Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #1 
Jayloo

Curious as to when other breeders incorporate frozen food to their fry...

My fry are 4 weeks old today and quite large. Previous spawns weren't started on frozen food until about 6 weeks.. Is 4 weeks to early on anyone's opinion? What do you all usually do?
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

When I first introduce frozen foods, I usually just drop some frozen brine shrimp in and see if any of the fry are big enough to manage it. I've found fry can fit surprisingly large things into their mouths so I like to get mine started on frozen foods as soon as the biggest can eat it.

I use the frozen as a stepping stone between live and pellets.

Also, I go by size versus age when it comes to my fry because each spawn can develop at different rates.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't think you can really put an age on it- all spawns are different and they all grow and develop at different rates. You could definatly try it at 4 weeks and then clean it out if they don't eat it. What type of frozen food?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #4 
Jayloo

They are managing live adult brine shrimp with no problem. I have frozen bloodworms, glassworms, and brine shrimp. I just didn't know if it would be a waste of time because it wasn't moving. At 6 weeks they would eat anything. But I have never had 4 week fry thrive so well!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

All it takes is one fry to try it and I've found that other fry will then follow suit. I introduced frozen foods into one of my grow-outs recently and some of the bigger fry in the tank ate it so their siblings started giving it a go too.

If they are taking live they should be able to at least take frozen brine shrimp.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #6 
Jayloo

I will experiment tonight... I have to change out some water anyway...
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I love when you try a new food on your bettas and they just watch it sink all the way to the bottom and then look at you like "that's it?". Then you have to go and siphon it all back out.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 
Myates

I would try it.. I was late giving one of my spawns frozen food.. in fact today was their first bit at it at the age of 2.5 months lol. They LOVED it.
As long as it's not too big for their mouth, so it won't choke them (sometimes they choke on food too large), then I say go for it :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #9 
Jayloo

I got home late so I hurried and done a water change and then added their night time feeding of MW. Will attempt the frozen foods in the morning...