betta fish
View Poll Results: Should Betta Fish be alone or used to make community tanks
Bettas should live alone 38 84.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #101 
Trunkzdbz

Once a week, I want to make sure that I keep the water clean so fin rot does occur nor parasites grow, but I also don't want to lose any good bacteria BB, that's why I only change the water once a week. I just changed the water today and all my aquarium friends are really happy and the water is crystal clear.

Last edited by Trunkzdbz; 04-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #102 
Trunkzdbz

I only change the water once a week about 50 to 60 percent water changes I leave some of the old water in about 30 to 40 to keep the BB it already has developed in my aquarium.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #103 
Mr Degausser

I know it's been mentioned before from reading the previous posts in the discussions (I also know you seem to have a hard time getting to nearby stores?), but have you considered purchasing the API freshwater liquid testing kit?

Since you're in the middle of trying to cycle your tank, I think it would be very beneficial for both you and us if you were able to test your water and post your parameters on here.

I know you have mentioned the strips but those tend to be inaccurate, and I wouldn't want you to mess up your cycle with inaccurate results.

It's a little under $20 on Amazon and it's really a life saver.

http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #104 
Fenghuang

Most parasites and other common fish ailments are opportunistic. If your fish are strong and their immune systems are not compromised, they usually will not fall sick or if they do, they will fight it off. Really, the best things you can do for your fish to keep them healthy and disease free are obvious--clean water, quality food, proper temperature range, low stress environment, things along that line... Some people do put dried/crushed indian almond leaves or oak leaves in their tanks because they have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, but when it comes down to it, there isn't any magical thing that will prevent your fish from getting sick if you ignore the most fundamental, basic things listed above. It's all proper care.

I'm glad to hear that you are trying to do the right things, Trunkzdbz. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #105 
Trunkzdbz

I saw that exact kit when I bought my API test strips. I bought the strips because I assumed they were as accurate as the master test kit. I checked my water today with a test strip because I changed the water today in my aquarium, I'm happy to say that ammonia and nitrates are at 0, my PH is at 6.0 and between 7.5. My water temp is 80% and my banana plants are getting really long and fat, my Bettas love to hide under them I have a banana plant forest of 8 banana plants for them to play and hide in.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #106 
Mr Degausser

Yeah, that would've been my first assumption too. But I guarantee you that the liquid ones are more accurate if you test them side by side.

It's been a while since I saw the strip for PH, though -- 6.0 to 7.5 seems like a really broad range?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #107 
Trunkzdbz

It shows you on the strips tube where the strips are located in Ph 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.5, 10.0. Its color coated so you know where you stand, I really like them and there easy to read. I read for my Bettas and fresh water fish in general 6.0 to 7.5 Ph is were it has to be and water temps of 62% to 82% tops my aquarium is always 70% and up right now its on 80%. My fishys look so happy swimming around and my Gold Mystery snails are climbing the walls of the tank they look so cool climbing I love them.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #108 
Mr Degausser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
water temps of 62% to 82% tops my aquarium is always 70% and up right now its on 80%.
80 degrees is great for bettas.

However, even though bettas can technically survive in low temperatures, 62 degrees would be absolute torture for a tropical fish.

Definitely keep it up above 76 or so for your fish like you have it.

The huge disparity in PH in a little worrisome? I'm sure some other forum members would agree. Even a liquid test kit for just PH would help you nail down precisely where your PH is at.

I really wouldn't suggest letting your PH get as low as 6.0. That's too acidic.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #109 
Artemis

GET THAT MALE OUT! He will die or kill the girls.
Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #110 
Mr Degausser

Yeah, like Artemis just said (and other forum members have mentioned previously), you really need to get the male out of the tank.

It's been a lucky gamble that he has survived for so long as is. Even if you just use a vase or something as temporary housing until you get him his own tank.

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium