Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #1 
Punki

Old man and Electra spawn log~

I was gonig to wait a full week but 5 days after the failed attempt Electra still remained barred and huge, and oldman was a bubblenesting fool. Since weve had tons of rain i LOADED them with larvae three times a day and did daily water changes all 5 days, i felt it would be okay to go ahead and give it a try day before yesterday, so at around 2pm on the 15th i introduced her and him into their 10 gallon heavily planted breeding tank, at about 6pm she was still being really submissive and even dropped an egg or two, and he had a nice nest going so i released her, after the initial chasing ended (a couple of hours) the flirting began, and that night i stayed up ALL night on the couch watching like a hawk but never once running up to interrupt or disturb them. Hed build, then find her in the plants and flare, if she flared back and wiggled hed be content and go back to his nest, shed sometimes go back with him, checking out his work, but when she wasnt satisfied shed swim back to her plants and hed get mad and nip her/chase her, but eventually it was too her liking, after being up staring at the aquarium forb a full 24 hours they started spawning, they couldnt get it right for quite a while and hed get mad, but eventually the eggs started flowing and being eaten, and THEN the eggs were being put into the nest by him and her, it was very sweet to see :) but im glad i stayed up because after about 3 hours of spawning suddenly she grabbed his tail and he frantically swam the whole tank, dragging her behind him and after that he was mad, and she was biting at him/he started biting at her and neither ran, so i got her out right then and after checking the tank over he started tending to the eggs. Now tonight, 30 hours later hes moved his wole nest under a floating plant and if i watch closely the eggs wiggle so ill get some hatches tonight i think! So far hes being a good dad, i havent seen him eat many eggs and the ones he did eat looked a bit fuzzy today, im assuming thats why he moved the rest across the tank. Poor guys hungry though, i get the wiggle begging dance when i walk by. Soon, old man soon! Anyways heres a pic of daddy tending to the nest, if you look closely you can see the eggs :D
Ive got my inforsia ready to go along with some in the tank already from the two snails i put in today and all the plants ive had in. Ill probobly let them feed/put that in for the first week then move onto bbs. Really excited to have little baby oldmans/electras, and so proud of him for being an old petstore veiltail and still being a great daddy! Electra is being spoiled rotten since shes got a few bitten fins but shes fine and not eggy lol, ive never seen her so thin :P ill update this often with pics as soon as i can capture them :)

Last edited by Punki; 07-17-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Congratulations to Electra and Old Man, they're about to be parents! Although I know I shouldn't, I couldn't help but laugh at the image of Old Man dragging a very determined Electra along behind him. She's a feisty one, all right.

And congratulations, Punki, you did it! You successfully sat back and let them spawn. You're going to be a betta mom soon!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 
Punki

when she got his tail i had such a rush of emotions, i was shocked, scared of her consequences of randomly doing such a thing in the middle of their sexytimes, and alittle amused because he was a bit rough and scary, and shes about as long as his TAIL, needless to say she did 0 damage to his tail even though she got dragged with the tip of it in her mouth across the tank XD he was like
"lalala putting the children eggys in my nest lalala"
and she was paralyzed and when her senses came back her face was next to his tail so it caught her eye flowing about and NIP then she held on as he frantically dragged her, and she looked like a fish on a hook, flopping around, but forgetting to let go XDDD needless to say that ended spawning XD
Thanks, i feel really accomplished to research, put it all together, and it work :D Im really excited to see the little ones swim, eat, explore and play :)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #4 
Punki

And just after typing that^ i go look and hes repeatedly spitting an egg into the nest that keeps falling and then i see the egg wiggle back up on its own, i have a FRY!! AWW! YAY! :D
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Soo awesome! A little Old Man or Electra! It's so great they hatch quickly, not like having to wait months for kittens or something like that.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #6 
Punki

Yes :) i have the tank at a steady 82 degrees which made them hatch asap
XD the fry lands on his head lmao

Last edited by Punki; 07-17-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #7 
Sakura8

You definitely did your research and a very thorough job of it, too. You did great, Punki, just like an old pro at this.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #8 
Punki

Thanks, now the real fun begins, after they all hatch and freeswim its up to me XD
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #9 
Sakura8

You can do it. But it is really funny how Old Man flared at the camera. He's got to protect his kids from the paparazzi.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #10 
Punki

Hes always had a thing about the camera, as soon as he sees it he starts modeling, but now hes just modeling with a fry on his head loooking silly XD