Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #1 
Grandma Cindy

Half way thru cycling new tank & filter cartridge is falling apart

I've committed myself to help my son & 8 yr. old granddaughter establish a Betta home in a Tetra 3 gal. tank. She will not purchase a fish until we all have the home ready & all understand our individual responsibilities. The tank came w/ a air-powered, in-tank Whisper 3i filter & 1 Tetra Bio-Bag cartridge. 3 weeks into the ammonia/fish food combination cycle & Nitrates growing, I see bits of filter floss breaking loose. There's also something that looks like it could the BB's in tiny clusters floating atop the water.

If you would be so kind, I need short term and long term advise on what to do. I'm thinking long term, of converting the filter into more of a sponge filter. It can operate submerged to bottom & extended water bottle column & baffle could hold sponge or filter floss clear to the surface. More filter media = more BB's, right? Short term, I can't thing of anything other than insert a 2nd cartridge in front or behind the coming apart one and ask for help.
Grandma Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I hate the filter cartridges that come with filters, they do fall apart very quickly. Here's what I did; cut the cartridge so I could take out the charcoal & get the plastic frame out leaving me with a just the material. I then just put that in with the sponge. This way I didn't lose my cycle & I was able to convert to nothing but sponge after a few weeks with no issues. Good Luck!
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 
Grandma Cindy

Thank you! It's been decades since I had an aquarium & I finding there's a world of difference between this 3 gallon for a Betta & my previous 40 gallon w/ canister & under-gravel filters for 1 goldfish!

I also love the forum feature that shows similar posts. It worked better for me than using the Search. This is a wonderful forum. Your love for Betta fish is contagious. I may have to have one live at my house.
Grandma Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote