Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Egg Crate Dividers

Hello:

Can you divide a tank with egg crate without covering with craft mesh? I'll be dividing a 20 long heavily planted tank. I will have plants on both sides of the divider and may eventually do a moss or baby tears' upper wall (leaving just a row or two at the bottom bare).

Willie and Si are currently living in five gallon, heavily planted tanks with Red Cherry and Rili shrimp. With the egg crate the shrimp will be able to swim freely from each side; plus, there won't be the problem with gunk catching on the egg crate like it can with mesh.

I don't think they can, but has anyone had their Bettas squeeze through the egg crate squares?

Thank you.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

Maybe you should post a pic of what you mean before we advise.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

This is egg crate. You can buy it at Home Depot, etc. Used with ceiling fluorescent light fixtures.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Forgot to add, you can see them in an aquarium at:

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...-of-tanks.html
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

Theoretically it doesn't look like it but the holes are definitely bigger than craft mesh. It depends on the size of your bettas. I can see advantages to it no sagging and if you use AQ silicone you won't need the report binders.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #6 
tekkguy

It would be too easy to see through.

However, if you covered it in moss, it would be much more stable than craft mesh, and just as opaque. It will allow MUCH more water flow than craft mesh, even with a light covering of moss.

You might also consider painting it so it's a more natural color than white. Krylon spraypaint is 100% aquarium safe when applied in multiple thin coats and allowed to dry between. Allow 24-48 hours of drying before putting in the tank, and you might consider a clear coat over it just to protect the paint from scrapes.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Thank you for the replies.

My first thought when I saw the Oscar set-up was the higher water flow. I also thought about the shrimp running into the craft mesh and being cornered

I discovered these have 1/2" squares and come in black. Unfortunately, I can only find black online and it's a bit too pricey. Painting is something I hadn't considered so thanks for that idea.

I plan on using suction cups to hold the divider in place. Will plant Cabomba in front while the moss takes hold. I even have considered putting temporary dividers 1" on either side of the moss divider until the moss takes hold.

Again, appreciate the advice.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

I'd be really careful with it. I know the stuff you're talking about, never tried it for fish, but I'm familiar with the product. I've had guys who tried to swim through some ridiculously tiny areas and get stuck and seriously injured.

If you covered it with moss, could the shrimp still get through?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I plan to leave the bottom row or two uncovered by moss but planted with dwarf hairgrass or baby tears on either side.

Thanks for the questions; they're making me think this out more. Don't have the aquarium yet so I have time to plan better.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote