Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #1 
Viola

So new I don't even have any fish, yet!

C: Hello~ My name is Violet, but I go by Viola.
I've become interested in betta fish for the past two or three months, now. Slowly putting things together so that I can actually buy fish in May or June.
C: I'm in my early 20's, college student, full time employee. And I have two cats.

Right now I'm trying to fight the urge to attempt a NPT. Right now I have a 10g tank set up with some gravel, filter, and a few live plants. (Some anubias that petco didn't specify, as well as another type of plant I don't remember the name of) Will be purchasing an API master testing kit after the first few days of May (Payday~) so I can see where my tank is at. I've had it up and running since the end of March, I believe.

If I decide to go the NPT route, I'd like it to be heavily planted, so that I can (try to) have a male betta, 5 glowlight tetra, 2 red cherry shrimp, and 2 ramshorn snails. (I am not knowledgeable on shrimp or snails, but I've been trying to learn about how to balance stocking my tank, as well as having enough live plants for everyone to be happy.

8I Does that sound good? Or? No?

@_@ I go to petco about once a week just to stare and check out the bettas.
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello Viola and welcome to the forum. Your plan sounds good to me but I have to say I do not know much about the Glow light Tetra. I wish you the best of luck and when you get your Betta we want to see pictures. Its going to be so exciting for you when your get your Betta they are amazing little fish !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #3 
Viola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hello Viola and welcome to the forum. Your plan sounds good to me but I have to say I do not know much about the Glow light Tetra. I wish you the best of luck and when you get your Betta we want to see pictures. Its going to be so exciting for you when your get your Betta they are amazing little fish !
C: Thank you for the welcome. If I had a microsd card adapter, I'd already be showing off the in-progress tank. Hoping to get one, soon. n_n

From what I've seen on the forum and from what I've read elsewhere, glowlight tetras seem to be slightly smaller than neons, and seem to be non-aggressive. (Less chance at gettin' some fin nippers)

@_@ I wish the next few days could fly by, so I can start purchasing stuff, again.

:I The lps doesn't have much. Our petco is pretty drab. So I'm looking at online purchasing (of plants and tank needs). Like, my tank came with an LED set up, so I need to ditch that, buy a new hood, and some actual lights. (Although that bit I am a little confused about. incandescent vs fluorescent?? )
Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #4 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
C: Thank you for the welcome. If I had a microsd card adapter, I'd already be showing off the in-progress tank. Hoping to get one, soon. n_n

From what I've seen on the forum and from what I've read elsewhere, glowlight tetras seem to be slightly smaller than neons, and seem to be non-aggressive. (Less chance at gettin' some fin nippers)

@_@ I wish the next few days could fly by, so I can start purchasing stuff, again.

:I The lps doesn't have much. Our petco is pretty drab. So I'm looking at online purchasing (of plants and tank needs). Like, my tank came with an LED set up, so I need to ditch that, buy a new hood, and some actual lights. (Although that bit I am a little confused about. incandescent vs fluorescent?? )
You half to watch, some betta's might think the glows are food not friends...... which is why the rule of thumb is, if its small enough to fit its going down.
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #5 
Nibblez

Welcome, that sounds like a great plan, working on my first NPT as well, just couldnt resist and hold myself back. :)
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #6 
homegrown terror

careful with the ramshorns, two RH's can quickly become two hundred! you might be better off with one apple (mystery) snail than two RH's since even if you happen to get a pregnant female, their egg clusters are very big and noticable, and you can remove them easily to either dispose of or hatch in a different tank without worrying of the babies polluting your water with their poo.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Only one ramshorn! Do not make my mistake! Otherwise, it sounds like a very good plan. Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you are doing all your research in advance! You do need a heater though. Your future betta will be very happy and healthy!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #8 
Viola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Only one ramshorn! Do not make my mistake! Otherwise, it sounds like a very good plan. Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you are doing all your research in advance! You do need a heater though. Your future betta will be very happy and healthy!
Ah! I forgot about them reproducing!
One Ramshorn will be enough to keep my tank in check? (I guess with the shrimp, they'll keep it balanced?)

C: I have a heater. It's pretty junky, though. Non-adjustable. (It came with my aquarium kit. some tetra-brand one. I've already got my eye on this beaut "Aqueon Pro Heater Submersible Aquarium Heater", at the selected gallon range for my tank. n_n )

The hardest part will be finding all the plants I need. Even up in St. Louis, any fish store they have, they seem to focus on salt water aquariums and coral, rather than freshwater and freshwater plants. :c eBay it is, then.

n_n Thank you everyone for the advice and the welcome!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Viola

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're well on your way to having a beautiful tank.

I agree that the chain stores don't really have much in the way of plants - especially if you want to heavily plant a tank. I've always bought online or through the classifieds here on the forum.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #10 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Ah! I forgot about them reproducing!
One Ramshorn will be enough to keep my tank in check? (I guess with the shrimp, they'll keep it balanced?)

C: I have a heater. It's pretty junky, though. Non-adjustable. (It came with my aquarium kit. some tetra-brand one. I've already got my eye on this beaut "Aqueon Pro Heater Submersible Aquarium Heater", at the selected gallon range for my tank. n_n )

The hardest part will be finding all the plants I need. Even up in St. Louis, any fish store they have, they seem to focus on salt water aquariums and coral, rather than freshwater and freshwater plants. :c eBay it is, then.

n_n Thank you everyone for the advice and the welcome!
you can find the "big five" for betta planting (java fern, water wisteria, anacharis, amazon sword and anubias) in most pet stores (even petco has them) those should be good as far as a "backbone" for your planted tank, since they're beautiful, bettas enjoy them, and they're ridiculously hard to kill.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote