View Poll Results: Should Betta Fish be alone or used to make community tanks
Bettas should live alone 38 84.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #1 
Trunkzdbz

Cool 5 Gallon Betta Community Aquarium

Hi everyone, I have a 5 gallon aquarium that I turned into a Betta Siamese fighting fish community tank. I have 4 female Bettas, 1 Male red Veiltail Betta, 2 Gold Mystery snails, 1 Pleco/Catfish/Suckerfish, and 8 Banana plants. I have pink gravel with Blue and white LED lighting. I also have an air pump with bubble stone for optimum water aeration, along with a filter which has beneficial bacteria continuously recycled into the water while also keeping the water crystal clear. I have put well over $300 into my 5 gallon aquarium, I have Instant Ocean marine salt which I know is for salt water aquariums but has so many beneficial minerals my Bettas really need. I add very little about one tablespoon to the 5 gallons each time I cycle my tank which is 3-4 weeks by the way, I make sure not to add to much because I do not want my freshwater tropical aquarium turning into a salt water aquarium, also my PlecoCatfish can not sustain large amounts of salt in his system. I add a little conditioner to the water each cycling just the right amount and the de-stresser drops to keep my Bettas stress free and relaxed, I have a wonderful 5 watt Colbolt heater which I have to turn off after a couple days because my thermometer reaches 80 % and that's as warm as the water can be 80% or 82% max. I feed my fishy friends dry blood worms they love them. That's it so far not much else I wan't to do to the tank except maybe buy some ghost shrimp and Africa Dwarf Frogs.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #2 
Polkadot

Your tank sounds very nice but I'm not sure you should keep a male betta with females?,also it sounds like alot of fish in a 5 gallon tank?

I voted that Bettas should be alone.I wish they could be together without ANY possibility of them hurting each other,as I would love it if my little boys could be together in a big tank,but unfortunately they cannot.I know alot of people here have terrific & successful female sororities,but even if I had a female betta I would keep her by herself.I would just be too nervous that something could happen one day.But that is all just my own opinion.I think they are very happy in their own little pond kingdoms.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #3 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 5 gallon aquarium that I turned into a Betta Siamese fighting fish community tank. I have 4 female Bettas, 1 Male red Veiltail Betta, 2 Gold Mystery snails, 1 Pleco/Catfish/Suckerfish, and 8 Banana plants.
A 5 gallon should only hold 2 bettas divided.. having that many fish in that size of an aquarium will cause trouble. May not be today, nor tomorrow, but it WILL cause deaths. Fish can feel "trapped" when they are in smaller tanks with other fish, and become aggressive due to that.
Also consider the bio for that size of a tank, there will be too much for it and it can easily cause deadly spikes with the chemistry.
Males and females should NOT be housed together unless divided. The male will most likely be the first to be killed (females are just as aggressive as males, but since not territorial we can house them together in the proper conditions.
That many females need 10 gallons minimum as they have a hierarchy and will chase/fight off and on and they need space to hide.
Depending upon the species of the pleco/catfish/suckerfish, the tank is too small. The smaller of the species of plecos gets around 4". Some species need well established tanks with tons of live plants, some need a group of them, they all need wood.
2 snails will soon end up in hundreds. If that 5 gallon was properly stocked with 1 betta or 2 divided, only 1 snail would be advised as they produce a ton of waste and ammonia.
With that many fish in such a small tank you are definitely going to have some deaths within a short time.
Please remove the females and place them in the correct 10g size tank, the pleco will depend on the type - if it's the common brown one you get at the store you are looking at 20g+ for it.
Remove one of the snails before you are infested.. that tank cannot hold what it currently has, any more animals, especially snails, will make the deaths that much more quicker.

I have pink gravel with Blue and white LED lighting. I also have an air pump with bubble stone for optimum water aeration, along with a filter which has beneficial bacteria continuously recycled into the water while also keeping the water crystal clear.
You will need to do extra water changes until you are able to get the proper set ups for these fish - two 50% water changes a week with siphoning of the gravel is recommended. Make sure the air stone doesn't cause current at the surface of the water - the bettas need the surface to be as still as possible to make getting air easier for them. Bettas do not need an airstone as they do not breathe through their gills.

I have put well over $300 into my 5 gallon aquarium, I have Instant Ocean marine salt which I know is for salt water aquariums but has so many beneficial minerals my Bettas really need. I add very little about one tablespoon to the 5 gallons each time I cycle my tank which is 3-4 weeks by the way, I make sure not to add to much because I do not want my freshwater tropical aquarium turning into a salt water aquarium, also my PlecoCatfish can not sustain large amounts of salt in his system.
Salt is not good for bettas. It is recommended to NOT use it on a long term basis. These are fresh water, and even a little bit of salt can and will cause liver/kidney failures in time. It's okay for certain species of fish, but not bettas nor the pleco, and especially not for the snails. There is no health benefits gained by using it for all of those fish, but rather instead health risks that lead to death.
You don't recycle the tank... it should cycle once and stay cycled. An unstable cycle will cause death. If you are meaning water changes you MUST do weekly water changes. Period. Especially since you have way too many animals for that size of a tank. By waiting so long inbetween water changes you are risking the life of your fish whenever you do do a water change.. going a long time between them, and then doing a good sized one will cause the chemistry to suddenly change and can put them in shock.

I add a little conditioner to the water each cycling just the right amount and the de-stresser drops to keep my Bettas stress free and relaxed, I have a wonderful 5 watt Colbolt heater which I have to turn off after a couple days because my thermometer reaches 80 % and that's as warm as the water can be 80% or 82% max.
Make sure to dose the aquarium for FULL volume each water change of the conditioner.
5 watts is really low.. you must live in a tropical climate. Make sure there isn't too much fluctuation in the temperature, as that can cause shock as well.

I feed my fishy friends dry blood worms they love them. That's it so far not much else I wan't to do to the tank except maybe buy some ghost shrimp and Africa Dwarf Frogs.
Freeze dried only is not a good diet - it's basically potato chips of the fish world. It has high protein, but lacks everything else. They all need a better diet - pellets, live and frozen food for the bettas.
Meat and veggies pellets for the pleco and snails.

Do NOT get any shrimp nor frogs for that tank. For the safety and health of your fish, please consider moving the females to the proper 10g and the pleco to a larger tank and leave the male by himself.

How long have you had this set up?

I'm not trying to be mean, but in my 20 years of experience I can tell you this set up is not a safe or humane one. You spent so much money on a tank, but it seems you did no research to what to keep in it, and how to keep them properly. :(

As for the poll, I did not vote because no answer there is a correct one - bettas are fine alone, and can live in a community (with other fish, not bettas) if that particular betta is docile enough, and only sometimes will some female bettas be fine together, NEVER males with females. There is no "should" ..

Last edited by Myates; 04-25-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #4 
Briz

Pretty much everything Myates said. Just to state the first things that came to my mind reading this, DON'T get any more animals for the tank, it's already way too many. Plecos and snails produce a LOT more waste than bettas. The freeze-dried only food is also not good at all.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there and welcome to the forums! I highly suggest you research fish/inverts/and other creatures before adding them to your tank, and do a full research. Anything we say on here is really only to help you and your lovely fishie friends out! We always want the best for our fish and I think joining this community was definitely a good choice!

Myates has pretty much covered it all and please ask us any questions you have! If we tell you that something isn't right or that you need to get rid of some fish because your tank is overstocked, please listen to us! We're not trying to be parents or anything, but we don't want your fishies to die! Even if they seem like they are doing well! I hope you can learn a lot from us and enjoy your time on here :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #6 
Wildbetta

Welcome to the forum!! This is a wonderful place to learn and talk about your bettas!

Your tank is WAY to small for all the fish you have in there. One betta(2 if divided) is stocking limit for such a small tank. You might get away with one betta and one snail but nothing else. Male and female bettas should always be separated unless breeding and even then only for the process and then back to separate tanks. I am sorry to say that your tank right now is a recipe for disaster. Plecos (even the smaller ones) should live in a 20 gallon minimum because of the waste output. If you were to have gotten a common pleco -- then your best bet would be to return it. Those monsters get 2+ feet long and really need a pond when full grown. You really need a better diet. Freeze dried anything is not really good for bettas because it tends to promote bloating. Plus the pleco normally will need veggie based food depending on what type it is and could get very sick with just a protien diet plus it does need some wood to rasp on. A 5 watt heater, I do not believe will be able to reliably heat a 5 gallon and you show that it doesn't by that fact that you have to turn it on and off. I am sorry that you spent so much on the setup of your tank but it really is not a good situation for any of the fish involved.

PLEASE do not add anything else to this way overstocked tank!! Please remove the females to a better setup as well as the pleco and snails.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #7 
Myates

They are much nicer in how they talk than I am sometimes :) I only say what I say to help.. I tend to just get straight to the point.

We've all made mistakes when we started fish keeping.. but best to do research, as mentioned above, when keeping an animal. Many people don't regard fish as much of a pet, but they require certain care... similar to keeping reptiles and other exotic type of pets. Cats, dogs, and even rodents are fairly simple in their care and requirements. Fish need to be more specific on many fronts. Bettas don't live in puddles, they live in miles of water.. females don't have a set territory and swim around all over so they need the space. A male's territory is roughly 3'x3' - females don't live with males, usually when not in breeding mode the males would chase off the females. But since they are in a confined space, the females will feel threatened and will gang up on the male.
We just want you to have a safe, healthy home for your pets.. we aren't ones who nitpick and believe everyone has to go crazy nuts for their fish. Just keeping them in their simple requirements is good. :)

For a cheap tank.. Walmart sells 10 gallons with a filter for $30, a proper heater for both tanks runs about $10-15 there as well. No need to spend hundreds on a tank.. twice that size with decorations will cost less than $50.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #8 
Wildbetta

Very well said Myates!

Oh and I didn't vote in the poll because I didn't really agree with any particular choice.

Last edited by Wildbetta; 04-25-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Needed to add a statement.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #9 
Myates

lol thanks :) I can be too blunt sometimes, hope I don't come off as rude lol
Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #10 
Talen

I have to agree with everyone with what their saying. 5 gallon is way toooooooo small. Aside from Cories and Otos, even then 5 is too small for cories who need to be in a group of at least two or three at the smallest. Plecos and larger catfish need at least 30+ all depending on the catfish/pleco.

I got a baby pleco when he was about an inch long, kept him in a 10 gallon until he got bigger and he out grew that tank in about two months. And he was one of the slower growing ones.
Talen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium