Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #1 
xShainax

Mini rant

I hate people who say the people in Asia are barbaric for eating dogs. I see it no worse than eating cows, chicken, lamb, goats, pigs, and fish. Many people who whine are hypocrites and eat meat saying that they were only domesticated to be eaten. If that's true, my uncle who raises chickens for eggs and as pets, raises mini bulls as pets, and pot bellied pigs as pets should kill them since they were only domesticated to be eaten. I am a dog lover so don't get me wrong but I don't see anything wrong with eating something to survive.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
JustinieBeanie

Thank you! Although I am a complete vegan, it really bugs me when I hear people say those types of things, like " oh it's so cruel, inhumane barbaric, blah blah blah to eat a dog, but its ok to eat a pig, which is scientifically tested to be more intelligent than a dog, but is also a mammal with thoughts, emotions, pain sensations, the capability to have both physical and mental feelings just like a dog". Huh? Oh the lack of logic of carnism.
I am the same way about survival. I currently don't need to eat animals to survive,but if I was lost in the wilderness or something, as difficult as I know it would be for me to do, I would eat an animal if my life depended on it. To me as long as the animal is treated with kindness, caring, and respect, is not harmed physically, mentally, or emotionally, is allowed space to roam free, has others of its kind to socialize with if that is what their species does, is given plenty of fresh water and all the food its species is meant to eat (like grass, not grains, for cows etc.), and then is killed in the most humane way possible with little to no suffering, and All of its meat and parts are used after its death, then I see no problem with eating whatever animal you want, so long as it's not threatened or endangered, etc. etc. however because those above criteria aren't met when it comes to much of today's meat, egg, and dairy, industries, that is why I personally chose not to eat animal products. Not because I think it is wrong or evil to eat animal products, but because I think the way the animals are treated in much of the industry it is wrong and evil.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #3 
xShainax

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks it's hypocritical.

Last edited by ao; 04-25-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I completely agree and understand, the only reason for this is that dogs do have a bigger part in most peoples lives. People usually connect better to cats and dogs, hence it is hard to understand why people would eat them.

All that aside, it's definitely not barbaric in any sort. But I would want to eat to survive too, why wouldn't other people? Then again, not all have the same will to live, although we do have that basic instinct, it's not always very prominent in some people.

I find mostly though is that people just can't understand other people. It's a philosophical thing, different people are on different heights of the mind, if you will. Some are more connected to the earth while others are flying sky high, it's literally impossible for one to understand the other even if you do know the answer. Hence why people make these arguments. (Sorry, I'm in a philosophy class this semester ><)

Last edited by ao; 04-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

I personally must say that I would never be able to bring myself to eat any dog, ever. But if it's other people's cultures and they're ways, I say go for it. I mean, I recently went to Australia and ate Kangaroo twice! Delicious, by the way. Eating a dog to some people is no different. I only wouldn't be able to because I so love all dogs so much, no matter how "bad" or gross they are. Just my perspective. I agree, though- people really are hypocrites with this! I'm sure if I were to have a pet pig or cow I would still eat bacon and hamburgers, but to it would just be different with a dog :/
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #6 
xShainax

See, I could never eat kangaroo. I will never tell anyone they are barbaric for eating it.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinieBeanie View Post
Thank you! Although I am a complete vegan, it really bugs me when I hear people say those types of things, like " oh it's so cruel, inhumane barbaric, blah blah blah to eat a dog, but its ok to eat a pig, which is scientifically tested to be more intelligent than a dog, but is also a mammal with thoughts, emotions, pain sensations, the capability to have both physical and mental feelings just like a dog". Huh? Oh the lack of logic of carnism.
I am the same way about survival. I currently don't need to eat animals to survive,but if I was lost in the wilderness or something, as difficult as I know it would be for me to do, I would eat an animal if my life depended on it. To me as long as the animal is treated with kindness, caring, and respect, is not harmed physically, mentally, or emotionally, is allowed space to roam free, has others of its kind to socialize with if that is what their species does, is given plenty of fresh water and all the food its species is meant to eat (like grass, not grains, for cows etc.), and then is killed in the most humane way possible with little to no suffering, and All of its meat and parts are used after its death, then I see no problem with eating whatever animal you want, so long as it's not threatened or endangered, etc. etc. however because those above criteria aren't met when it comes to much of today's meat, egg, and dairy, industries, that is why I personally chose not to eat animal products. Not because I think it is wrong or evil to eat animal products, but because I think the way the animals are treated in much of the industry it is wrong and evil.
Yay, a vegan who gets it! I was a vegan as a child because I had no idea what real meat (with the life & killed as you described) tasted like. I thought all meat tasted terrible. I would only eat deer meat from family members after they went hunting. Then after I met my husband he introduced me to proper meat & made me understand why it's important to spend a couple extra dollars on quality meats. You should have seen me the first time I ate Wagyu (the ones who are massaged & given beer) beef. I have never in my life liked steak & I ate the entire thing without speaking...it was heavenly. Now all our meat comes from one store that carries a better quality free range meats & a family butcher who I can see how the animals are treated.

After writing about this I'm suddenly craving steak, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 
thekinetic

It's not barbaric but it is wrong, and I am no hypocrite. I eat cows, pigs, chicken, deer, elk, and any other "prey" animals. I do not eat bear, wolves, cougars, nor any other predator. And would rather starve than eat a dog, which have been with man for 18000 years which is far longer than any other domesticated animal. We have relied on them for survival for that long and they have become so dependent on humans to survive that they are symbiotic. They are so close they may as well be sentient.

But if yall think it's alright I suppose yall wouldn't be opposed to people eating cats as well then?

And shaina yes, unless you believe in reincarnation.

And don't talk of logic justiniebeanie because I've heard vegans spew just as many illogical sentiments, such as man not being a natural meat eater which of course is not true because ONLY a meat eater has canine teeth. They also tend to always have a "better than thou" attitude!

Last edited by ao; 04-25-2013 at 12:15 PM.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #9 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
And don't talk of logic justiniebeanie because I've heard vegans spew just as many illogical sentiments, such as man not being a natural meat eater which of course is not true because ONLY a meat eater has canine teeth. They also tend to always have a "better than thou" attitude!

Wooooah, calm down there I think justiniebeanie presented herself as nothing less than the most open minded vegan I've ever met in my life, and here you are jumping down her throat. I have a few vegan friends, and one of them DOES have that "better than thou" attitude, but the others don't. You really should not group people together like that.

I think it's really a cultural thing that, of course, anyone from this part of the world would not agree with (for the most part). Sure, dogs have been with people more than any other animals as a companion... but do you take into concideration WHY asians have taken to eating dogs? Even man's best friend is fair game when you're starving to death. The reason asia (particularly china) has such a vast and sometimes creepy array of cuisine on the menu, stems from their overpopulation and times of great famine. Basically, if it moved, you ate it. If you didn't you died. What would you prefer to do? Watch your children starve to death, or slaughter your family pet so that you don't have to see your own child suffer?

It's not necessarily the case now, but it has become part of their culture. It's perhaps the hardest thing for most of us to understand. I'm not very open minded when it comes to new foods.

I grew up in a hunting area. I have, at one point or another, eaten venison, squirrel, duck, bear, and whatever else my friend slipped my way. I never liked any of it. I prefer chicken. I would never eat a dog if I wasn't starving. I don't agree with it. I don't think it's "right" either, but I do understand that what I see as right or wrong is because of my upbringing and the way I was taught to see certain animals.

I mean... you'll eat tuna, salmon, and sardines... but I'm sure you'd have that same nose up attitude if you found a group of people who prefered bettas over sardines. Why? because they are pets in your eyes. Of course I'd be inclined to grab a pitch fork alongside you, lol, but the point is that we have to understand that cultural differences sometimes cross the limits of what one may see as right or wrong.

I will, however, point out that many of the dog farms actually are quite cruelly set up. Oh, and that there are many asians who, within the same country, are equally against eating dogs or many other of the animals they eat. I had several students from south Korea. One lived on the border of the mountains where they are well known for eating dog. He said he would never ever try it.

I actually think eating baby animals is more wrong than eating an adult dog. I can't stand the thought of eatting veal or killing a baby anything to eat just because it might taste more tender. There's just something... heartless about that to me.

You really want to get into wrong (as in... there is no cultural border there) look up ikizukuri. On the other hand, don't unless you have a strong stomach....

Last edited by ao; 04-25-2013 at 12:18 PM.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #10 
xShainax

ikizukuri is really cruel. I have a friend who is Japanese American and she is disgusted with that and wishes it would stop.