Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #131 
isochronism

Meant: safer :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #132 
Trunkzdbz

I need some help from my Pleco lovers out there, I just got Hikari Algae Wafers for my Common Pleco, they arrived yesterday. I dropped one in the tank yesterday evening for my Common Pleco friend. I know he is a nocturnal feeder so that's why I dropped it it in my aquarium in the evening. He is not eating it, I took off the aquarium light last night so he would feel comfortable eating it, but when I turned the aquarium light on this morning it is still in the same spot starting to disintegrate he has not touched it. I saw him yesterday getting next to it and pausing their for a moment, but then he just swam off like an hour later, why is he not eating the algae wafer, and how long should I leave the algae wafer in my aquarium? Do I leave it there to disintegrate completely or maybe he will eat it later, or should I take it out? My Gold Mystery snail is quite found of the algae wafers he is next to it as I type this, my Bettas were picking at the algae wafer yesterday when I first dropped it into my aquarium, but have since lost interest in it and are no longer nibbling on it at all. Please any advice on how to get my Common Pleco to eat algae wafers would be really appreciated, thanks in advance for any advice any one can offer me.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #133 
LadyVictorian

Just a warning, I had a common pleco and when eh got older eh ate all my fish. Common pleco's are only true algea eaters as babies but as they get older will kill and eat fish smaller than them, just an fyi. Common pleco's are only good in a fish tank supporting larger species of fish, smaller ones are just expensive treats to a common pleco.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #134 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You should take it out after an hour. If you read the package it says to leave it for an hour and if it's not eaten take it out. It's going to cloud your water and make it not safe for your friends.

He's probably too stressed to eat. What else do you feed your fish? He's probably eating flakes left over but don't leave flakes in if they don't get eaten though. This will hurt your fish if you leave food in there to rot.

Just offer a wafer probably once a week and if he doesn't eat it within an hour or start to nibble on it, take it out.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #135 
ollief9

I have a common pleco :D He's currently 8 years old, 10 inches long and in a 50 gallon tank. Plecos can be very shy so make sure you have lots of hiding places and they love to eat zucchini. Algae wafers are fine also. They are very very very hardy fish and will live through anything so you don't need to worry that much. However, you definitely need a much larger tank (50 gallons+).

If your pleco isn't eating, it's probably stressed. Make sure it has a cave to hide in and check that the water is at least 75 degrees (do you have a heater?).

Last edited by ollief9; 05-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #136 
Trunkzdbz

I do have a heater and I always keep my water at 80%, I hope my pleco is not stressed, I mean he eats don't get me wrong, I love the little guy and am looking into buying a 55 gallon aquarium, I was thinking 30 gallon but I really want a 55 gallon to be my next tank. I have Malaysian drift wood in the tank with a huge banana plant forest which my Bettas, my snails, and my pleco love to hide in. I also have a real rock which is circular and they love it, I just hope my pleco likes the wafers, because I also feed my aquarium friend's, brine shrimp, blood worms, and Spectrum balanced diet pellets, their diet is top of the line the best and in the right amounts.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #137 
Sakura8

Don't forget to give him fresh veggies! Plecos love cucumber and zucchini. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #138 
Sena Hansler

55 would be better than a 30 for the pleco anyways :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #139 
ollief9

Quote:
I do have a heater and I always keep my water at 80%, I hope my pleco is not stressed, I mean he eats don't get me wrong, I love the little guy and am looking into buying a 55 gallon aquarium, I was thinking 30 gallon but I really want a 55 gallon to be my next tank. I have Malaysian drift wood in the tank with a huge banana plant forest which my Bettas, my snails, and my pleco love to hide in. I also have a real rock which is circular and they love it, I just hope my pleco likes the wafers, because I also feed my aquarium friend's, brine shrimp, blood worms, and Spectrum balanced diet pellets, their diet is top of the line the best and in the right amounts.
You sound like you're doing fine for now, I think you just need to wait until you can get a bigger tank :) Good luck!
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium