Bettas should live alone 38 84.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #111 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
Once a week, I want to make sure that I keep the water clean so fin rot does occur nor parasites grow, but I also don't want to lose any good bacteria BB, that's why I only change the water once a week. I just changed the water today and all my aquarium friends are really happy and the water is crystal clear.
That's not enough. I don't know if you read in my first post, but I did two 50% water changes a week in a 10 g with a betta and two mystery snail and my still betta got fin rot. Mystery snails are very messy. You need at least two 50% water changes, if not more. If I were you, I would at least get the mystery snails out of the tank.

ETA: That is not saying the overstocking of the other fish is okay. I mean, leaving the male in with the females... someone is going to die at some point. I've heard it can be in very horrific ways, not that being attacked to death is ever not horrific.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 04-27-2013 at 08:44 PM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #112 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
Once a week, I want to make sure that I keep the water clean so fin rot does occur nor parasites grow, but I also don't want to lose any good bacteria BB, that's why I only change the water once a week. I just changed the water today and all my aquarium friends are really happy and the water is crystal clear.
With your bioload you must change your water more frequently. The good bacteria you refer to is not in the water collum and will not be taken out with water changes (as long as you don't do 100% water changes). Like the other members I would suggest 2-3 50% changes a week.

If you are wondering why the water changes don't affect the bacteria it is because they cling on to the hard surfaces in your tank, they aren't in the actual water.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #113 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes as fish keeper has said, the good bacteria grows on things like your filter, the walls of the tank, ornaments, plants and gravel. You aren't going to kill the bacteria by taking water out.

However if you let those items dry out (say a 24 hour period) THEN you will lose your BB, but changing out the water is not going to kill them.

How is the male doing? Does his fins look ragged at all? Is he hiding a lot?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #114 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
I do agree with Sena. Tho, at some point you wonder if A: a person refuses want to learn, or B: enjoys (cheap thrill)seeing others get frustrated trying to help at no avail.
Totally missed this post lol.... Anyways, yes, there are times we wonder that. Especially with some people who post multiple threads about different issues at hand, and the list seems to never end! I know a few on here. However, we also have the choice to block, or otherwords avoid such cases to avoid getting ourselves riled up, or become vicious. I will say this OP has a lot of patience with some of the comments slung at them.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960 cycling the tank works best when you do not over stock :) Otherwise there is too much ammonia and not enough bacteria to break it down.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #115 
Trunkzdbz

I know this is hard to believe, but he is doing fine he flares at the females and they flare at him only sometimes then just swim away, non of my bettas have any fin damage from nipping, they are establishing what I believe to be a community and each one is picking their own territory in the banana plant forest at the bottom of the tank. They respect one another, I have 8 big banana plants spread out and all of them use the banana plants to hide they love them, they float next to each other and just look at each other sometimes as if to say to one another we have to share this place so we might as well get along. They are all getting along really nice, its been almost two weeks and they are now starting to get used to each other. They know when feeding time is because when I get next to the tank they all swim to me and get super active swimming up by the top of the water, I love them so much. Late at night I stay up and talk to them about my life my problems how much they mean to me and they swim right were I'm at when I'm talking to them listening to me, it makes me love them so much. I think my Male Veiltail Betta is in love with my female white, red, and blue Betta he never flares at her or her at him I think she likes him too and he chases the other females away from her when they flare at her as if protecting her it is so amazing. I'm happy to announce the tank is crystal clear, I have Malaysian driftwood on the way for my Pleco, I also ordered new filter cartridges and activated carbon, plus Brine shrimp, a siphon to clean the poo off the gravel, and Hikira Algae wafers for my pleco, it all arrives soon from Amazon.

Last edited by Trunkzdbz; 04-29-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #116 
Sena Hansler

Betta fish cannot love. They may tolerate. This, I have seen. They get along, swim with each other, the whole nine yards. Then one day guts of one are strewn across the tank, and the other is picking at the remains. NOT a pretty sight.

I have also seen a docile female snap and completely mutilate another female. In a 10 gallon. With two others in there. I have watched female bettas gang up on the smallest, weakest female and send her into the hospital tank because it was caught in time.

NEVER ever assume human emotions upon instinctual animals. I love to say my fish love me...But they love their food. Food is their lifeline. It is instinct.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124190

They tolerate to survive.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #117 
ao
TFK Moderator

Some of the behaviours on here have been simply uneccessary. For those who have donated their knowledge, ended up being frustrated on this matter and are inclined to vent said frustration, it may just be time to click the unsubscribe button to this thread. Should he need it, the OP has access to your collective wisdom right here. The only person who can change OP's mind is him or herself.
Although the majority of us act in the best interest for the fish, we can only go as far as to guide someone else, not make decisions for them. The decision is theirs to make.

Trunkzdbz (a DBZ fan I see), I would say that it is indeed unwise to house so many creatures in such a small space. Please do take everyone's advice to mind. some of our members have had very upsetting experiences with a similar setup and are simply worried about you and your fish, their words are certainly worthy of your consideration.

Otherwise, Thank you everyone for being patient with the OP
and also, thank you to the OP for being patient with all of us

Last edited by ao; 04-29-2013 at 03:09 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 AM   #118 
Sakura8

+ 1 Aokashi.

To follow up on what Aokashi said: no more name-calling or insults. Period.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #119 
SnowySurface

I voted for Bettas should be alone because I do prefer having 1 male betta per tank. I may start a sorority in the future when I have the money to go all out with a 20 gallon heavily planted NPT. But for now I have 2 5 gallon cycled tanks set up with 2 nitrite snails and 1 male betta. However, I have live plants in my tank that many be taking some of the burden off my filter. So I think my anacharis and the second plant with the name I keep forgetting (sorry ^_^;) propably help me sneak in the second snail.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #120 
AyalaCookiejar

I only voted bettas should be alone because they should be in a 5 gallon tank, unless the tankmates are limited to shrimp and snails.

I have a ten gallon sorority with 6 females and I love it, but it may not be for everyone.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium