Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

how much will a couple of low light plants cost me (feeler)

I'll be starting a tank soon but I getting it used from somebody so I don't know what lighting it has so I'm gonna assume it has low lighting... these are the plants I'd like to buy and have shipped to Texas

3-4 anubias
2-3 anacharis
2-3 java ferns
1-2 water wisteria
3-amazon swords (haven't found clear info on them so please help)
?- moss of some type maybe christmas or java moss

plus any other low light plants I may be forgetting! I'd just like a quote on the cost I wouldn't hold you to the exact...

NO SNAILS AT ALL!!!

Last edited by jesssan2442; 04-24-2013 at 05:08 PM.
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 
Roemgie

Ok the best thing to do is go on aquabid.com to find all your plants. To be honest I have a fairly dim light that I turn on for about an hour or so at night (more so the girls can see around before I turn off my room lights than for the plants).

Also some plants don't do well living in a tank that is just starting to be cycled. The best thing for you to do is get a sponge filter http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...=sponge+filter and cycle your tank without any plants and when your cycle is almost ready then buy the plants and add them into your tank so by the time everything is settled it will be fish ready :)

EDIT: Know that your plants will NOT live if your tank isn't cycled

Last edited by Roemgie; 04-24-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add more
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

Based on my own experience:

Anubias: $5.99 per plant at Petsmart. They came in the little plastic tubes. I found a few different types.

Anacharis: I got a bunch from a local store for $3, but I've heard some places would even give them away for free if you buy other stuff because they have so much of it.

Java fern: Same deal as the anubias. I think Petsmart is pricer than local stores and their plants are smaller too. But at least they grow faster than anubias and you will end up with more plants in no time.

Water wisteria: $3.50 for a decent size plant, if I remember correctly. Got it the same place I got the anacharis. But that store offers better prices if you buy a few, rather than just a single plant. It was $13 for three.

Java moss: I hadn't been able to find this stuff in my area, so I don't know.

Hope that helps. I imagine you would be able to find even better deals online, but I don't have that option, so I'm stuck paying the store prices.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-24-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #4 
justmel

I can't say a lot about plants at all as I'm still learning myself, but when I asked my lps about java moss they just gave me a ton of it. They have it growing in their stock tanks and don't sell it. The manager I talked to knew I was wanting to set up a spawning tank and I wanted the moss for that, they are also hoping to get some of my bettas to sell, so that may be why he gave it to me. Still, there's no harm in asking about it, is there?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Check out mikeswetpets on Aquabid.com he has some great plants at good prices and will combine to save on shipping costs. He also dips for snails.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #6 
WolfHhowling

Thatpetplace.com has good plants shipping 2 day is 13.99 on your whole order and the plants there are under 3 bucks for most of what you want. Plus you can find hornwort and water sprite there as well as a few thousand exotics with a care sheet.

I get all my plants there. However I think I might pick up a banana lilly the next time I go to pet co.
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 
Aluka

Go to plantedtank.net, their sale section has alot of plant people selling their trimmings and runners. You can get a bunch of stems for about 20 bucks. You'll save at least 50% compare with buying from a store.

The down side is that they are trimmings and will take a week or two to get taller and grow roots.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote