Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #11 
Draug Isilme

(to moneymitch's post) Okay, I thought so >.>... I'd also like to add (if I recall correctly) that since the plants tend to eat up the nutrients in the tank, your nitrates/trites/amonia should also go down to 0ppm and therefore not have a reading.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #12 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I think the issue is not about ammonia and nitrite but the fact that nitrate us the last by product of the nitrogen cycle that will build up and needs to be removed by WC And maybe chemically. Plants will not be efficiently remove rates as it would with ammonia and rites no matter how densely planted, rates will ultimately build up to a point that needs to be removed.
I thought since the plants took up the things that nitrates feed off of and trates are a living bacteria, the plants would eventually starve the nitrates and eventually cause it to read 0ppm?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #13 
MoneyMitch

correct, if you have a sufficient amount of plants then you will get 0 readings across the board except rates. my tank usually sits around 10-20ppm rates depending how long its been since last w/c

0 rates is a bad thing means the plants don't have enough food to grow.
MoneyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #14 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMitch View Post
correct, if you have a sufficient amount of plants then you will get 0 readings across the board except rates. my tank usually sits around 10-20ppm rates depending how long its been since last w/c

0 rates is a bad thing means the plants don't have enough food to grow.
Hahhah, I like that you just brought that up 'cause I went through some more digging and actually came across a few threads that said more older/established tanks with plants will still have readings of nitrates xD From what I got, it seemed the plants still help keep nitrates in check but obviously since it's a closed ecosystem that's still a variable which needs an eye kept on it... anyway, I'm sorry I feel like I'm drifting from the original reason for this post... I'll stop now
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #15 
MoneyMitch

no need, threads will evolve as they progress. I do notice if I skip a waterchange in my tank my rates do seem to get a little towards the high side 30ppm+ but I don't use any co2 and dose flourish comp x2 a week and couldn't tell you the last time I vacd my gravel. (I don't vac to let the organics breakdown to produce natural co2)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #16 
carbonxxkidd

My tank consistently has nitrates 20-40ppm according to the API Test kit. I use the gravel vac weekly on a 50% WC and clean my canister filter out about once a month. I have lot of plants, including giant hygro which was marketed to me to be a "nitrate buster." It's doing well (as are all of my other plants), but still have higher nitrates. My fish are fine though and I'm not worried. My mom has nitates off the charts in her tank and her angelfish spawn every two weeks...I don't think nitrates are that much of an issue compared to nitrItes and ammonia...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #17 
DefStatic

Right, Nitrates are not a problem like Ammonia and Nitrites. But anything over 40 is getting on the bad side.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #18 
MoneyMitch

unchecked nitrates can cause issues with fish, while some will be fine in some systems they wont be so fine in other systems. each system is unique. in the wild fish do not encounter any rates rites or ammonia at all so in theory any of this in in our tank isn't "good" for them. those are some high nitrates though 40pp,? do u clean your filter? how much are you feeding? what are the nitrates out of your tap.

you have to becarefull as nitrates that get to high can start a cyano outbreak or algae outbreak.