Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #1 
Shadyr

Anything else I can or should do?

Indigo is my daughter's betta. He was already the biggest one we had when we brought him home and we've had him for a year and change now.

I noticed about a week and a half ago that he was looking *very* bloated. I checked her food jar and it was almost empty. (This is a cautionary tale, don't just assume it's all good when the child says Yes They Fed The Fish)

Indigo has been on a strict diet of two pellets a day but he doesn't seem to be de-bloating. Two days ago, I decided it wouldn't hurt to see if we can help it along. When I went to change the water, I discovered the heater plug had gotten knocked loose, and the temp was down to 72. He's now in 2.5G treated with 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salt, and I've brought the temp gradually up to 78. Last night I soaked a couple of FD daphnia and let him have that instead of pellets. I put a mirror in for him for a few minutes since there seems to be anecdotal evidence that a nice round of flaring can help pop out a poop. He flared and danced for about 20 seconds and then went and hid in the silk plant.

Other than the bloaty tummy, he acts normal. He has an appetite, he's built us a tiny bubble nest. He's been in the same tank for the last year, nothing new was introduced that might have given him parasites, though there's always that chance...

I could toss an IAL in. I have some. Since his behaviour is fine, I don't want to hit him with medicines if I don't have to. Am I doing the right things so far? Any other suggestions?
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Sounds like your doing great and yes toss in a IAL those are always good to use anytime . I keep a couple in my 5 gallon with my Betta and change them out once a week when I do my water change.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 
Shadyr

IAL added last night. Going to fast him for a couple of days, not just reduce the food. If no change by the weekend, we might go in for a round of parasite meds *just in case*.

*frets*
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Could also treat with Epsom Salts. Could be the start of a swim bladder thing, or he could just be constipated. Either can be whipped out of him with Epsom Salt treatment!
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 
Shadyr

Well, he's still hanging in there. Been feeding him much less and I want to think he's looking less ready to explode. I did a 5 day course of parasite meds on him just to be safe (which had the gross side effect of white slime forming on everything in the tank, which I've read about happening to other people but haven't personally seen till now!). And in the continuing saga of "What else can happen?" he seems to have popped a scale or banged his belly on something, there's a visible wound. SO: He's now in a QT tank with warm AQ salted water. This poor fish, he's being salted so much his new name should be Fish Jerky. The scales worry me, I can see the tips raised a bit, raising *my* fear of pineconing, but he's still swimming, alert, and interested in food.

*keeping fingers crossed*