betta fish
View Poll Results: Should Betta Fish be alone or used to make community tanks
Bettas should live alone 38 84.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #81 
Myates

Have to say... would of been cheaper to go spend $30 and get a 10g at Walmart, separate the male/females of bettas, return the pleco.. and all would be happy :)

Food won't prevent Hold in the Head disease.. in fact, I believe bettas can not get HitHD at all. At one time I questioned one of my bettas with it, but with much research and another member here helping we find bettas can't get that disease.

Your two main concerns at this point is aggression and ammonia. Unfortunately you wasted your money on Amazon - those items you purchased are cheaper at Walmart and you don't have to wait to get them.

Your fish won't last months while you wait to get another tank.. this situation needs to be handled quickly, as I'm sure there are problems already happening.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #82 
smaughunter

Quote:
do I take all my aquarium buddies out into my 1 gallon tank while I change the water in my 5 gallon aquarium?
OP, if you have a one gallon tank on hand I recommend that you rehome your male betta into it immediately. This will not solve your problems but it will prevent your male from getting killed, say today or tomorrow.

Also instead of buying a 30 gallon in the distant future why not buy a 10 gallon kit today? Your female bettas and snails can go into the ten, the male can live in the 5. As for the pleco, you ought to rehome him, in my opinion. He would really be most comfortable in a 50 gallon or larger aquarium.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #83 
NeptunesMom

Wow. That's a lot of fish in a tiny tank. I work at a pet store, and if you came in and told us what you were going to do we would refuse sale to you and tell all the workers to watch for you. If any of your fish died, we would not refund it either (assuming you came at a busy time and the worker did not ask your tank size because they were in a hurry).

While I can't say I'm an expert I have done a lot of research about media. I am in grad school and have always had an interest in media. I also have an MBA with an interest in uses of social media, (and sales, but that's another topic). The internet is an awesome source of information, and a great equalizer of knowledge. Research shows sites like Wikipedia is just as accurate as Britannica. But, at the same time, anyone and everyone is not just a knowledge consumer, but a knowledge producer. This means that a person with 2 weeks knowledge on a topic can get online, create a website, and call themselves an "expert". They can quite quickly create an army of disciples who go out and spread bad information throughout the far reaches of the internet. Think about how things go "viral" and how often those are inaccurate. Anyway, moral of the story is... the internet is a great place to learn, but you need to be very wary and make information producers earn your trust. I read this forum for several months (I joined in May 2012, and started reading in like November of December 2011), it was at that time I decided there was enough credible information on this site to become a member. I have learned who I trust 100%, and those whose advice I use as a starting point to do more research. A lot of those people I trust 100% have given you advice. I would follow it, but that's just me.

ETA: My media classes have been in Mass Communication and Philosophy. Just so you know my background in media. I am not a media scholar, but do have an interest in it and it is playing a pivotal tole in my thesis.

ETAA: I had one betta in a 10 g with two mystery snails with 2 weekly 50% water changes, and the bioload was still too much. I had to take the betta out and let the snails have the tank. The betta kept getting fin rot as a result. I would bet you're going to see fin rot (at the least) in your tank before too long. Mine took about a month before it happened.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 04-27-2013 at 12:41 PM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #84 
Trunkzdbz

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Just my opinion but...I feel the OP is nothing more than a troll. Thus I feel this thread should be closed and the OP banned to prevent further drama within the community.
I am not a troll, please be respectful I am very respectful if you don't have anything nice to say or advice you can give me, please do not call me names its very disrespectful and does hurt my feelings. I am just a person who loves fishys and am learning how to keep an aquarium, of course I am going to make mistakes and learn from them, but to be mean and call me names is not going to help me or my fishy it just makes me not want to come back here to keep getting called names and be treated poorly by other members.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #85 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi Trunkzdbz,

We are so glad to hear that you are care about your fish, and that you are learning more about how to care for them! This forum is great, isn't it?

Based on what you've read in this thread so far, do you plan on making any changes to your tank? If so, what do you plan on changing?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #86 
Trunkzdbz

I want to get a bigger tank that's the next thing I am going to do for sure. My next purchase will be a 30 gallon tank, I think I will get it my next check in two weeks from what all the friends I have made here tell me I really need it. Yup, a new tank for my fishy will be coming soon. I will upload pics of it as soon as I get it I promise.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #87 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi again there Trunkz, glad you're getting the 30 gallon.

Have you read much about the Nitrogen cycle? I know it can be really confusing so I was wondering if you had any questions about it because it will really help your fish :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #88 
Trunkzdbz

Nitrogen cycle, well um do you mean the nitrate in the tank that comes from the fishy poo? If you mean something else please explain so I can learn more about my aquarium, thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #89 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

This picture is a great representative I believe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aq...ogen_Cycle.png

Soooo what happens is that you feed your fish and then they poo. That is ammonia, when the tank is not cycled this ammonia can poison your fish and hurt their gills.

Cycling the tank is the process of making the tank safe for your critters, it doesn't mean adding new water or anything. It has to go through a process to turn Ammonia into Nitrites and then into Nitrates.

All of these are bad for your fishies in big doses (so the amount of poo that is building up in your 5 gallon right now is bad for them. Dose that make sense?)

To start the cycle your tank has to be set up (like it already is) and then there needs to be a source of ammonia to start feeding the Beneficial Bacteria. These Beneficial Bacteria or BB is what keeps your fish safe from the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

So you start off with one fish to produce some poo and then the ammonia will spike up (this can be stressful for you fish so we only recommend one fish while doing this) and then after about two weeks the ammonia will go down and the Nitrites come join the party! And then again, after about two weeks the Nitrates will come in and want to crash the party! After that you need to do a large water change, about 75% of the water.

Right after that big water change you now have grown some very beneficial bacteria and your tank is safe for your fish! Without this bacteria your fishies won't be very happy and they can be poisoned from all that poo they are producing. You wouldn't want to swim in your toilet after you've used it right?

I hope this helps and if I've lost you, please tell me :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #90 
Trunkzdbz

I think I understand, thanks!!! :)

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium