Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #1 
LucidSong

Question Question about Plants

So my LPS does not sell live plants but my Walmart does (wierd right?) But they don't get tjem in all the time and what they have right now is Moneywart and Mint Charlie. So my question is has anyone used these plants and if so how did they work for you?
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #2 
gorillakev

Moneywort is great low light plant, i have moneywort in a couple of my tanks. Moneywort is a pretty hardy stem plant. Mint Charlie I've never tried it before. I seriously doubt Walmart is using adequete lights, so I'm thinking if it survives in their tanks then most likely its pretty hardy. Try it out.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #3 
LucidSong

I put some Cherry Amazon Swords and normal ones in from the same walmart about a week ago (finding live plants out where I live is hard so people snatch it up) and within a few days both plants have doubled in size and leaf counts.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #4 
gorillakev

Good to hear that you getting good growth. Keep it up
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #5 
LucidSong

Yeah. I honnestly didn't expect them to grow so fast. I haven't relly done anything with my water. Save for betta conditioner from wally world.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #6 
Stone

If you can find the pets dept manager you can ask him to order more plants, typically walmarts get their fish delivery on thursday and they have to get their order in by monday
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #7 
LucidSong

Well I work at this walmart and from what I'm hearing they will be moving me over to that department. (Yay someone who really cares) I've talked to the manager several times and hinted at things I was looking for and have noticed these things are now showing up in the tanks. XD
Ill talk to him more later today.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

mint charlie is a nice ppant ;) smells nice too :D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #9 
LucidSong

UPDATE:
So I ended up getting 3 Moneywart plants and one Mint Charlie. I had to take out some of my fake plants for the real ones which I don't mint at all. I love the color of real plants much more. Now my question is this. . . I use gravel, should I use something else if I keep adding plants or will gravel suffice?
Oh and one more question, now that my tank is simi planted what do I do with the plants during water changes? Do I have to take them out each time I do a 100% (every other week)? If I don't take them out how do I clean the gravel?

Last edited by LucidSong; 05-05-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: one more question
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #10 
Stone

well you might need to use fert to make the plants grow or go npt or get like eco complete or one of the many other plant substrates, and you wont have to do a 100% water change unless you really want to you just leave the plants in and change the water
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote