Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 
crowntaillove3

Please Post Pictures of Things Not Intended to be Tanks Being Used as Tanks

Hey guys! I know that many of us have fish in glasses, centerpieces, buckets, tubs, ect. We also have fish in tanks intended to be used as tanks. Please post pics of anything not intended to be used as a fish tank being used as a fish tank! I have four guppies (three of them very small, less that 1/2 inches) in a 2 gallon bowl that was originally a centerpiece. I used to have one of my bettas in there, too. I'm sure we would all love to see pictures of everyone's creative usage of glass/plastic objects. Enjoy!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 
Deanna01

I fell in love unexpectedly with Sam at the pet store (I'd never had a fish before), and I kept him in a vase for the week it took to research and get in my Fluval Edge. I put in a little heater and some plants and made him as comfy as possible in the interim!
Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 
ryancalif

ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #4 
LillieCharlotte

I don't have a pic, but I have a gigantic glass teacup (1 gallon) that I used as a temporary home for my fish when i picked him up unexpectedly at the store
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #5 
Deanna01

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

I am keeping a few fish that were in need of rescue in 2 gallon clear sterilite containers until I have a 40 gallon divided ready. The containers were $3.00 each. A 2 gallon critter carrier is $12.00. Since I have a tank coming this was a ecomonical way to help these fish. One had ammonia sores from being a dirty cup for weeks. This is one of the fish (Fiero) enjoying his new surroundings. He promptly built a bubble nest after getting his new space. He had fin rot which is healed now.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 04-24-2013 at 08:14 AM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #7 
leafythegreat

jadaBlu: A lot of Triops keepers keep their alien pets in similar containers because they enjoy shallower depths and the increased surface area gives a lot of room for gas exchange. Not the most attractive solution, but cheap and practical.

Also, not mine. These "totally creative" vodka bottle tanks piss me off. Yeah, I'm sure your fish really enjoys swimming in circles in his little half gallon domain. Jerks.
leafythegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

I got the idea from this forum from breeders. As far as the fish are concerned this is a much more attractive alternative to the cups they were in. These give as much room to swim as my 5 gallon tanks. We can see each other they are watching me now by the computer typing this message.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #9 
Corsica

My smaller Bettas are in sterilite containers. They help keep the temps from fluctuating around. I drilled 3 holes near the rim of each tank, on each side, and can now keep the lids on while still allowing fresh air in. The lids help keep the tanks humid too so I don't have to mess with annoying plastic wrap on them anymore!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #10 
jadaBlu

I just leave one side of the lid tilted up a little bit and use the clip handle to prop it up. This lets air in but still keeps it humid. I have thought about drilling a few holes so I can keep the clips that clamp on the lids shut. I am using a 7.5 watt Top Fin heater and it keeps the temperature at 80 degrees.