Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #1 
GailC

Algae eater?

I have a ten gallon with one betta, some MTS and 3 or 4 cherry shrimp. The tank is having a awful outbreak of brown algae and I would like to get something to help keep it clean.
I was considering otos but I don't have enough live plants or hiding spots for them. I'd prefer a non schooling species if possible.
The other option I have is to move my dwarf bristle nose pleco into the 10 gallon until the algae is gone then putting him back in the community tank. He is full grown at less then 3". If his size is ok for a 10, he could even stay permanently.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #2 
Crowntails

3 otos would be fine.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #3 
Nicci Lu

Not sure if you'd want more shrimp, but Amano shrimp are algae (including brown) eating machines. I've heard they'll even eat hair algae.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 
GailC

More shrimp would be fine but I can't get them around here and I don't want to order online. I'll keep my eyes open for them though.
Any thoughts on the pleco in a 10? I like otos but they always die on me and the ones at the pets store look pretty scrawny.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #5 
Nicci Lu

Otos definitely need lots to plants to thrive- perhaps this is why you don't have good luck with them. IMO, the small plec should be fine in a 10 gallon with the low bioload you have in there. I would keep an eye on the water parameters after you introduce him, though, since they are pretty big waste producers.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #6 
Scottyhorse

I personally wouldn't add the pleco to the 10 gal, they have rather large bio loads. Perhaps some nerite snails?
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #7 
WaffleSire

Or, how bout a Marimo? Little, green, fuzzy algae eaters? Won't produce ammonia, since it's only a plant. Or maybe a nerite snail? Two of those babies would clean up the tank in a matter of days, if i'm correct.

I know you said you didn't wanna order online, but you can get nano marimos on Ebay for two bucks a piece, and it's less likely they'll die during shipment. Does your LPS have them?
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #8 
GailC

I went ahead and added the pleco, he cleaned the tank up overnight. I'll be removing him soon, I just need to catch him in the open.
I'd like to get a moss ball sometime but they aren't sold locally.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #9 
djembekah

Yeah i would never keep a bristlenose pleco in anything under 20 gallons permanently. I've also never heard of dwarf bristlenose plecos. he might just be stunted. Or small boned. glad he cleaned up for you though :)
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #10 
GailC

No, he is a actual dwarf. This particular species doesn't have a common name but only get to around 2" full grown.
I have put him back in the community tank, he is a bit of a bully to any fish or snail he can get close to and he tore up Odins fins a bit. Now that he is back in a tank with large snails, he uses them like a basketball to entertain himself.