Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #11 
lotusflwr

My Hydor Theo just almost cooked my poor betta, so I was searching the board for heater recommendations when I came across this thread.

I've had the Hydor Theo 25W for a little over a year. I retired it to hospital tank duty when I upgraded my betta to a 5 gallon tank. Since my betta is currently fighting some fin rot, I set him up with his old heater. Now, I'm lucky he isn't already dead because of it.

I checked on him before bed and found his tank at 92 degrees! What's really bad is that the heater was set as far down as it goes, 2 dots below 71. I couldn't set it to a temperature anymore because over the course of the year I've had it, the temperature kept drifting upwards. I figured it was just a calibration issue, but now apparently it just stays on all the time no matter what the water temperature. Even after I unplugged it for a few minutes, it came on as soon as I plugged it back in!

It's now going in the trash. Hopefully my betta won't be following it! :( I remember reading Amazon reviews where some people had similar problems with it, and sure enough when I went to look for heaters just now, I came across similar cautionary tales. I wish I had not ignored them when I originally bought my heater, but at the time it seemed worse to not have a heater I could set.

I have an Eheim Jager aquarium heater in my betta's main tank, and it has been rock-solid for the 6 months I've had it, plus it can be manually calibrated.

In my big fish tank, I've had a 300W Marineland VisiTherm that's been chugging along for about 10 years now... I plan on replacing it with an Eheim Jager soon, though, since it's getting pretty worn out.

Unfortunately, the smallest Eheim Jager heater is the 25W, and it still quite large, too big for my 1.5g hospital tank... it just barely fits vertically in my 5 gallon.

I would seriously caution anyone about getting a Hydor Theo, or to keep a very close eye on it if you already use one.

Last edited by lotusflwr; 04-25-2013 at 11:16 PM.
lotusflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #12 
Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflwr View Post
My Hydor Theo just almost cooked my poor betta, so I was searching the board for heater recommendations when I came across this thread.

I've had the Hydor Theo 25W for a little over a year. I retired it to hospital tank duty when I upgraded my betta to a 5 gallon tank. Since my betta is currently fighting some fin rot, I set him up with his old heater. Now, I'm lucky he isn't already dead because of it.

I checked on him before bed and found his tank at 92 degrees! What's really bad is that the heater was set as far down as it goes, 2 dots below 71. I couldn't set it to a temperature anymore because over the course of the year I've had it, the temperature kept drifting upwards. I figured it was just a calibration issue, but now apparently it just stays on all the time no matter what the water temperature. Even after I unplugged it for a few minutes, it came on as soon as I plugged it back in!

It's now going in the trash. Hopefully my betta won't be following it! :( I remember reading Amazon reviews where some people had similar problems with it, and sure enough when I went to look for heaters just now, I came across similar cautionary tales. I wish I had not ignored them when I originally bought my heater, but at the time it seemed worse to not have a heater I could set.

I have an Eheim Jager aquarium heater in my betta's main tank, and it has been rock-solid for the 6 months I've had it, plus it can be manually calibrated.

In my big fish tank, I've had a 300W Marineland VisiTherm that's been chugging along for about 10 years now... I plan on replacing it with an Eheim Jager soon, though, since it's getting pretty worn out.

Unfortunately, the smallest Eheim Jager heater is the 25W, and it still quite large, too big for my 1.5g hospital tank... it just barely fits vertically in my 5 gallon.

I would seriously caution anyone about getting a Hydor Theo, or to keep a very close eye on it if you already use one.
Thanks for the warning! Since I've already ordered it, so I'll just make sure to keep a close eye on it to see if it's having any issues. If so I'll return it and purchase a different heater.
Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #13 
lotusflwr

It is so frustrating trying to find a good heater for small tanks. :( I've spent the last 2 hours searching for a solid adjustable heater to replace the Hydor Theo in my 1.5 gallon hospital tank, but there aren't many other options!

It looks like I might be buying a heater controller for my hospital tank instead... I saw one on Amazon for about $30 -- the Finnex Max-300 Digital Aquarium Heater Controller. I need to research it a bit more, but it does sound promising. I could probably keep the Hydor Theo and just plug it into the heater controller, because the controller would shut it off or turn it on as it monitored the temperature with its own probe.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #14 
carbonxxkidd

I hate to say it but I think you need to be careful with any heater and make sure you check the temp everyday. Any heater is capable of malfunctioning! Hope your betta is okay lotus!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #15 
lotusflwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
I hate to say it but I think you need to be careful with any heater and make sure you check the temp everyday. Any heater is capable of malfunctioning! Hope your betta is okay lotus!
Very true. I had just checked him about 3 hours earlier, and the temperature was fine then, so when I saw how high the temp went, I did a triple take, thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I think I'll be looking into getting some kind of digital aquarium thermometer with temperature alarms for all of my tanks from now on. :\
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #16 
ryancalif

Another vote for the EHEIM Jager. Very solid heater.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #17 
Starfish1

The hydor theo's have a big orange light so if you're at home you can kinda see if it's been on for awhile. They only click on for a minute or two at a time so you can kinda tell? But only if you're in the room I guess. I hope this doesn't happen to me because I have 6 of them. Maybe I should look into a temperature controller.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

I don't know i think even best recommended heaters can malfunction. I have bettas for 7 years and i had 3 heaters malfunctioned. But then i had the same kind that working for long time. I don't use them all year around, only when my room below 75* though.
Also with new heaters always test it in a bucked of the water for about 24 hrs before putting it in the tank. Let's you find out if it will hold a decent themp , or if it is defective. I saw a few post when new heater leached fluid in the tank.
I am kind of afraid and check my heaters daily before i go to woks in the morning and before i go sleep and probably a 100% times a day lol No i am not but about 3 times a day to make sure it good.
Well people on the forum recommending:
Penn Plax Cascade 25w
Hagen Elite Mini Submersible 25w
Hydor Theo 25w
Marineland Visitherm 25w

Most of, if not all of these heaters have to be ordered online or found in a local fish shop. Petsmart and Petco generally don't carry them. Good places to order are www.amazon.com and www.drsfostersmith.com
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #19 
Nook

The Hydor Theo I bought has been working pretty well so far. I'm glad that I've finally found a heater! Thanks for all of the help, guys!
Nook is offline   Reply With Quote