Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #1 
Adnamac

A few sorority questions.

So I'm working on beginning a sorority. I've read the sticky, but I still have a few questions in reguards to beginning one. Well, one main one.

When I first get my females (Thursday, hopefully!) I know they should be quarintened but withen view of each other for about 1-2 weeks. (Perfect for me, it'll give the planted tank I want to put them in more time to grow.) I plan on getting 3-4 females. The tank I have set up is a 6.5 gallon petco bookshelf one. That would give each female a bit more then 1 gallon tank space each.

The sticky read as 10 gallon minimum, so I know this is probably rather pushing it. If taken proper care of and there is proper coverage for all fish involved I would think it should be alright, yes?

Answers/opinions/help much apprectiated!
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It may work in terms of space and enough coverage but I'm not sure about how high the ammonia levels will get in that amount of space. Also, it's probably better to get more so the aggression will be spread. I'm pretty sure that's in the sticky and you probably know that.

I feel if you think you can handle this and the amount of water changes and an eye kept on them, I think it could work. I feel it's more like the 10 gallon is easier to cycle and easier to clean/keep clean so that's why it's recommended.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #3 
Fishy Mom

Honestly, that book shelf aquarium is longer than most 10 gallon aquariums. The girls could probably claim a decent amount of territory with the length of it. So, it's likely you won't have any problems with 4 females.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #4 
bniebetta

Yeah, three causes problems or so i have heard. I also remember reading somewhere that odd numbers make it easier for them to create a hierarchal system, just something to consider.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I honestly don't think this is a good idea in a 6.5 gallon.

It's really not necessarily the space, but four girls is bare minimum and you are going to dramatically decrease your chances of injury with more space and more girls (5-6 at least. Like I said, 4 is bare minimum).

I have 6 girls in a 10 and although I took every precaution possible, there was still some fin damage in the beginning, and I could definitely tell that one girl was getting most of the damage. Having more girls spreads that out so that ONE girl isn't constantly the only one being attacked.

I also would quarantine for AT LEAST two weeks. I planned my sorority for 3 and a half months and honestly, if I were you, I'd give myself some time and re-think trying to set up a sorority in a 6.5 gallon and see if you can get a bigger set-up with space for more girls.

Edit: I am not trying to crush your hopes, trust me. I love my sorority and I encourage everyone to try one, BUT, sororities are quite a bit more sensitive than tanks with just one male betta. A single sick girl can wipe all of them out. It really requires time to plan because if it doesn't work out, it's quite a bit of money and time thrown down the drain. I was able to buy a male and a tank and all the accessories on the spur-of-the-moment with no issues, but if I tried to do the same with a sorority, I'd probably have a group of sick, severely injured, or dead girls on my hand. It's also important to understand HOW sororities are able to co-exist. Bettas are, after all, "fighting fish", and are aggressive by nature.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 04-23-2013 at 02:53 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I had also thought the number thing was true for the girls but a few people said here something which I liked a lot.

Betta's can't count, so it doesn't matter whether you have evens or odds, but anything over 4 is always good.

I think the biggest thing to watch out for is really their personalities, if you can and are able to spend a week with some of the girls before they are even contimplated going to the tank that would be good. Keep them close and watch how they react to each other, if you have to take one back then you have to. I am fortunate and I've never had to take any back.

My girls also like to chill up in front in the huge water sprite plant I have, they are very social with each other and actually seem to like looking at each other with the occasional nip. But of course this can all turn in an instant so you just have to keep an eye out.

I know you said you read the stickies and stuff but I suggest you search every crack and space google has to offer you, you can find some really great resources there. I always google everything before asking questions or doing something :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #7 
DefStatic

After substrate, plants, and decor, you no longer have 6.5 gallons. It may sound like an old rule, but I still abide by the 1" of fish per gallon rule. Especially if you do not have upgraded filtration.

As for space, I think it is best to have a 6 gal long than a 6 gal tall tank in the case. You will want to be sure that tank is well cycled before though. The bioload in a 6.5 gallon fish in cycle with 3 or 4 fish would be pushing it.

People say 4+ Females. I have even heard people say 6 is the real minimum. I have 2. That is NOT THE NORM. So do not copy me LOL. Or if you do, do not expect the same results (although the jury is still not back on mine).

I just happened to get two that look seriously like sisters, were already living in a community tank, and I have them now in a traditional 30gal, so there is plenty of space. It is my understanding that I seem to have gotten two females that break the norm, and is fairly rare for them to get along like this.

I have seen the same thing with males. I have seen people say no matter what size tank, they couldn't keep a male with other community fish. And others with seemingly laid back males that do not seem to care a community. But it isn't the norm.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

While it is still a longer tank than most 10 gallons, there is still less water volume to work with. Even less when you start adding in your substrate and decor.

Therefore, water quality is something you are going to have to watch in a tank of that size (if you are 100% set on doing this) as you do not want to add the stress of poor water quality to your females as this is when the wheels start to fall off the wagon.

I would never do a sorority of three. Five or more is my general thoughts and I have run several successful sororities in the past. Most sororities you see that 'successfully' have three females are either using very young females or have not been set up for very long. Often you do not get a progress report on how those sororities turn out six months or a year down the track.

Personally I would go for a standard 10 gallon rather than the bookshelf tank. Yes, it is a good shape for bettas, but you still have less water volume to play around with.

Okay I was still posting while Defstatic posted so some stuff is repeated.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 
Fishy Mom

Can I change my answer? We all know what happens when we start a sorority...you end up wanting more girls. How many here ended up upgrading to a bigger tank after getting their fish? So, while you may be successful with your current tank I foresee a 20 long in your future because you need more girls & the 6.5 with a male in it, lol. You might want to just head straight to the 20 long now & if Petco is still having their aquarium sale you could get a tank & accessories for close to the same price as the 6.5g.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
After substrate, plants, and decor, you no longer have 6.5 gallons. It may sound like an old rule, but I still abide by the 1" of fish per gallon rule. Especially if you do not have upgraded filtration.

As for space, I think it is best to have a 6 gal long than a 6 gal tall tank in the case. You will want to be sure that tank is well cycled before though. The bioload in a 6.5 gallon fish in cycle with 3 or 4 fish would be pushing it.

People say 4+ Females. I have even heard people say 6 is the real minimum. I have 2. That is NOT THE NORM. So do not copy me LOL. Or if you do, do not expect the same results (although the jury is still not back on mine).

I just happened to get two that look seriously like sisters, were already living in a community tank, and I have them now in a traditional 30gal, so there is plenty of space. It is my understanding that I seem to have gotten two females that break the norm, and is fairly rare for them to get along like this.

I have seen the same thing with males. I have seen people say no matter what size tank, they couldn't keep a male with other community fish. And others with seemingly laid back males that do not seem to care a community. But it isn't the norm.
I really appreciate this answer. Even though some people have had 2 or 3 girls work, it is VERY risky. Not recommended.

That being said, it is possible that 4 girls in a 6.5 would work but most people advise against it because its also risky. I personally would be bummed if this experience makes you give up on sororities and costs you a lot of money and time. Sororities are my favorite and I love to see other members' experiences and pictures/videos.

I also agree that you will eventually upgrade the tank. This is inevitable. It might just work better to start off bigger.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote