Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #1 
Kim

Please help with betta fish!

Ok. I am getting really fed up with worrying about my betta so I figure I might as well ask. When I bought (rescued) my male betta from the fish store he had a blackish edge on his tail fin. Just that one and no others, although he did have a hole in his bottom fin. The hole ended up splitting all of the way down, but is now almost completely healed. The black edge however seemed to get a little larger (more inward on his fin). I figured it was fin rot and tried treating him with melafix. It is supposed to be all natural so I figured that I should try the least aggressive treatment first. It did not make the black area go away, although I couldn't tell if it got any larger. So, I ordered some Maracyn TC (tetracycline), and used this. I did two treatments and the spot did not grow, but it did not seem to go away either, so I figured that I should do some more research because I did not want to kill my fish with too much medication. Well, I haven't found anything. I may be just obsessing, but it seems as if the fin has gotten a little more ragged. Again, it is really hard to tell. This has not affected him in any way but I did notice recently that he has not been blowing bubble nests. I'll skip the whole story, but I found out that there was a ceramic pot in my tank that was causing the pH to increase (7.6 and my water is usually acidic). I took the pot out and am slowly trying to bring the pH back to normal. I don't think that this is the problem with his fin though because the pH must only have increased recently when I went back to my once a week water change schedule (I was doing more frequent changes when he was on the medication). Please help if you know what may be causing the discoloration on his fin, as I really want him to be healthy and happy, especially so because I don't want to have to do medications after he is moved into his new 15 gallon planted tank. Thank you.

PS: Right now he is in a filtered, heated, 5.5 gallon tank with a cover, gravel, and some artificial plants. pH is 7.6 (I am trying to bring it down now that I got rid of the problomatic pot) and ammonia is 0. I will post pictures of his fin when I can get them on the computer.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #2 
ErinBBC

If the antibiotic didn't work maybe try a fungus eliminator.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #3 
hardflip2heavan

Do the fake plants have rough or spiky edges? Those might be the cause of the raggedness. as for the discoloration I'm not sure what could have caused that. you might want to try adding a very small amount of fresh water aquarium salt to his tank. i did this with my green female betta and her color came back rapidly. might be able to help yours too, he might just be getting stressed out because of the high ph and the salt helps to reduce stress.
hardflip2heavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #4 
Kim

No, the plants are silk, and I chose them specifically because they had no rough edges. The gravel is also smooth. I will try a little salt though and see if that helps. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #5 
JMeenen

The black edges on his fins would indicate burning..possible ammonia burn...you mentioned that he came that way....probebly from being in that dirty little cup he came in..I would back off the medications..do your water changes using a dechlorinater..get a good test kit ( not the test papers) test your ammonia and see where your water is..has your tank cycled yet?
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #6 
Kim

Yes, it has cycled. I do have an ammonia test kit (the liquid kind) and the ammonia levels are at 0. Also, he has been off of the medication for over a month now (sorry, forgot to mention that in my post) and I have been watching it all the time. It has only recently shown signs of getting more ragged. This is what is confusing me, as whatever the problem is seems to be really slow moving. Not what you would normally think of when someone says fin rot. Thank you to everyone who has replied.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #7 
JMeenen

hhhmmm..when you do water changes do you use a tap water dechlorinator or just straight tap water?...You do not use distilled water right?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #8 
Kim

I use tap water that has been treated with tap water conditioner. I don't think that it is a burn, because why would it grow when I brought him home and put him in properly treated water??? Also, it is more ragged than discolored. The black is only slightly on the edges, and in one spot where it comes further in. I have some pictures, but I don't think that you can see it in them. I'll post them later on anyway though (I don't know how to get them on the computer now). Thank you very much.[/i]
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #9 
aquakid

it is finrot
aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #10 
JMeenen

Kim..Try "Bettafix" that works pretty well for finRot and it is mild..more so than other meds