Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #41 
WolfHhowling

I have to but my sense into this.

Its a proven fact, ( thanks to recent studies in plants) that plants have a brain wave of sorts, that quicken when they are being hurt ( ya discovery) and that brockley screams using these waves while being cut. They have also proven plants can sense things, and even produce fear. ( it was a wonderful program on discovery I enjoyed it quite a bit)

I respect Vegy only eaters. But the ones I can't stand are the ones who place moral Values on it.

Back back in the day, they didn't even know what Vegan was. You either eat meat, or you didn't like it. Not because it has a furry face, or face in general.

All I am saying is, if you base standards on its cruel to eat animals, or it has a face we shouldn't eat it. Then they should tell the tigers lions and bears they have to go vegy too. That and the ones that say but they have feelings its not right, how does the poor carrot feel? Can you ask me that?

In all fairity if your going to use those reasonings as to why you don't eat meat. Then you shouldn't eat plant matter either. You should starve, if you wish to only eat things that do not have feelings.

I say does a plant not bleed? Does it not grow? Does it not eat? Does it not Drink as our selves and other creatures? does it not die if it doesn't get those things?

Then it would have feelings as does every other living thing. Every living thing, has to have touch, like the plant that if you touch it it closes its leaves. Or the walking tree ( its endangered and lives in australia look it up).

All I am asking, if for people to instead of throwing moral issues that neither moral nor reasonable in there eating, and just say, I don't like eating it. Or I can't stomach it.

Its less offencive to those who do eat meat, less insensitive when it comes to the poor plant.

( don't take this the wrong way. I just felt plants should be voiced in this thread lol)
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #42 
xShainax

My plants are more of my babies than my betta's. Many of my plants are over 10 years old and I baby them so much
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #43 
Fenghuang

I hope this post is okay, aokashi. You said no stereotyping and I am not trying to stereotype.

I am 100 percent Chinese myself and was raised in a traditional family. My parents grew up in rural China in a village of 3,000. I can say that I would never intentionally harm an animal. I have a one year old tabby cat and he is my baby. I would never consider him as food. And if the circumstances were bad, I would still feed him before myself.

I utterly despise stereotypes. It's really maddening reading things online about how all Asians are "the scrum of the Earth," "evil," "barbarians," etc., etc. I was watching a Youtube video the other day. Someone had taken a video of a stray dog seemingly trying to wake up his dead pal that had gotten hit by a car in the middle of the road. The person who took the video obviously meant to capture a sad moment where an animal appears to show human-like compassion. But since the video showed people of Chinese descent off to the side on the sidewalk, all the comments were talking about how it is no surprise that no one was stopping to help the dog because it happened in China and the Chinese don't care about dogs.

I had to laugh when I stumbled upon people saying that would never happen in America and Americans would've stopped to help... What all these people forget is that animals are killed by vehicles everyday everywhere. With how reliant humans are on cars for transportation, it is an inevitabilty.

Then I saw a Youtube video taken from a news report. In a village, the Chinese villagers were honouring the loyalty of a pet dog to its owner. The dog's master had died and he was guarding the elderly man's grave, even refusing to leave it to eat, despite coaxing by the villagers. The locals were touched and decided to build him a shelter next to his owner's grave. Yet almost all the comments were derrogatory and joked about how the dog is probably just knows that they will eat him if he goes back. A bunch of them were making fun of the man's grave, without knowing anything about Chinese traditions for burial. The body is usually buried first by piling dirt on top of it and eventually a permanent tomb is built around it. The man's grave was still under construction. So they were laughing at it.

I see the same thing over and over again, any time when something about animal cruelty happening in an Asian country surfaces. Often times, they are myths that get exaggerated or isolated cases that get over generalized. People need to think for themselves more and stop jumping to conclusions about places they've never even been to. Also, they need to remember that just because they hear about animal cruelty happening more in one place does not mean that it does not exist in others.

With that being said, I genuinely believe that people should not judge other people for eating animals they find disturbing and wrong to eat because of their own cultural upbringing. As long as the animal was treated with respect while it was alive and did not suffer needlessly when it was killed for food (and the population it came from is not at risk), why is it "wrong?" A concrete rational reason, I mean, and not just a reason based on emotional sentiments.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-25-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That is really great insight Feng and I definitely appreciate it.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #45 
xShainax

Amen Feng. The news story you described made me think of Hachiko who waited for his owner every day at the train station until he died. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D
Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #46 
ao
TFK Moderator

I cried watching that trailer OAO
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #47 
Fenghuang

Thanks, guys.

Stereotypes bother me so much. I myself have spent the first fews years of my life living with my grandmother in my parent's hometown. It's a farming village. Rice paddies and dirt roads all around. Everyone knew everyone and people let their children and livestock alike roam and play freely in the street. Kind of what you think of when you picture quintessential Asian countryside. But I never met a person who had eaten a dog or cat before.

My great grandparents' generation may have been forced to. Asian countries have historically been agriculture. But when wars or epidemics destroy crops, famine results. In recent history--the 50's and 60's--an estimate of 15 million people starved to death in China. If they had eaten stray or feral animals, they would have done it to survive... Even in Europe during the World Wars, people had to resort to eating cats. They're starvation food, not the norm.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #48 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ah, I just did a research paper on the great famine. That was a tragic period... entirely manmade disaster that could have been prevented. there was a guy who wrote a book on it. It's title "tombstone".
it was a desperate time for many people. an old aunty I interviewed said she was one of the ones better off, but even then she was constantly hungry.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #49 
Fenghuang

My great grandparents came to the United States in the late 60's, so they lived through it too. Definitely a horrible tragedy.

Here's a link to one of the video about the dog guarding its owner's grave:

http://youtu.be/4PhwcJmfjbk

I think some of the comments have been deleted.

And here's a prime example of ignorant people making ignorant comments. Be warned, some are very cruel and nasty:

http://youtu.be/L1kko0_-zTs

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-25-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #50 
xShainax

If there was a famine, I would eat anything excluding people.