing me down in this disgusting water, so I’d bitten it off. I was freezing, and as I looked across the aisle at the others, I knew they felt the same. A blue HM had already given up on his struggle, and was lying at the surface of the water, not quite dead, not quite alive. As the humans walked past, I felt their thoughts weigh down on me like a rock. All of their trouble and unhappiness, their negative thoughts, it was terrible. I was starting to wish that Bettas hadn’t been given the ability to sense human emotions. I swam up to the surface for air, and as I did, a small cloud of my own waste rose up around me. You’d think we’d at least get a water change once in a while, but no. We weren’t even fed daily. I hadn’t eaten in five days. Suddenly, I felt a change in the emotional atmosphere of the store. Another human walked in, but her thoughts were different. They weren’t like the others, cold and full of negativity. She walked over to the Betta aisle, and examined the others. She frowned, as if she realized the deplorable conditions we were kept in. She walked across the aisle, and stopped in front of my prison. Her eyes widened, as if they weren’t big enough already. She stood there in front of me for several minutes before pulling a flat, rectangular box out of her pocket. I figured it must be some form of communication, because I’d seen some of the employees speaking into them. That’s not what she did though, she just held it up in front of my cup, and it made an artificial sort of clicking noise. She put it back into her pocket and after that, just stood beside me. An employee came up to her and they spoke for a time, but she stayed by my cup always, as if guarding me. After the employee left, she walked across the store to look at something, but returned shortly. I was glad for this because I wanted her to stay close. Her thoughts comforted me. She stayed by me for about an hour, when another human who vaguely resembled her walked in and beckoned. The girl looked reluctantly back at me, and after a moment, she left. Wait, don’t leave, I thought. But my hopes were crushed. The girl was gone, and nobody would want a brown Betta with less than half a caudal fin. I sat miserably in my cup for two more horrid days, being overlooked by humans. My cup was relocated, but as usual, I watched some of the more flashy Bettas being taken home along with horribly small tanks or bowls scarcely bigger than my own cup. All of the sudden, I felt her presence. The girl was back, and she was carrying one of those “Kritter keepers” meant for reptiles. It was decently sized, three or four times as big as the average Betta tank. She looked around desperately. I realized that she didn’t know that I had been moved across the aisle. I swam around my cup frantically, and at last she saw me. She carefully picked up my cup, unlike the employees, who tend to shake us around a bit. She walked over to the register and paid for the tank and I. It was raining outside, and a few drops got into my cup, but I didn’t care. I was going home with her. Upon arriving home, I was tenderly set on a low counter while she set up my tank. It seemed she already had a heater, and for that I was grateful. She floated my cup in the tank of another Betta, who flared at me. I flared back. Soon, the girl came along and dropped something brown into my cup. It took me a moment to discover that it was food. It was delicious, and unlike those wretched, stale bloodworms that they feed us at the store, it wasn’t greasy. As I stared across the room, I counted four more Bettas in separate tanks. By this time I was warmed up comfortably. It was a new feeling for me. The girl came to feed me again, and this time, she called me Tesla. I realized that she had given me a name. I was overjoyed, for at last I had an identity. It has been two days since I came home with this girl and, honestly, they’ve been the best two days of my life.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #6 
Skyewillow

Yes, Tesla qualifies. And I love your story from his POV! ^_^
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Whoo! First entry! I am so late saying that, but true story!

I love the POV Story! That's wonderful!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

Anybody else? We need enough people to make this a contest!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 
Syriiven

Fabulous prizes! Come on and all! Do it for the forgotten fish!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

I don't want insult my fish because I'd still say he's cute and he has colors. Even if he doesn't win maybe others will step up and tell stories.
Curly is a bit of a ragga-muffin though. There was a nicer looking crowntail I passed over because I knew he was probably not going to get bought. I bought him from a box store. They keep their fish department way in the back and the bettas are not easily seen. I had done a renegade water change of some bettas including Curly in the store before I got reported by security and the "fish girl" came running back. By that time I was pretending to be shopping and I had the water conditioner I used in my cart. Before I left It's what I came there for. She spoke into her walkie talkie from a distance left the department she said as long I bought it there was nothing she could do. Before I left I plastered their betta fish care flyer across their betta shelf folded at the point where water quality is talked about being very important. Remarkably it was accurate. They were not following their own advice. The bettas were in putrid cups with some dead and dying.

It's these conditions that prompted me on impulse to buy my first bettas there and launched me into this betta world prior to getting Curly and many others. I came back another week and found the same conditions and plastered the flyer up again. I was little afraid to try the water change routine again. The next time I came back I left with fish. One (Perseus) had terrible amonia sores but he "ain't" ugly. Fiero is lovely and left with me because he was spirited enough to still be making a bubble nest in his cup. Curly was once again in a putrid cup of poop with yellowed water. I went to customer service complained about the conditions. They called the manager to report it. They discounted the fish.

Curly is shy crowntail that has color but his head is brown, he turns mostly brown and gets stripes when he's afraid. His crown is a bit of mess from the awful water. He will never have that perfect complete arc that many value. The good news is I was there last night it could have been a coincidence but all the cups were clean and there were no dead bettas which there always are every time I go. Here is Curly de Gallo because he has a curly crown and he's bit of a chicken gallo means rooster in Spanish.

jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote