Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #151 
AyalaCookiejar

Awesome. I should have time to enter him tomorrow.

I don't want this to sound bad but I am happy in a way, for him. Even with the best care I could give him, he seemed miserable most of the time. He definitely had personality but he was under stimulated because of his blindness and very lethargic. He definitely did not seem as happy as other fish. I hope he is now that he's under the rainbow bridge.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #152 
Syriiven

I understand completely. =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #153 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Awesome. I should have time to enter him tomorrow.

I don't want this to sound bad but I am happy in a way, for him. Even with the best care I could give him, he seemed miserable most of the time. He definitely had personality but he was under stimulated because of his blindness and very lethargic. He definitely did not seem as happy as other fish. I hope he is now that he's under the rainbow bridge.
I think we all reach that point when our loved one is no longer suffering. We feel at peace, because they're finally at peace.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #154 
Artemis

This is my Dominic. He was a rescue and has a bit of a hunch back but has shredded fins and has always had them. I think he has crowntail in there somewhere. He was stuck there because the sales person told me "that's finrot. He'll likely die. I'd get a different one" but he didn't. He has undesirable white tips on his ventrals but is a big tough boy who always wants to showoff. I don't think I'd win first but he is a big wannabe and likes publicity XD

Last edited by Artemis; 05-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #155 
AyalaCookiejar

This is Bahari on the first day I got him, still in his cup. He was a spur of the moment grab, I found him an an Earl May two hours from home. His cup had a ton of little black things at the bottom (they were flakey but I don't know WHAT they were exactly. Not food). The employee dumped out the water in his cup and filled it with water from a random tank before he gave him to me. That stressed him out and then he had to survive the 2 hour car ride home. I held him in his bag the whole way there (he was in a cup in a paper bag) and let him sit in a dark corner for awhile before moving him to his tank. He was shook up!

He was very aggressive and territorial in his new tank and always, always hungry. But then the blue in his fins started to marble out and something happened to him, about two weeks after he came home. He stopped swimming around as much and wouldn't eat at all. I thought he was sick, but couldn't figure out why. He had some constipation issues and he had very LARGE poos. But as I watched him for a week, and paid close attention, he started to run face-first into decorations and stopped responding to my finger. I soon figured out he was completely blind, for genetic reasons I think, and had to adapt. He could sense light a little but that went away with time, too. I had to help him find his food. Then his constipation got worse and he started floating nearly all the time. He was in epsom salt for months but it didn't help so eventually I took it out and added a snail tankmate to clean the algae caused by all the food he let sink.

I attempted to stimulate him as much as I could. He didn't use any part of his tank except for the surface. He couldn't swim downwards. He sat in one spot most of the time. He did move on his own, occasionally, but he only moved to find a different spot and then went back to sleep or whatever he was doing. He seemed to enjoy the snails company and always tore apart his food. He'd whip around bloodworms similar to the way a dog will tear apart a squeaky toy. But often times he'd have issues finding food after I dropped it in there, and although I tried helping him, it seemed sometimes he would give up because he was having so much trouble finding it.

Last weekend his chronic SBD problems took a turn for the worse. Instead of floating, he sunk to the bottom of the tank on the gravel and refused to move. He attempted to swim to the top but couldn't. He was also gasping and breathing heavily. I put him in a QT tank so he could reach the surface and added epsom salt. By Monday, he seemed to be doing better, had no issue staying at the surface and Tuesday he looked even better. Unfortunately, he passed away last Wednesday night, still in his QT tank.

My hopes for him are simply this: I hope that he can see now, and swim normally. I hope he can find his food easily and has fun tearing into it. I also hope that he is now flaring to his heart's content (I haven't seen him flare since he went blind, and he LOVED to flare) and his fins are all healed. Being a CT, I am not sure if his fin damage was due to him being blind and injuring them or due to our hard water, but he never developed fin rot the entire 5 months I had him. He was blind for four and a half of those months and buoyant for at least 4.

I am also glad that his suffering is over. He obviously was not going to recover, as much as I tried. I hope that if he has any siblings who also had bad genetics, that none of them suffered. And I am glad that I now have a free tank that I can save another fish. I'd like to adopt from MoonShadow in Bahari's honor. I only hope that the next inhabitant of Bahari's tank will be able to enjoy it more than Bahari could.

Swim in peace, Bahari.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #156 
Skyewillow

awesome story! I like how you helped him out while he was struggling with his blindness.

SIP Bahari <3
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #157 
carbonxxkidd

Great story, I'm sure he's so happy now :)

That flare pic of him is amazing too! :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #158 
Fenghuang

That's a very touching story, Ayala. I bet he is chasing down mosquito larvae somewhere under the rainbow bridge now. :)
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #159 
PhischAndChips

This is Nubbs. Nubbs isn't very aggressive. Correction: Nubbs isn't aggressive at all. Because of this, he was picked on in the 20 gallon tank he shared with some other 'freshwater community' fish. They picked at his fins, ate all the food before he could even get a nibble. No matter how much we fed them, Nubbs only got a minimal amount of food. Despite my pleas, my brother would not remove the little betta from the tank until one morning that we found him caught in a plant. His fins were torn and ripped off until there was nothing but a stub (it was a wonder he could still swim, that's how practically non-existant they were). Poor Nubbs. When he got stuck in the plant, the other fish thought he was dead, and they, being the gluttons they are, started to eat him alive. We removed him the moment we found him and placed him in the little container we use for water changes (for lack of a bigger tank at the time). He's been moved to a slightly bigger hospital tank, and I've been regrowing his fins and fattening him up. I don't have any pictures of him once he was first attacked, but these are pictures I took this afternoon.

Nubbs is quite happy now, though he's still a little on the skinny side. He wiggles whenever he sees me, and he builds lovely bubble nests for me. He's more my fish now rather than my brother's, and quite honestly, he seems to be a lot happier that way. He has so much personality. Honestly, I think he was a dog in a previous life XD These photos mark three weeks after he was attacked.
PhischAndChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #160 
Skyewillow

He's looking great so far! Welcome to the contest!