View Poll Results: Should Betta Fish be alone or used to make community tanks
Bettas should live alone 38 84.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #91 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay cool! And basically you only cycle once (unless you really mess up the cycle by taking the tank down or adding in too many fishies). This will be really essential when you get your 30 gallon since it's a much bigger tank and bigger things can happen to it! I suggest you do some full reading on the Cycle though and the different ways to cycle your tank.

There are ways you can cycle with your fish in the tank (but only a few, for a 30 you could use 3-4 small fish to cycle it) or you can do it without your fish. You would have to find a source of ammonia to start it though, so you can put in a tiny pinch of ground up flakes in the tank every other day to give the bacteria some food. And then you continue doing that until the month and a half are up and when you test to see that you have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates.

Oh also, I'm sure you don't want to part with any of your fish, but if the case comes up and you need to get rid of a fish, don't flush it or do anything like that. If you have a PetCo near you, you can bring the fish in and they will adopt it for you. You don't get any money, but it helps you and saves you the trouble of finding a new home for your fish.

With that, hows everyone doing so far?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #92 
Sena Hansler

Betta fish can be in community tanks but only under certain circumstances. Males tend to get their fins nipped, and females need to be in groups of 4 or more to ensure less drama in the tank. A single female betta may also be in a community tank, but may also face the same or similar hardships as a single male in a community tank.

Plecos are dangerous to have with any small fish. If they lack food to eat, they eat the slime coat off of the fish. The fish will more than likely die from it. Another fun fact about plecos... They crap a lot. One I had gotten, was 8 inches and had been smushed in a 10 gallon tank because the lady assumed the plecos eat crap. They don't. They may eat algae and leftover food, but never fish poop. So, they contribute to ammonia.

Ammonia... Think of ammonia like this: You are told to swim in a pool. Someone adds pure ammonia to the water, by the gallons. Every half hour. Maybe every 15 minutes. Halfway through, you realize your skin is itching; a burning itch you cannot scratch. Your throat feels dry, and becomes irritated to a point where it begins to hurt when you cough. Soon your lungs begin to burn - just as much as your skin does. More and more ammonia is added, and soon you cannot see for your eyes burn so much you tear over. You can barely breath as your lungs begin to swell up. Your throat closes, your skin has nearly melted off of you...

Ammonia is dangerous. To people, and to animals. Especially fish who cannot escape it. We become mother nature, thus we have to care for these animals in an unnatural environment, the best we can.

Females sorority: 20 gallons or bigger is awesome. Long tanks are better IMO. Males can be alone or in a divided 5 gallon. Plecos need to be in 80+ gallons usually, since in 3 months they double in size. In 6 months a cute 1.5 inch pleco baby becomes a 10 inch monster who's waste begins to kill themselves and other fish if kept in smaller tanks.

I read the post about banning this person.. What does that teach them? That no one cares enough to help, or explain, or guide them through certain decisions we feel is wrong? Yahoo Answers is a pain. Let's never become them. I welcome the OP to the forum, and I am glad you came because now we can help you on every level to get your fish healthy and happy, and make things easier on you as a fish owner!

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 04-27-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #93 
Juditko

Welcome to the forum. I am new and have found some great help here. These are dedicated and knowledgable folks! I would definitely say I've learned a ton from reading all the "stickies" and different threads here. In additional there are a few websites that let you enter your fish, aquarium, etc and show a math calculation of the "bio load" or how you're doing on size of tank and stocking. (Does anyone remember the website name for that? I have forgotten!).

But again, welcome and good luck. The people here are passionate and care about fish!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #95 
isochronism

I do agree with Sena. Tho, at some point you wonder if A: a person refuses want to learn, or B: enjoys (cheap thrill)seeing others get frustrated trying to help at no avail.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #96 
LittleBlueFishlets

Trunkzdbz,

OK, I'm glad that you intend on getting a new tank (in two weeks). That's great.

So did you learn anything else from the 95 posts in this thread?

What about, for example, the excellent advice that Myates provided in post #3? She offered a lot of advice, much of which can be done immediately, and won't even cost anything.

Did you learn anything from post #3? If so, do you plan on making any changes?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #97 
Trunkzdbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Betta fish can be in community tanks but only under certain circumstances. Males tend to get their fins nipped, and females need to be in groups of 4 or more to ensure less drama in the tank. A single female betta may also be in a community tank, but may also face the same or similar hardships as a single male in a community tank.

Plecos are dangerous to have with any small fish. If they lack food to eat, they eat the slime coat off of the fish. The fish will more than likely die from it. Another fun fact about plecos... They crap a lot. One I had gotten, was 8 inches and had been smushed in a 10 gallon tank because the lady assumed the plecos eat crap. They don't. They may eat algae and leftover food, but never fish poop. So, they contribute to ammonia.

Ammonia... Think of ammonia like this: You are told to swim in a pool. Someone adds pure ammonia to the water, by the gallons. Every half hour. Maybe every 15 minutes. Halfway through, you realize your skin is itching; a burning itch you cannot scratch. Your throat feels dry, and becomes irritated to a point where it begins to hurt when you cough. Soon your lungs begin to burn - just as much as your skin does. More and more ammonia is added, and soon you cannot see for your eyes burn so much you tear over. You can barely breath as your lungs begin to swell up. Your throat closes, your skin has nearly melted off of you...

Ammonia is dangerous. To people, and to animals. Especially fish who cannot escape it. We become mother nature, thus we have to care for these animals in an unnatural environment, the best we can.

Females sorority: 20 gallons or bigger is awesome. Long tanks are better IMO. Males can be alone or in a divided 5 gallon. Plecos need to be in 80+ gallons usually, since in 3 months they double in size. In 6 months a cute 1.5 inch pleco baby becomes a 10 inch monster who's waste begins to kill themselves and other fish if kept in smaller tanks.

I read the post about banning this person.. What does that teach them? That no one cares enough to help, or explain, or guide them through certain decisions we feel is wrong? Yahoo Answers is a pain. Let's never become them. I welcome the OP to the forum, and I am glad you came because now we can help you on every level to get your fish healthy and happy, and make things easier on you as a fish owner!
I felt so happy reading your post, thank you for all your support on my journey to become a freshwater fishy aquarium master like you all.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #98 
Trunkzdbz

After reading your post I must thank you I learned a lot from it. I plan from now on not to use salt in my freshwater aquarium. I was using salt to reduce the chance of parasites in the water or disease. What can I do beside regular weekly water changes to reduce parasite and disease from occuring to my fishy friends, is there anything I can purchase in Pet Land Discounts to help reduce the risk of parasites and disease from occuring? I also ordered a siphon to clean all the gravels poo, and bio load I know that will help cleaning the poo every week with the weekly water changes will keep the aquarium super clean for my fishy friends. Surprisingly the 5 watt heater keeps the temparture in the tank perfect sometimes I even have to take it off because it gets above 80% if I leave it on. Thanks for all your great advice Myates please stay in touch with me I value all your great advice.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #99 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
After reading your post I must thank you I learned a lot from it. I plan from now on not to use salt in my freshwater aquarium. I was using salt to reduce the chance of parasites in the water or disease. What can I do beside regular weekly water changes to reduce parasite and disease from occuring to my fishy friends, is there anything I can purchase in Pet Land Discounts to help reduce the risk of parasites and disease from occuring? I also ordered a siphon to clean all the gravels poo, and bio load I know that will help cleaning the poo every week with the weekly water changes will keep the aquarium super clean for my fishy friends. Surprisingly the 5 watt heater keeps the temparture in the tank perfect sometimes I even have to take it off because it gets above 80% if I leave it on. Thanks for all your great advice Myates please stay in touch with me I value all your great advice.
How frequently are you changing your water?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #100 
Mr Degausser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
How frequently are you changing your water?
I was going to ask the same thing.

It sounds like he's doing weekly water changes?

IMO, with the amount of fish in the tank 50% changes 2 or 3 times a week would probably help keep the bio-load lower?
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium