Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #91 
veggiegirl

JadeAngel- Interesting views.....admit I never really thought of it like that but then I try not to think about people eating animals in general......I'll admit that it just upsets me too much....I do my bit and that is all I can do other than that I try not to think about things. Anyway back to the point.....sorry wandered a bit off topic there........the bit about lions not being farmable and people not taking up lion rangling (Yes I had a giggle) but............ there are some butchers that sell Lion........yep......Lion! Can't remember where but I just remember there being an uproar of disgust about it.....was on the news sometime in the last.......6 months maybe? Sorry I couldn't be more specific but yeah it always stood out in my mind!!!!!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #92 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Lion meat is usually classed as bushmeat. So in other words illegal poaching. Plus they are endangered and the meat is often taken from wildlife reserves.

In many countries animals that are destined for the food industry have very strict rules to their treatment from birth to the end and as much of the animal as possible is used in just about every industry you can name. The old stereotype of only taking the choice bits no longer stands. On top of being wasteful it isn't cost effective to the businesses.
That being said the constant vigilance of people breaking these guidelines need to be named and shamed. The practice of sow stalls for instance, or cage hens..or barn hens (which is not as nice as it sounds- wall to wall chickens that rarely see the sun). Most people see the wisdom in voting with their wallet, bad practices dissappear if they are no longer profitable.

The problem of meat classification is really a matter of cultural bias which makes it difficult. Particular laws classify animals for meat marketing and these change from country to country based on the public bias to ethics and predominant culture- the law is shaped by its people after all.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #93 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Ah, the famous pittbull thread. Where have I heard about that one before? Hmmm. Every time there is contraversy about something that thread comes up. Yeah, we'll have to take a look at that one.
Hopefully if its mentioned enough you'll do something about it.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #94 
isochronism

The pitbull thread is not bad. Tho, I have not read it all yet, it compromises 69 pages.
I would vote that it stays.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #95 
Freyja
Banned

I've read it all and it is. If others find this thread disturbing and cruel and combative, that one is more so.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #96 
ao
TFK Moderator

If you want to discuss the appropriateness of a thread, please start a new thread on the matter in our Discuss with Moderators section.

Thank you.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #97 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
JadeAngel- Interesting views.....admit I never really thought of it like that but then I try not to think about people eating animals in general......I'll admit that it just upsets me too much....I do my bit and that is all I can do other than that I try not to think about things. Anyway back to the point.....sorry wandered a bit off topic there........the bit about lions not being farmable and people not taking up lion rangling (Yes I had a giggle) but............ there are some butchers that sell Lion........yep......Lion! Can't remember where but I just remember there being an uproar of disgust about it.....was on the news sometime in the last.......6 months maybe? Sorry I couldn't be more specific but yeah it always stood out in my mind!!!!!
Completely understandable that you'd avoid talking or thinking about it Certain subjects (of this nature or many others) just bother certain people too much. I respect that.

I have heard about the lions, amongst many other shocking and endangered animals, but it's rare that more than a few lions are kept in any enclosed setting (even in a zoo type setting) and as Taeanna mentioned, most of the time there is poaching involved, rather than raising them for that purpose. My reference is more taking into consideration a very very large demand.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #98 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
I've read it all and it is. If others find this thread disturbing and cruel and combative, that one is more so.
I think this one is rather civil (thanks to some editing help too ), but I've yet to hear a civil debate about pit bulls. There are 2 extremes and people get both very offensive and very defensive. I'm glad you guys have mentioned it so I know NOT to check it out, lol
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #99 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I really like how this thread holds an important, controversial topic but is civil and respectful.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote