Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Sponge filter, first timer! :)

Made my first sponge filter the other day for my sorority, and dang, I am never buying another HOB again. ;)

It is *awesome*. Very low flow, very gentle, and so, so cheap. I have a multitude of air pumps and stones from fishkeeping many years ago, and now I have a use for them. ;)

The girls will swim right over and play around it, never being bothered a bit by the outflow, and I haven't even turned down the bubble volume with the adjuster. :)

Waterdog, I'm a believer. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #2 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Made my first sponge filter the other day for my sorority, and dang, I am never buying another HOB again. ;)

It is *awesome*. Very low flow, very gentle, and so, so cheap. I have a multitude of air pumps and stones from fishkeeping many years ago, and now I have a use for them. ;)

The girls will swim right over and play around it, never being bothered a bit by the outflow, and I haven't even turned down the bubble volume with the adjuster. :)

Waterdog, I'm a believer. ;)
You built one? I've always gotten these http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...=sponge+filter

BUT I am glad you have converted to the best filtration system out there!! Totally the easiest filter to cycle a tank and it actually does amazing wonders!!

I keep trying to tell people that sponge filters really are the best out there but I guess the more expensive something is the more value people put on it :/
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

Yeah, I followed some directions I found...somewhere...for building one.

I have, literally, fifteen or so bubblers sitting around, along with air stones, connectors and tubing...it just seemed silly not to use them to build one. I just got some car wash sponges for a buck, and some 1" diameter plastic tubing for the outflow for another $7. That will easily provide enough materials to make filters for all my tanks, and I've spent less than ten dollars. I couldn't turn that deal down. ;)

I think I'm going to convert all my tanks over in the next couple of weeks. The HOBs are a pain to keep sponged, and I like the idea of having more oxygen in my water both for my fish and for my plants with the sponge filter. By sponging the living crap out of the HOB's, the water flow is almost non-existant...which means that my water oxygen levels cannot possibly be very high...which has got to be harder on my fishies. I may end up having to re-cycle some tanks, but I'll take care of that without fuss if it means my guys have more dissolved oxygen floating around from their new sponge filters. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #4 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Yeah, I followed some directions I found...somewhere...for building one.

I have, literally, fifteen or so bubblers sitting around, along with air stones, connectors and tubing...it just seemed silly not to use them to build one. I just got some car wash sponges for a buck, and some 1" diameter plastic tubing for the outflow for another $7. That will easily provide enough materials to make filters for all my tanks, and I've spent less than ten dollars. I couldn't turn that deal down. ;)

I think I'm going to convert all my tanks over in the next couple of weeks. The HOBs are a pain to keep sponged, and I like the idea of having more oxygen in my water both for my fish and for my plants with the sponge filter. By sponging the living crap out of the HOB's, the water flow is almost non-existant...which means that my water oxygen levels cannot possibly be very high...which has got to be harder on my fishies. I may end up having to re-cycle some tanks, but I'll take care of that without fuss if it means my guys have more dissolved oxygen floating around from their new sponge filters. :)

I'll admit I'd prefer to buy one for 7 dollars than make one so all the power to you!! And i know with those that are sold the center piece is hallow and the top of that has a little hole. The idea is to put a little piece of tubing inside and then the actually connection to the bubbler on the top and the air 'pulls' water through and always it to cycle and blah blah lol

BUT I was told that before you pull out all of your other filters its best to let the Sponge filter have a month before completely removing your HOB filter. But I am so glad that you have converted!!
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

I have a sponge plus HOB for my soriety. If it weren't for the snails and clown plecos (that like the water flow) I would remove the HOB.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote