Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #51 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
With that being said, I genuinely believe that people should not judge other people for eating animals they find disturbing and wrong to eat because of their own cultural upbringing. As long as the animal was treated with respect while it was alive and did not suffer needlessly when it was killed for food (and the population it came from is not at risk), why is it "wrong?" A concrete rational reason, I mean, and not just a reason based on emotional sentiments.
I love this paragraph so much. I have stayed out of this until now but I just want to say that any person who judges a person because of what they eat based off of their perception of normal is wrong. I would never eat dog. It's not because I think it's wrong, it's just that I know and love quite a few dogs and I could not stomach it knowing what it is. I still don't think that eating dog is any worse then eating pork, chicken (an especially cruel industry), beef, etc. In fact, I would support humanely produced dog over factory farmed other meats. If I could be, I would be vegetarian and I support anyone who chooses to take that route. That being said, I wouldn't preach it or any thing. I have a vegan friend who I didn't even know was vegan until I brought up the fact that I had never seen him eat meat! If you want or need to be omnivorous that's fine to, both lifestyles have benefits and drawbacks. Overall, the best thing to do is base your diet around vegetables and fruits and make sure you get protein in healthy ways, vegetarian or not. And honestly... Plants don't have feelings. They lack nervous systems and the brain that makes it possible. Plants are "smarter'" then we think though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #52 
xShainax

Heck, my plants do better when I talk to them. >_> I mean...I DON'T TALK TO PLANTS
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #53 
Fenghuang

And they had family they had to feed too, not just themselves to worry about. All living things instinctively want to survive. I think if put into a desperate enough situation, we would do a lot of things that would surprise us.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #54 
Fenghuang

Woah, this thread moves too fast for me to keep up with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I love this paragraph so much. I have stayed out of this until now but I just want to say that any person who judges a person because of what they eat based off of their perception of normal is wrong. I would never eat dog. It's not because I think it's wrong, it's just that I know and love quite a few dogs and I could not stomach it knowing what it is. I still don't think that eating dog is any worse then eating pork, chicken (an especially cruel industry), beef, etc. In fact, I would support humanely produced dog over factory farmed other meats. If I could be, I would be vegetarian and I support anyone who chooses to take that route. That being said, I wouldn't preach it or any thing. I have a vegan friend who I didn't even know was vegan until I brought up the fact that I had never seen him eat meat! If you want or need to be omnivorous that's fine to, both lifestyles have benefits and drawbacks. Overall, the best thing to do is base your diet around vegetables and fruits and make sure you get protein in healthy ways, vegetarian or not. And honestly... Plants don't have feelings. They lack nervous systems and the brain that makes it possible. Plants are "smarter'" then we think though.
Thank you, Matt, I am deeply grateful to receive such high praise. I really wish more people were like you. It would be great if more people were open minded and thought about the conclusions they jump to first for a change. And that goes for all subjects, not just eating one thing and not another. If there were less judgement, hostility, and suspicion, there would be less conflict.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #55 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I very much agree with your statement Feng :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #56 
Fenghuang

<3

On a side note, I've read an article once--think it was from NatGeo--about how plants are much more sophisticated life forms than most people think. Plants are able to "communicate" with each other by chemicals they release into the air. They can identity biologically related plants and limit their own growth to allow their sibling plants enough light and nutrients and grow aggressively to block out unrelated rival plants. They can also coordinate pollen release times, emit chemicals to fool and evade predators, and parasitic plants can "hunt" other plants.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #57 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
<3

On a side note, I've read an article once--think it was from NatGeo--about how plants are much more sophisticated life forms than most people think. Plants are able to "communicate" with each other by chemicals they release into the air. They can identity biologically related plants and limit their own growth to allow their sibling plants enough light and nutrients and grow aggressively to block out unrelated rival plants. They can also coordinate pollen release times, emit chemicals to fool and evade predators, and parasitic plants can "hunt" other plants.
I love nat geo.... discovery and animal planet.

But any way, I just wish people would stop, throwing judgment around really. I all ways bring up the plant thing, when people pull the your a barbarian for eating meat thing ( I went to school with those people so not stereotyping)

Also my grandmother came from Japan, they eat puffer fish. Would I eat puffer fish, no I rather not risk being poisoned. But hey if my cousins what to try it, I will be right there going, let me know if I half to hit 911, ok.

And in some countries they eat Lion fish. In the great words of andrew Zimmerman... if it looks good eat it. Also they think orientals eat cat....... Its like, really only poor families eat cat/dog, and its because there are more cat/dog then there are other available foods.( usually in poor neighborhoods) Or it might be apart of that families traditions, no one makes fun of us or protests, when we light candles sing goofy X mass songs and go trick or treating on the holidays which those traditions belong too.

People just like to hate, what is different then them. On that note, snails are friends not food lol
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #58 
JadeAngel

Oh my goodness... step outside for a bit and look how many posts I missed! haha

People most often stereotype either because of bad personal experience with some of a group of people, or because of no experience and ignorant assumptions. Both are bad reasons to generalize.

I grew up in nowheresville, so I was never exposed to too much culture or diversity, nor heavy amounts of prejudice or stereotyping. I just jumped right into it when I moved into my husband's country at 18. "no.... not all americans are rich, leave me alone, my white skin doesn't mean I have money! I make less than you do! go away!" "Yes.. beleive it or not, some americans are capable of learning a foreign language" "no, my blonde hair does not feel like fluffy rays of the sun" "no, not all americans are arrogant and self centered" "no, we don't all hate everyone else in the world" lol

I was shocked at some of the things I was constantly asked, and one time I was in the market when a native girl in the market walked up behind me and started stroking my long blonde hair (by her clothing she probably was taking a trip here and was from a far away village and I was probably the first light skinned person that she had seen)

Then I return back to the usa with my husband, and I am much more aware of the stereotyping of latinos and the very unfriendly things said about them (as my husband is latino). So I just learned that most people in the usa really have no freak'n clue what they're talking about, and you really can't get a better perspective of the world than living outside of the usa for a few years. It really helps you understand how to be more open minded. I mean, I'm SURE there are a lot of open minded folk here, but it's one thing to say "yeah, I guess I can see how that can be acceptable somewhere else" but it's another thing to actually have experienced a culture very different from your own... to not only know, but UNDERSTAND the feeling of cultures having conflicting morals or view points on life.

And Aokashi, if there are sharks on either side of the boat.... dolphins are coming to the rescue :P so if there are pitbulls on either side..... I need a rescuer! maybe huskies? but then again, I had a husky who got attacked by a rotty and just did absolutely nothing.... so I should probably get better dogs to play the part of a dolphin, hahaha
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #59 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I would never eat a horse or a dog, many people do I don't hate them for it but I would if me and a horse and a dog ere stuck on an island with nothing to eat I would starve before eating either of them this is because I love love love dogs and horses and they have always been a big part of my life and have taught me so much.
Hate people who say they are horrible and everything for eating an animal. What is e difference between a sheep and a dog? People think it is so bad because humans have bonded with dogs and for many they mean the world and think of eating dog as eating their own little pet.
Don't judge people by what they eat I mean come on people we are better than that.
Just my two cents on this matter :D
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #60 
bniebetta

My friend told me that they kill camels and use them for food... I would never do it but hey :p
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote