Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #41 
tmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Not to try and push my beliefs on anyone... But your all very concerned about bettas being in small bowls (Right on! Go for it, its very wrong) But you believe people should be doing more about these animals rights, but fish are just as disposable to the people who make these things, as baby cows are to anyone who drinks a glass of milk everyday.
is that really a legit comparison? O__o
what happens to baby cows???
i drink like five. cos i'd prolly be dead from starvation if i didnt. milk is one of the three things i can actually digest....
Old 08-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #42 
Little-Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz
is that really a legit comparison? O__o
what happens to baby cows???
i drink like five. cos i'd prolly be dead from starvation if i didnt. milk is one of the three things i can actually digest....
How is that not a legit comparison? Did you think cows were milk machines?

No, pretty sure cows, just like every other living being including humans, only produce milk when having a baby. Where do 80% of those baby cows go? Veal. Sorry theres no denying it. Drinking milk directly supports the veal industry, thats why I had to give it up. Wait, lol I actually hate milk, I haven't drank it in like 5 years. I used to love it when I was a kid but I just grew out of it. Its nasty. But I did give up cheese, and chocolate because of it.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #43 
tmz

Quote:
How is that not a legit comparison? Did you think cows were milk machines?

No, pretty sure cows, just like every other living being including humans, only produce milk when having a baby. Where do 80% of those baby cows go? Veal. Sorry theres no denying it. Drinking milk directly supports the veal industry, thats why I had to give it up. Wait, lol I actually hate milk, I haven't drank it in like 5 years. I used to love it when I was a kid but I just grew out of it. Its nasty. But I did give up cheese, and chocolate because of it.
oh wow. not gonnna lie, i never really thought about it. but that does make sense. sucks that i really dont have a choice. i like baby animals =(
Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #44 
Little-Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz
oh wow. not gonnna lie, i never really thought about it. but that does make sense. sucks that i really dont have a choice. i like baby animals =(
To be honest I never thought about it like that either. And then one day it hit me and I was like " What am I doing!!?!?!" I felt really hypocritical, that I wouldn't eat an animals flesh but I had no problem eating its by products that supported inhumane treatment of helpless baby animals. It was a life changing day. And ever since I've never been able to take vegetarians seriously lol.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #45 
Falina

Quote:
No, pretty sure cows, just like every other living being including humans, only produce milk when having a baby.
Not to disagree with your point. I understand the concept behind being a vegan and all. Just wanted to point out, for anyone now feeling really guilty for drinking milk etc:

I grew up on a farm with mainly dairy cows and lived there for the first 18 years of my life. The cows were milked every day and rarely did any of them have calfs, or had recently had calfs. Cows, as with all mammals, will continue producing milk as long as it is being expressed. So a cow can give birth once, feed its calf, then become a dairy cow and continue producing milk the rest of its life as long as it is being milked. They are still used as milking machines and many will argue this is abusing the cow but I just wanted to point out the calfs are not torn away from their mothers just so we can use their milk.

This is however a bit offtopic, so I'm sorry. I just wanted to clear that up.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #46 
Little-Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falina
I grew up on a farm with mainly dairy cows and lived there for the first 18 years of my life. The cows were milked every day and rarely did any of them have calfs, or had recently had calfs. Cows, as with all mammals, will continue producing milk as long as it is being expressed. So a cow can give birth once, feed its calf, then become a dairy cow and continue producing milk the rest of its life as long as it is being milked. They are still used as milking machines and many will argue this is abusing the cow but I just wanted to point out the calfs are not torn away from their mothers just so we can use their milk.

This is however a bit offtopic, so I'm sorry. I just wanted to clear that up.

Yes, while I'm not disagreeing that there are good dairy farms, like the one you grew up on. But for the most part they aren't that nice. Just like there are good farms where chickens, cows and pigs are raised for slaughter. But I guess I'm aimed more towards factory farms. I'm not in it just for animal rights. Its destroying our planet more then cars, and the amount of grain and fresh water we use to raise live stock could feed third world countries.

BUT! I am disagreeing that the calfs aren't torn away from their mothers to use their milk. If the calfs are to be used for veal, they are taken immediately, and tied down so their meat is tender (I'm sure everyone knows that though)

But yes off topic, sorry. I'm not trying to brainwash anyone to being vegan. But hopefully making it easier to understand why people wouldn't care about fish too much.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #47 
girlofgod

i love how we start a post about bettas and we end up talking cows. LOL

and just for the record, i'm a little curious, because some of the fishkeepers, even here at the forum, keep their bettas in one gallon bowls/tanks/whatever, and yet they think it's cruel to keep them in some of these other things? like the one hanging on the wall...how is that ANY different from a bowl shaped like a huge martini glass, or any other one gallon bowl? a gallon is a gallon! regardless of the shape of the container.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #48 
Little-Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlofgod
a gallon is a gallon! regardless of the shape of the container.
Agreed, although if that oh betta thing is one gallon, not saying it is, but if. I would rather see a betta in a one gallon bowl then that ring. Thats just a death trap.

But I honestly think a betta shouldn't be kept in anything less then 5 gallons. I don't think anything should be kept in a tank smaller then 5 gallons.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #49 
tmz

Quote:
Agreed, although if that oh betta thing is one gallon, not saying it is, but if. I would rather see a betta in a one gallon bowl then that ring. Thats just a death trap.

But I honestly think a betta shouldn't be kept in anything less then 5 gallons. I don't think anything should be kept in a tank smaller then 5 gallons.
i think it's liek 1/4 gallon or 1/2....in any case, it shouldnt exist
i've actually seen a lot of these for sale. the fish in space one is TINY. like hand-held sized. i dont think any of them are anywhere near a gallon

eh, my fish are pretty small so i have them in 2.5 gallon tanks. liek my female betta is all of an inch or so. i'd lose her in a 5 gallon XD
Old 08-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #50 
tmz

Quote:
To be honest I never thought about it like that either. And then one day it hit me and I was like " What am I doing!!?!?!" I felt really hypocritical, that I wouldn't eat an animals flesh but I had no problem eating its by products that supported inhumane treatment of helpless baby animals. It was a life changing day. And ever since I've never been able to take vegetarians seriously lol.
yeah...i cant be vegetarian or vegan. im allergic to pretty much all plant life. and what im not allergic to my stoamch cant handle and i just puke everywhere D=
milk and eggs are liek two of the five things i can eat without a problem XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by "girlofgod"
i love how we start a post about bettas and we end up talking cows. LOL
aint it great? =D[/quote]
Closed Thread