Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #1 
Ezzie

Water parameters of new tank..

Yep, even after i found new homes for my previous three fighters i couldn't stay away! I found myself an amazing white halfmoon (i'm actually thinking hes a rose tail) who i am collecting tomorrow and in the mean time have set up his tank.

This is the tank i have: http://www.bigw.com.au/home-garden/p...tarter-kit-21l

The tank WAS fully cycled when my sister had it previously but since it was emptied and cleaned i thought i had lost the cycle, i made the decision to replace half the filter wool with already "seeded" wool from my big tank as well as use some of those ceramic tubes (can never remember the name) that was used in my already big cycled tank.

After three days, these are my parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nirtite: 0
Nitrate: 40-80ppm
Ph: 7.2

I still have no idea why my Nitrate is still so high even after i preformed a half water change (with Prime) and its really bugging me!! I know that Nitrate isn't dangerous in small doses but if it continues to be high i know it can be an issue. I'm not really sure what else to do to get that Nitrate down... Shouldn't it have changed when i did the water change or am i missing something?

Do you think that these parameters will be okay to introduce my new fish?

Also, regarding the light, do you believe it is suitable for plants? I have tried to google everything regarding it and cannot find information, i would love live plants, but not if there going to die on me!
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you using strip test or liquid? Have you tested your tap water? Are you adding ammonia to feed the BB until you introduce your fish? High nitrates usually are the end of the cycling process. I would get the nitrates down before putting in a fish. I would do an 80-90% water change, I don't know how big your water change was but sounds like it needs to be bigger.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #3 
ryancalif

If it were me, I would probably do a 50% water change, and change again a few hours or a day later if the nitrates are still high. 80-90% is a very large change to make all at once, and might end up stalling your cycle. It's happened to me a number of times in the past...
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #4 
Ezzie

I am using liquid testers, the ones from api. I test for everything daily to keep track. I tested the tap water for nitrates and it came back 0 which is why I was confused as to why it didn't lower the nitrates in my tank. I had done a 50% change but I will do another one tomorrow before adding the fish, I can't hold off collecting him as the shop only holds for 3 days.. Do you reckon that he will be okay even if the tanks at the end of the cycle?
Would adding or replacing water from either of my 2 already established tanks help?
Also, do cycles work better with live plants? I have never tried cycling a fake planted tank..
Sorry for all the questions, I just really want the fish to get the best home possible!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #5 
Ezzie

Milton is now home (will post pictures when hes released into the tank) i did another 30% water change with prime and with 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt and the Nitrates were still high I'm still not understanding why its not even budging to go down, i think ill just do 15-20% daily until it starts to change.

I also got him an anubis plant that i'm going to give a go attaching to his driftwood hopefully it grows