Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What betta myth really ticks you off?
they live in tiny dirty puddles in the wild 12 13.19%
they only need small bowls, they don't move much anyway 52 57.14%
cold tank water is good because it slows their metabolism and they don't poop as much 11 12.09%
they only need to eat a couple of times a week 4 4.40%
they are only supposed to live for a few months to a year 12 13.19%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #11 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
All of them.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #12 
Tyyrlym

I chose the tiny dirty puddles one because that myth seems to be the root of almost all of it. It leads to the small bowls, minimal care, etc.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #13 
JMeenen

I lkie your sand bottom...
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #14 
iamntbatman

All of them are pretty bad, but I'm going to defend the cold water myth a bit. Fish are cold-blooded creatures, so their metabolisms are dictated almost entirely by the temperature of their surroundings. When reading about aquarium fish in general, I've read that increased temperatures increase the metabolisms and ultimately shorten the lifespans of fish simply because they age quicker. A fish kept at cooler temperatures should require less food and could live longer.

However, all of this is ignoring other variables present. For example, a tropical fish kept at temperatures cooler than it requires will have a weakened immune system and be more susceptible to disease. So, odds are that if you keep your fish at lower temps than it needs it could die young due to any number of diseases. Not to mention that it also seems unnatural to artificially prolong the lifespan of a fish beyond what its body is designed to provide for.

I think the cool temp betta myth must have come from people who show bettas. I've read that many people keep their best show bettas at cooler temperatures to prolong their lives so that they can get more wins for the fish. Still unnatural if you ask me, though.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #15 
MelKurtonic

.. (tried deleting but don't know how)

Last edited by MelKurtonic; 02-16-2011 at 02:02 PM.
MelKurtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #16 
MelKurtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBBC View Post
These are all the myths that I have heard from pet store workers.

I HATE petstore workers... this one self proclaimed "fish expert" told me that goldfished had to be housed by themselves because they give off too much amonia and yes goldfish are very wasteful fish and require frequent cleanings but they won't kill other fish if you take care of them properly and maintain their levels... She also told me that a tropical fish we were looking at (can't remember the name but they looked like orange cichlid from what I remember) was mild manored and could be kept with fantails which were significantly smaller than the fish... upon researching this online I found that cichlids are mildly agressive and that they would nip at the fantails or eat them if they were small enough... I was so enraged with this women I refuse to shop at the store when she is working..... Then this one crazy lady at pier 1 told us that we could stick the bettas in this really small bowl shaped like a fish because she had bettas that lived for 7 years in cramped spaces and that she liked putting them in together and watch them fight she also said that she would lay them in the sink with no water while she cleaned their bowls.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #17 
MelKurtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by southafrica1001 View Post
i think the worst one in my opinion (all of those are bad) is that bettas can be put in a bowl with the plant bulb at the top and you never have to feed it, what a way to die, no food and no acess to the surface . but every hobby has a bad side i suppose, people just need to be re-educated :D
I saw that and was nervous about it because there was nowhere for the betta to breathe then was told that the betta breath from the plant because it oxygenates the water which still puzzled me because betta have a lung like mechanism in them and need to breathe fresh air or they'll soffocate
Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #18 
MelKurtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfish1996 View Post
I picked the small bowls because there are so many people that believe this that it bothers me that we cant like teach all of them if that makes sense...
Not only the small bowls but the fact that there is merchandise implying and encouraging the small bowls my neighbor has two male betta and they're in this tiny sectioned off bowl that isn't even a gallon between the two of them we went and got our own designer bowls from a craft store that were not only cool looking but provided our betta enough space to swim and play around, hide and relax. there is also the myth that you shouldn't put betta with plants because of some reason or another but after my research I found that betta love little hiding places such as plants. I have plants and ornaments and other cool betta "toys" in our betta tanks to keep them comfortable and relaxed
Old 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #19 
MelKurtonic

sorry I'm posting so much I am a very enthusiastic new owner lol I absolutely love our betta and goldfish and want them to live as long as possible... my husband didn't understand the attatchment I had to these fish until he got his own betta to obsess over now he gets me lol
Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #20 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I picked the last one because if people really believe that their fish will only live for a few months, when it dies from one or all of the other myths listed they will not even question it and will make the same mistakes again!
This is what I thought too.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote