Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #1 
mischievouscat

Species & Filtration in a 5.5

I've been researching as I wait for my tank to cycle, and I've got a couple questions about betta fish.

First of all, my tank has a filter already (Aqueon PowerFilter 10). It's a rather current-y filter, though. I know that bettas prefer gentler waters, but would they be okay with this filter?
If not, what would be my options? Block the current? Get a different filter?

Also, what hardy species work well with male bettas? And how many in a 5.5 gallon tank?

Sorry if I'm asking silly questions. I'm quite a new to this.
mischievouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

I use a Whisper 10 HOB in my 5 gallon, and the flow is adjustable so I set it pretty low. As for other fish, you're kind of limited to a snail or some shrimp since in that size tank a betta will see that other fish and go "Hey, this is my space"...stocking bettas with other fish only can work if you have a 10 gallon or bigger and even then it gets kind iffy, those bettas are kinda selfish :)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #3 
Kim

If you find that the filter is too powerful I would try an azoo palm filter. They say that they are for a maximum of 5 gallons, but mine works fine in my 5.5 gallon betta tank. It does not make too much current, and it is cheap at only around 8 dollars. My betta still managed to come precariously close to getting his fins sucked in, so I cut a square piece of sponge, hollowed it out, and put it over the bottom of the intake tube. There is never much debris in my tank, so this is not a problem. As for tank mates, I agree with what the previous post said. Anything else may make a betta too territorial in a tank that size.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #4 
mischievouscat

Do my options change if I choose a female betta? I've read that they're more community-compatible than the males.

Also, what are your opinions on putting more than one female together? There seem to be a number of different takes on this.
mischievouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #5 
okiemavis

Females can be kept together, but they really need to be kept in groups to help spread out aggression. You'd only be able to fit 2 females in that tank, which would be a recipe for disaster.

For a 5.5 gallon tank I'd recommend adding shrimp or snails. There aren't really any fish small enough to fit in with the betta who isn't meant to be in a group.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #6 
Kim

Females are generally less aggressive, but I agree with the previous post. This tank is probably too small to house more than one betta. Also, never put a male and a female betta together unless you are going to breed them, and you are very experienced. Hope this helps :D .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote