Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #41 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
I acknowledge what you guys are saying and really appreciate all you guys advice, that's why I joined this community in the first place to be around great knowledgeable fish lovers like you all. I promise you guys everything I am doing is with the best interest of my fishy at heart, I love them all so much. I know I am going to make mistakes along the way as I learn to keep an aquarium, I've only had this 5 gallon since 4/18/13 about 8 days only. I really like talking to all on here, please realize I am new and will make mistakes, and I will get better with experience, I'm happy to say every fishy in my tank is presently healthy and I will do my absolute best to keep it that way. I will be uploading more pics today if you all would like to see them feel free to just click on my name, and once again thanks to all who want to help me make my fishy and me happy.
Thank you for saying that you are acknowledging us, from your previous post it had me under the impression that you were just going to disregard us!

I think we're safe to say that any advise previous to this post is taken into consideration and we can stop reiterating everything that's already been said.

Bombing someone with information is also not a very good approach and I realize my mistakes as well and I apologize for calling you daft. I think, however, it would be wise for you to check out the stickies in the Betta Care section.

I'm very sorry for all the bombardment of statements, but we are just a worried community and want to see everyone's fish's flourish!

If you do have any questions though, we will all do our best to answer them for you and help you get onto a good track to keep your fish healthy!

I hope you do actually enjoy your stay here and join us as a Betta Enthusiast, don't be afraid to ask questions! (I promise it probably won't be as bad as this thread here haha)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #42 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

*Is smiling big time* Thanks everyone now this is what I`m talking about when I say we are here to help each other...You all rock !!!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #43 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Go right ahead. I am not going to be sympathetic if they die
This comment was uncalled for, Shaina.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #44 
Myates

As mentioned, no reason to continue saying the recommendations over and over.. now we should be figuring out how to correct the problem and what your plans are.
:)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #45 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I have a couple of questions:

1. By "each time I cycle my tank," did you mean each time you do a water change?
2. Do you add 1 *tablespoon* of marine salt? I would think one tablespoon per five gallons (probably more like four gallons) of water is too much of any salt. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
3. Did you do a fishless cycle or did you set up your aquarium on April 18 and add the fish at that time (or close). If you are cycling now, be prepared for the nitrite and amonia spikes. It sometimes take a while for it to happen.

Bioload is extremely important which is what concerns people here with the pleco and two snails in a five gallon. The amount of poo they produce requires daily water changes AND daily vaccuming of the gravel just to keep up. You might not see it, but it's there.

If you reasearch Goldfish (which I love and used to raise) you will find they do not belong in a tropical aquarium. One reason is the amount of poo but also they require cold water and are not good in a heated tropical environment. Like I said, I love them, but they are truly "dirty" fish. Also, even in a 20 gallon the Bettas will make mincemeat of their tails and Goldfish are really, really slow ... think a turtle on Valium.

If you didn't find this article in your research, you might want to check it out. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-97842/

If you go to plecofanatics.com, you will find the general concensus is that plecos do not like/tolerate salt.

And something I discovered which really horrified me: I was occasionally feeding freeze dried tubifex worms and bloodworms. Then someone on this forum said they expanded when in the Betta's stomach so soak them in a bit of tank water first. I did...and WOW! was I shocked at how much they expanded. So, when I do feed them, I soak. Along with the above, Si and Willie eat pellets, frozen bloodworms (thawed in tank water) and freeze dried brine shrimp. They get pellets daily but the others maybe twice a week.

Hope this (or at least some of it) helps.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #46 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
2. Do you add 1 *tablespoon* of marine salt? I would think one tablespoon per five gallons (probably more like four gallons) of water is too much of any salt. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And something I discovered which really horrified me: I was occasionally feeding freeze dried tubifex worms and bloodworms. Then someone on this forum said they expanded when in the Betta's stomach so soak them in a bit of tank water first. I did...and WOW! was I shocked at how much they expanded. So, when I do feed them, I soak. Along with the above, Si and Willie eat pellets, frozen bloodworms (thawed in tank water) and freeze dried brine shrimp. They get pellets daily but the others maybe twice a week.
Just a couple tips -

AQ salt is fine when treating external ailments such as ich, fin rot, etc.. but for only a limited amount of time with these fish, and a certain amount (do not exceed 3tsp per gallon, and for 10-14 days at a time).

As for the freeze dried.. it's a myth. It's because you see them expand that makes one think they do that in the stomach, but they don't. The intestines just simply don't work that way. What causes bloating in fish is due to over feeding of low quality food - so it's not that the freeze dried expanded, but that it was fed too much that caused the bloating. At least from what biologists and researchers say.. doesn't expand the gut, just the over feeding of low quality food such as FD causes issues.

It's actually recommended not to soak food prior to feeding fish.. their food (pellets, flakes and FD) start to loose nutrients the moment it hits water, so by soaking the food first you are then giving even less of a nutritious food.

Just thought I'd throw that in - it's something that some people read some where and believed it (due to see the expanding food).. heck, I believed it at first.. but after research and talking to people who have backgrounds in biology (both marine and general), etc.. learned it's just not the case.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #47 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Actually, I believe I read about soaking food on this forum. With dogs it is widely believed giving large amounts of water after they eat dry food can contribute to bloat so it made sense to me the same thing could happen to a Betta.

The way I read it, the OP adds one tablespoon of salt with every cycle (partial water change?). That's what I thought might be too much.

Thanks for the correction/information. I've always found being told one might be wrong causes one to think more than being told one is right.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #48 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't understand what they mean by "every cycle". Does that just mean every water change? Cycling a tank doesn't mean every time you change the water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #49 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

That's why I asked if the OP was using "cycle" when what was meant was partial water change. Hope we get an answer.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #50 
mermaid77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
http://www.bettatalk.com/water.htm Check out this website one of many that is specifically about Betta care it clearly states at the bottom of the page this and I qoute "Salt. Yes, bettas are not marine fish, but they do love a bit of salt in their water and it also prevents parasites and fungus. Add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt, or rock salt per 5 gal of water (not table salt!!!! They are bettas, not pretzels!!). Now a day, I actually put 1 teaspoon per 10 gal. What that means is that you can play around a bit with your salt amount, and I have found that anything between 1 teaspoon per 10 gal to 1 tablespoon per 5 gal works. "
Hi and welcome :)

As one newb to another...I just wanted to mention that I too followed the advice of this website. Unfortunately I found it prior to this forum. The site advised if one's pH is too high, it's fine to go ahead and adjust it using pH Down....and so I did. My first fish suffered from it. That and the salt. He got Hole in the head disease and the small amounts of AQ salt that I had been using at the very beginning (I discovered it was a NO, NO very quickly ) made his fin rot, which he was already suffering from when I purchased him, more resistant to treatment.
By then I had switched him to meds, but the poor little guy must've had all he was able to take from my inexperienced handling... My fish died after only 5 weeks...
We all make mistakes starting out, and there really is a lot of conflicting info out there as to the do's and don'ts...Researching and asking questions HERE is where I have been able to understand and learn from my mistakes...
I'm no stranger to spending a lot of money into this hobby, but it means nothing unless you have healthy fish thriving in the set up you have invested in for them...
Please... heed all the good advice given here...these are great, knowledgeable people who truly have the fish's well being at heart...:)
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium