Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #1 
Deanna01

What is on this plant?

My daughter has had this tank (with plant) for about two weeks. She got a gold inca snail several days ago and has now noticed this growth on her plant. Does anyone know what it is? From my understanding, inca snails lay their eggs above the waterline. Is it possible it is infested with snail eggs from when we first bought it, and they're growing? Should I uproot the plant and throw it away?

Thank you for any help!
Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #2 
bniebetta

If they are they snail I am thinking of, it might be able to reproduce in freshwater and you are about to have a bajillion baby snails.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #3 
Deanna01

Gah! I will just uproot the plant and throw it away. Surely preferable?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #4 
bniebetta

I would, and probably eradicate any that you see in other parts of the tank. That's if I am right about the baby snail thing, but they will just keep reproducing and they have a HUGE bioload (they poop a lot, more than they contribute to the tank in many cases). If it's something else, I have never seen it before but I am relatively new to the hobby. They could also be other snails, many plants are kept in tanks with snails or grown in ponds where snails come in contact with them. One thing you can do when you get new plants to prevent a snail infestation is dip the plants in a potassium permanganate soulution. You can buy PP online or even at walmart. It's called jungle water clear in the fish section, in a yellow bottle and PP is the main ingredient. I dont know the proportions of the drops to water, but it should work. :)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #5 
bniebetta

How big is your tank? Tankmates for anything under 5 gallons is not usually recommended. If she still wants a snail, I would go with a freshwater nerite. They can be hard to find but petco sometimes carries them and they have the smallest bioload of freshwater snails. They also can only reproduce in brackish (salty) water so you wont need to worry about having a thousand snails. They may lay eggs, but they will not hatch.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #6 
bniebetta

you can probably still keep the plant if you dip it in potassium permanganate :)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #7 
Deanna01

I just tossed the plant. Hopefully we won't be completely inundated with baby snails. Her aquarium is 10g.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #8 
bniebetta

well, if you do, you could basically take down the aquarium, bleach everything (just know what you can and can't bleach) and scrub it all down to satrt from scratch snail-free :) There is a kind of snail, the assasin snail, that will eat other snails but I don't know if they randomly reproduce as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #9 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
I just tossed the plant. Hopefully we won't be completely inundated with baby snails. Her aquarium is 10g.
retrieve the plant and QT in salt water for 15 mins. the snails will detach.
Supposedly, Jungle Clearwater will rid of snail and eggs because of Potassium Permanganate. also, read here you can use hydrogen peroxode to QT if you do not have shrimps. HTH.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote