Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #1 
mermaid77

Peewee - My baby betta :)

I've only had him/her for 6 days now, and I realize it may be early to say for sure, but, is anyone willing to take a guess on the possible gender of this little cutie? The suspense is already killing me lol, but I'm thinking s/he may turn out to be a female...

Some of you may have already seen the first pic from another thread (panicked, thought s/he wasn't gonna make it past his/her first day home) I posted, obviously not much has changed since day one, except s/he now has a speck of red color on the dorsal fin and some slight fin growth :) It's so hard to get a clear picture of this little bugger, doesn't sit still for a second...Actually, I haven't ever caught him/her at rest, be it day or night! lol

Here s/he is on Day 1

And this is him/her today on Day 6 :) Feisty little thing! Flares quite a bit, but I can never capture it on camera! lol

mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #2 
mermaid77

Anyone...? :(

Lol, it's not important, merely just curiosity on my part...
I read a few people mentioning the appearance of the ventral fins may be some kind of indication when they're so young...figured someone with an experienced eye might be able to tell me whether I'm right in thinking it may be a little girl! :) S/he's so light that it won't be possible to tell if there's any 'white spot', though from what I gather, some males have it too! lol Anyway, I plan on updating this thread with weekly pics of my baby's progress! Woops...guess I should've posted under 'Journals'! :P

Oh hey, I guess I should've asked at Petco, but does anyone have any idea how young these little guys are? What, about 8-9 weeks? And again, just for curiosity's sake, approximately how old would they be when gender becomes more apparent?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #3 
GoodMorning

it's a girl.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #4 
mermaid77

Awww a little girl! She certainly is a pretty pastel pink color atm! lol Thanks GoodMorning! :) Just for my own future reference... Might I ask what gave her away to you? lol Are a male's ventral fins already a little longer than hers at this stage? Dorsal fin more pointed?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #5 
GoodMorning

structure, proportion, fins, and yes ventrals, too.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #6 
mermaid77

LOL well upon looking at the various pics of everyone else's baby bettas on here, my untrained eyes still aren't able to determine any significant differences between the sexes at this age. I guess I'd need a very close side by side comparison and someone beside me to point them out! lol

Thanks!!!! :)
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #7 
konstargirl

I can't see your photo.. :(
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #8 
mermaid77

Huh...that's odd...I still see them :/ If you still want to take a look, I also have her in my profile's Album :)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #9 
MoonShadow

Adorable!! Vote here for girl as well!! And such a cutie!!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #10 
mermaid77

Thanks!!!! :)))) So female 3 male 0 :) Gonna have to start thinking of a pretty name for her...I had thought to name her Destiny...but we'll see...maybe I'll stick to my own roots and give her a nice Italian name :)