Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #1 
tmz

This angered me so much

i felt the need to share it.
honestly, this is rediculous. there is about three inches of swimming space for that poor fish.

i know bettas can live in relatively small areas, mine lives in a one gallon fish bowl and it is quite content, but thats just MEAN.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #2 
ErinBBC

That is cruel...it's amazing what people will do to these poor fish. Someone on this forum got their fish because they went to a wedding where the fish were used as centerpieces...I don't know what they did with all the other fish.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #3 
Meatpuppet

i tottaly agree. one day i was just serching google for random pic and came across these
http://www.petsmart.com/graphics/pro...-3763471dt.jpg

http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/up...h_in_space.jpg

here are just a couple examples i found. these are just wrong and are made to make bettas look like a peice of art.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #4 
Aequilo

That's awful. Have you seen the iPonds, where the fish can't move around AT ALL because it's about 3 square inches large and the depth is possibly half an inch? D: It's bad. It's wrong. Fish are animals too, even if they aren't cuddly.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #5 
southafrica1001

ive seen all of those products and they still shock me . lets not get me started on the iponds :(
Old 07-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #6 
aquathena

That is awful! I can't believe a product like that is on the market!

I hate to think of the betta fish that suffer in that... thing
Old 07-06-2008, 02:02 AM   #7 
iamntbatman

Well, there's some light at the end of the tunnel. I googled the iPond and the entire first page of hits were articles describing the cruelty of the device.

I think there are much worse things in the aquarium fish trade than things like the iPond. Only a complete idiot would buy an iPond thinking that it's actually providing a suitable environment for their fish. Much scarier, I think, are things like the betta-in-a-vase kits that I've seen for sale. They claim that the plant provides food and oxygen for the betta. People watch stuff like Animal Planet all the time, so I could easily understand someone who doesn't know much about bettas believing that a symbiotic relationship like that is actually possible. The same goes for 1-gallon bowls that people think their bettas thrive in because they come from "tiny puddles."
Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #8 
ErinBBC

Bettas are fish just like any other and the general rule for all fish is one gallon of water per inch of fish as a MINIMUM. So, for a 2 - 3 inch fish you need at least a 2.5 or 3 gallon aquarium. Same goes for temperature and filtration - a pet store owner wouldn't sell you any other type of fish and tell you they don't need the right temps and a filter. I don't get why people think betta fish are exempt from general fish care rules!

There's a small family owned pet store near me and I'm going to write them a letter that includes the Betta Care and FAQ written by Cody and updated by BettaBaby. I know they'll probably just throw it away but at least I can say I tried.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #9 
tmz

centerpieces?? thats upsetting since thats like 80 fish without care D=

the only reason i got a one gallon bowl for mine was cos when i bought it it was like 3/4 of an inch, so i figured any bigger then that would be totally unnessacery. currently, its an inch, so the bowl is still suitable.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #10 
ErinBBC

Until your fish gets bigger TMZ then it will probably be fine in a one gallon as long as you have one of those mini-heaters from Hydor and maybe a small filter to keep ammonia from building up in such a small space - that's another problem with small tanks/bowls is that it's hard to find heaters and filters that fit them, and you have to do partial water changes every other day which is a pain.
Closed Thread